Dunwich Dynamo 24th July 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
What a ride!!

It seemed a bit easier this year thanks to all the FNR I've done but still hard work, especially the last 30 miles to Ipswich to catch the train. If I had attempted to ride all the way home, I would probably still be going now
biggrin.gif

Thanks to Steve and family for all the food at the halfway stop and Dunwich. Hit the spot perfectly.
thumbsup.png

I think I did about 160 miles in all (yet to get the energy to upload the garmin data) and arrived home 26 hours after I left. A new personal record!

I'm so glad I took today off work now.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
I'm another one with the day off!
Thanks to Steve and family, excellent support. Food stop at Sudbury was better than I could imagine, and the breakfast set me up for the ride home. Took me ages.

Great night and lots of fantastic memories. The neon tandem, the sleepers in random fields in Suffolk, the dog in a basket, the pint at Finchingfield at midnight, and watching the clubbers in Sudbury at 1am.

Thanks to all and glad to have met some of you in the flesh. I too thought Tynan would turn out to be a chirpy cockney type character (COG), must be the avatar!! :-)

Arrived Liverpool street and found Sig, we waited inside for a few minutes then decided to stand outside and wait for User1314 (nice bike) and Redjedi. Just as Luke had plotted the route to the pub on the park Sig spotted Crinklylion and Wowbagger riding past so we jumped on the back of there little group and they led us straight to the start. Gradually we found the rest of team Cycle Chat. We set off at 8:30 and followed the long line of cyclists weaving through the saturday night traffic, we soon hit a much wider and straight road heading up to Epping. By now we had split into 2 or 3 groups, i was riding with Sig, Cog and Redjedi, later on Kats joined us. We managed to stay together quite well and kept a good pace all the way.
We regrouped a few times through the night with the fast ones but once moving again they were soon out of sight. We found the CC support crew at the secret location and some much needed food and drink. Setting off again we soon split into smaller groups and followed the snaking line of flashing red led's, in places it looked a very impressive sight. My fave time of day soon arrived(sunrise) and the birds started to wake up. We carried on winding our way through the countryside and by now lights went off ,when we arrived at Dunwich we found Steve's van and the rest of the team, apart from Tynan who had taken a closer look at the countryside(glad you got back to the smoke allright Ty).
Nice filling breakfast from the brill support crew (thank you very much).After a nice long rest and a quick look at the sea Sig, Crock, Redjedi and myself headed to Ipswich and the train to LS, got to KX and only had a ten minute wait for a train to stevenage, another 9 miles home via the stables and sat down with a bottle of cider at 8:30.

Thanks to all for a great night out. see you soon.
john.:tired:

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm sitting at home too - feeling a bit jet-lagged!

My first Dunwich Dynamo and it surpassed my expectations. Excellent company and organisation played apart as did a great route and perfect weather conditions. I said I'd put up an account - apologies for errors and omissions

I joined the growing CC group in London Fields just after 7. There was a wonderful relaxed party atmosphere in the lead up to the start. Lots of people milling around the pub, the park and ajoining streets and enjoying themselves, with bicycles everywhere! It was good to put faces, names and forum aliases to each other. After a couple of energy drinks from the pub, we set off at about 8 and wove our way through the lanes and the East London badlands.

At Epping Forest we had a re-group stop at a busy petrol station. The early puncture casualty caught us up and Alan was able to fix his loose mudguard with a magic cable tie. From the stop, I particularly remember Des, who had arrived fresh from Brighton to accompany us on this first stage, telling a lady driver who blew her horn at him that he didn’t think there was any point in him moving out of her way as he wasn’t confident she could get her car through her intended gap!

Suitably re-grouped, we headed onto the open roads, passing the slower cyclists as we went. As ever on a big ride there were a few who had tarted up their bikes. Therewas a tandem with a sound system, another lit up a like a Christmas tree, a solo which had wheel lights with lights which made them look like they were on fire, and a cargo bike with a medium-sized dog in the front basket!

Another re-group by a roundabout at Great Baddow allowed us to eat, and to do more cyclist-watching, then we were back out onto the really open country, on empty roads, heading forour own CycleChat café support vehicle in Sudbury. Big thanks to Steve and also to Roxy and Greg, for the back-up, not least for feeding us at half-way. The soup was just what we needed and it was great to miss the queues! Some of us sat and chatted but Rinas showed his Audax experience by fitting in a power nap in the grass verge!

I mostly rode round with Dan/Coruskate, Alan, Biscuit and, when he was not answering emergency calls, Steve. We bowled along for mile after mile at a good pace (average riding speed was 17mph when we were moving), overtaking countless other riders as we went (some three times over due to our lengthy stops!). Alan and Biscuit were riding single speed sotended to push up the hills quicker, while I was climbing a bit slower so sometimes had to put in some work at the top of the hill to regain contact!

I particularly enjoyed the first hour after our mid-way stop. This is a crucial stage in a night ride, right in the middle of the night when it can be very difficult if tiredness sets in and there is still a long way to go. We rode for perhaps 10 miles with a group in Ilford club kit, who seemed a well-drilled outfit who were safe to follow, and who also had some pretty powerful lights on the front of their group. When I was in the front all I could see was my own shadow illuminated by my puny Cat Eyes. I enjoyed riding with them so it was a shame that we had to drop them when we upped our pace as the first signs of dawn started to appear!

Route-finding mostly went smoothly. I quickly realised that, in the dark, I was going to struggle to follow my route sheet as I couldn’t see it! Mostly I followed others in the manner of a sheep – sheer weight of numbers giving confidence. There was a bit of comedy around the half-way point where, because of the feeding station, there were cyclists heading in various different directions. At one point Dan and I waited at one silent junction trying to decide where to go. We had just decided to go right, when about 20 cyclists sped in front of us from right to left, looking like a Benny Hill chase scene!

Dan and I finished around 6:30. A little snooze on the beach was followed by breakfast - slightly later than planned as the support vehicle had gone back to rescue Tynan with a spare wheel (pro-team back-up or what!)

The low point was probably the return. I had entertained thoughts of riding all the way back. But I enjoyed breakfast too much, drank too much beer and sat around bantering for too long. I pretended not to notice when Rinas set off for his return journey, and decided I'd ride to Ipswich. Without the benefit of the tail-wind and with tiredness having set in, cycling was much more of an effort and I felt sluggish, and the 32 miles to Ipswich took over 2.5 hours. But the train journey from there was smooth, with more opportunity to chat to other cyclists, and, in my case, to nod off in mid-conversation!

Edit - crossed posts with redflight and redjedi. Glad I wasn't the only one who found it hard going back to Ipswich!

bigfoot

I don't know any of you lot, but I had a brilliant ride. My first Dunwich and hopefully not my last. We made the halfway stop before the queues (as another poster mentioned the queues were huge on exit). We arrived in dunwich for 5:20, the fryup + snooze on beach + swim was much needed.

here are some of my memories from the ride:

+ it was warm, very warm. Nice tail wind and only a few spots of rain during the night.

+ was amazed how many people were asleep at the roadside along the route. I just wanted to get to the finish.

+ was a shame I didn't see more bikes and riders decorated in lights. I'd hoped to see more.

+ the neverending site of flashing red lights dissapearing into the darkness. Quite magical.

+ missing a right turn and ending up in Lavenham (sorry to the riders who followed us).

+ seeing someone doing the ride in jeans!!! and a tandem rider wearing a long dress!!! Crazy

+ a near miss fatality. Van overtook us and nearly hit a car headon. The rider infront of us must still be cleaning his shorts!

+ the annoying kids on their bmx bikes weaving all over the place with no lights.

+ the open house at 90 miles - what a welcome sight. We were out of water at this point. Bacon butties were on hand here too.

+ the first hour on the beech was fecking cold. So much nicer when the sun came out and it warmed up. Made the swim more enjoyable too.

+ no punctures or mechanical problems thankfully. The roads were pitch black and really not the place for doing repairs.

+ kudos to Barry and his team ( I will be sending an email). The coach back and return of bikes was very slick.

+ great banter with fellow riders.

cheers

stevevw

Guru
We rode for perhaps 10 miles with a group in Ilford club kit, who seemed a well-drilled outfit who were safe to follow, and who also had some pretty powerful lights on the front of their group. When I was in the front all I could see was my own shadow illuminated by my puny Cat Eyes. I enjoyed riding with them so it was a shame that we had to drop them when we upped our pace as the first signs of dawn started to appear!

Frank I think you will find they stopped to water the bush's. I know as that is when I stopped ridding to start the marathon phone call / text session. I must say I was tempted to switch the phone off and follow them all the way up to Dunwich, but I stupidly thought I had better help out a fellow CCer. :smile:

frank9755

Cyclist
Frank I think you will find they stopped to water the bush's. I know as that is when I stopped ridding to start the marathon phone call / text session. I must say I was tempted to switch the phone off and follow them all the way up to Dunwich, but I stupidly thought I had better help out a fellow CCer. :smile:

Damn!  I thought we were just too good for them.  However, there's usually a rational explanation!

zigzag

Veteran
a splendid weekend dedicated to cycling. after a nights ride to the brigthon and back to london i had full 2hrs to sleep, then get ready for Dun run. the weather was fine and i couldn't find excuses not to go (being tired - not an excuse). cc folk was easy to spot by their jerseys, it was good to see some faces from last night's ride and meet the ones I haven't met before. my friend Tadas has turned up later on and we made a move at quarter to nine.

i've read that there was around 1400 cyclist taking part this year, but it seemed many more, there was a constant stream with only few gaps. we arrived to sudbury and found a stevevw's van, his hospitable family and mr.biscuit. after a nice meal i had a chance to have a nap, then we all started rolling again. i was pleasantly surprised by the surface of the roads, very smooth and well maintained. finally we reached Dunwich at 7am. later the van has turned up (after providing support to tynan) and we all had a very welcome and much needed breakfast cooked by stevevw. appearently i've slept for some time in a chair, and then we started making arrangements to get back home. it was already the longest ride for my mate, so we chose redjedi's route back via towns with train stations (there was also a 2 miles of forest road, which he didn't mention!). Tadas hopped on the train at ipswich and i carried on towards london, deciding to take a train if i'm too tired. manningtree, colchester, tiptree, billericay, is that m25 underneath? nearly home then. but the last bit is always the hardest - traffic lights, bad roads, polution, congestion.. i had a vision of a hot bath and nice meal when i get back home, and this thought has kept me going. reached home at 7:30pm, very tired, but no pains or sores.

once again big thanks to stevevw and his crew, and to other cc folk for making this ride such a pleasure. now cutting back on cycling for 3 weeks.

frank9755

Cyclist
a splendid weekend dedicated to cycling. after a nights ride to the brigthon and back to london i had full 2hrs to sleep, then get ready for Dun run. the weather was fine and i couldn't find excuses not to go (being tired - not an excuse). cc folk was easy to spot by their jerseys, it was good to see some faces from last night's ride and meet the ones I haven't met before. my friend Tadas has turned up later on and we made a move at quarter to nine.

i've read that there was around 1400 cyclist taking part this year, but it seemed many more, there was a constant stream with only few gaps. we arrived to sudbury and found a stevevw's van, his hospitable family and mr.biscuit. after a nice meal i had a chance to have a nap, then we all started rolling again. i was pleasantly surprised by the surface of the roads, very smooth and well maintained. finally we reached Dunwich at 7am. later the van has turned up (after providing support to tynan) and we all had a very welcome and much needed breakfast cooked by stevevw. appearently i've slept for some time in a chair, and then we started making arrangements to get back home. it was already the longest ride for my mate, so we chose redjedi's route back via towns with train stations (there was also a 2 miles of forest road, which he didn't mention!). Tadas hopped on the train at ipswich and i carried on towards london, deciding to take a train if i'm too tired. manningtree, colchester, tiptree, billericay, is that m25 underneath? nearly home then. but the last bit is always the hardest - traffic lights, bad roads, polution, congestion.. i had a vision of a hot bath and nice meal when i get back home, and this thought has kept me going. reached home at 7:30pm, very tired, but no pains or sores.

once again big thanks to stevevw and his crew, and to other cc folk for making this ride such a pleasure. now cutting back on cycling for 3 weeks.

Well done on doing both rides there and back - quite an achievement!  

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one Rimas that's impressive. What was your total mileage for the weekends riding?

Tynan

Veteran
bravo zig, I like to think I'd had tried the return ride, I felt okish on arrival after my 2 hour rest after my minor mechanical, the car pack facilities were certainly restoring, but no front wheel took that one out of hands, I was worried about the arrival time too after getting there so late

my legs were okish considering but I'll admit the arse was a bit sore, the saddle wants some fine tuning/replacing

Steve, please don't even joke about leaving me stranded :ohmy: your family could not have been more supportive and decent, I'd ahve been understanding if they ploitely told me no, given they were at Dunwich already and setting up for receiving everyone, Tynan gvies them 5/5 with a merit

rb58

Enigma
What a great night! Plenty of adventures on the way there - especially the guy who stepped on to the verge to answer the call of nature only to discover it wasn't a verge, but a ditch. All that could be seen was his head above the tall grass. Very funny.

Got to Dunwich just after 5.00am. Couldn't see any CC jerseys or a likely looking van, so set off for the retun about 6.15am. Rode with a couple of others to Ipswich, then continued on my own when they took the train option. Made it as far as Brentwood, when a niggling ankle got the better of me and I decided the last leg was best done on 4 wheels. Not too disappointed though as I passed the 300km barrier, then the 200 mile barrier - both of which were a first for me. Without the sore ankle I'm certain I would have made it home - it's only about 25 miles from Brentwood. The legs were tired, but fine, although as soon as I stepped off the bike it was all I could do to stay awake.

I'll derfinitely be doing it again next year.

Cheers

Ross

Top Bottom