Dunwich Dynamo 24th July 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
[QUOTE 645150"]
I have no GPS or map and no idea where Dunwich is.
[/quote]

It's always worked for me, we'll be in the minority that wn;t have a GPS

heading east will get you to the coast but that's a big thing,

as for supplies, you don't need that much if you've had a good scoff before leaving. with the camper vans in place, I'm only doing a soreen, some sandwiches and some chocolate peanuts for emergencies

redjedi

Über Member
Getting nervously excited now.

Bike is lubed, checked and ready. About to head off to the LBS for a new pair of mitts, batteries and perhaps a new saddlebag.

I'll be over prepared as ever, and will probably carry most of it home again . Energy bars and powder, bananas, tubes, tools, pump, batteries, windproof jacket, arm warmers, sunscreen, spare top and socks for the ride back. Ready for anything
biggrin.gif

See you outside Liverpool street at 6.30

tmcd35

The view outside my window and BBC Weather are disagreeing with one another. Some serious black stuff hanging in the Norfolk sky atm. Hoping the BBC's forcast wins out and I'm just looking through a dirty window...

redjedi

Über Member
My flatmate has decided to have his birthday today, so he's out in the garden drinking beer and cooking food on the bbq.
angry.gif

I'm about to go and cook some pasta

Tynan

Veteran
a 2 hour nap!

which must thave helped because Is till feel knackered, why do my calves ache?

I've just done a list, there's a lot on it and that assumes good weather, it beautiful here in London, no wind that I can see which is perhaps the most important thing

tmcd35

Well I'm sitting in the park listening to some banging tunes, watching the cricket and awaiting the off! Next stop Dunwich - god help us.

God luck all...

frank9755

Cyclist
I hope you are all having a great ride...on the last leg now I suspect....I'm looking forward to reportage and pictures of this epic.

Thanks 'Teef
Just got home now. Quite an epic ride, with great conditions, a lovely tail wind and great organisational back-up behind Team CycleChat.
Everyone finished with no injuries to report.

Will post some details later!

Tynan

Veteran
Tynan is home with a twisted front wheel, some eeny weeny roadrash and a powerful stink of stale sweat which the people on the train from Liverpool Street to here must have loved

New bug Simon from the CTC forum, resplendant in Team Cambridge cycle top managed to get a puncture by pushing bike across 20 yards of grass as we were about to start. the production of his pump attrcated two riders who asked to borrow it, they had a pump but didn;t know who to use it ...

no DD would be complete without me falling off, this time the newly spiffed bike had its idiot rider slot the front wheel into a narrow but deep trench between the tarmac and the verge proper, resulting in a rather splendid forward rolling sumersault from the rider and the front wheel being impressively pretzeled, sterling work from Simon bending against a nearby telegraph pole improved it to very badly buggered indeed, things were looking bleak until Simon, bless him, remembered a chance remark from Steve at London Fields, there were two spare wheels in his camper, bleonging to Alex (bless him)

Steve had bagggsied the rear after breaking a spoke on the way to the start but the front remaining, lots of calls and texts to Steve and his delightful daughter resulting in them driving back from Dunwich where they'd just arrived with the wheel, brilliant, the production of Steve's track pump stopped not one but two couples who asked or a go on it, none of the four had a pump

So off we went again from what we were fairly sure the utter back of the entire ride, we passed some sights back there let me tell you

we passed and reapassed the chap on a colossal cargo bike, carrying amongst other things in a huge basket, a springer spaniel that seemed to be having a huge night out, as he passed us as we had a small rest with fifteen miles to go, I told Steve we should wait to give him a bit of lead so that when we passed him, he'd have no time to get back at us, it worked like a dream

Steve, his daughter and the prospective son in law all worked like Trojans to feed, beer and water us, Alex supplied a wheel, daugher and PSIL drove an extra 80 miles in the dark to bring me the wheel, the rest of them made sarcastic remarks and quips at me when i got there, Simon stayed with me the two plus hours I was stranded, all I put back in was lots of loud bad jokes

I managed to wangle a lift back on the furniture trucks, they wanted someone in every truck that 'knew where Smithfield was', ludicrously they found me the most plausible and I went in the lead truck, I slowly realized that meant knowng a route to Smithfield suitable for a large and long vehicle, after a tortuous route involving three seperate squeezings of a huge truck through a tiny gap, the truck driver wouldn't speak to me any more and i scarpered pronto before the other drivers caught up with me

I can't say I noticed a tail wind, I thought I was ridng very well, other than falling off, again

All good

tmcd35

Alas I did not complete it :sad:

Started out fine. Set off at 8pm and before I knew it I was eating a Banana at Morton, recharging the batteries for the next leg. Got as far as Great Dunmow with little problem at all. Then fatigue hit. My body wanted it's usual good nights sleep, and I wanted to do the bike ride - a serious conflict of interest going there! A stopped and sat on a wall in the middle of nowhere, somewhere between Great Dunmow and Great Bardfield. After about 15mins I got back on the pedals and past an Ambulance, looks like a fellow ride had an accident. At Great Bardfield I spent almost an hour kipping under a big tree in the center of the village listening to the locals snoring. At this point I realised I'd been getting slower and slower for a while and was lucky if I was averaging 8mph. I soldiered on past Finchingfield. At Weathersfield I finally turned off towards Braintree. It must have took me a couple of hours part walking, part cycling to cover the 7 miles to Braintree where I kipped down on the edge of an housing estate for an hour. I then pushed the bike to Cressing Road where I found an open garage and finally bought some nerophen for the headache that'd been plaguing me for miles. I then wized through the 6 miles to Witham without any problems what so ever.

I got to Witham Station at 7:20 and had an hour and half wait for the train home. About 40 minutes later the train from Braintree brought in a group of three riders who seem to have as tough a time as I was having. They had 5 punctures between then and lost around 2hours of time fixing those punctures. At about the same point I turned off they found themselves totally demoralised and they too had turned off for Braintree. They had kipped down at Braintree trainstation for the rest of the night.

All in all I did a little over 60miles which for my first go at night cycling I'm pleased with. I know I can do further, I've done 75mi once and 100mi once, just not at 2 in the morning. I'll be back next July and will complete! I've got a year to get used to that sort of milage and I need to start getting into some FNR's.

Tynan

Veteran
[QUOTE 645164"]
Introduced myself to Tynan. Was expecting some foul-mouthed cockney skinhead but wasn't.
[/quote]

!

I, and a significant quanity of cake, made it to the beach. 15 cakes left York with me, and I managed to distrubute all bar 5 of them by the time I hit the sea although I think there was only one CCer who found me to get one :smile:

I have confirmed that attempting the dun run as your first century+ ride, first attempt at tandeming (if you discount 10 minutes round the block to see if I could reach the pedals a few weeks back) and first clipless ride is utterly insane, but rather good fun. It was distinctly warm, so I ended up stashing my t-shirt in the panniers at an early stop (when other were donning arm warmers and extra layers) and completing the entire ride wearing my vest!

A most pleasant swim the sea, followed by drying off and clean clothes meant I was ready for the train journey home so Wowbagger and I hopped back on the tandem and rode to Darsham where seatpost, saddle and stoker swapping ensued as I jumped on the train home just as Mrs Wow's train was due to arrive so that they could head off on further adventures.

And Adrian, I really did save a cake for you this time. Have to try again on another ride....

knotbury

[QUOTE 645167"]
I, and a significant quanity of cake, made it to the beach. 15 cakes left York with me, and I managed to distrubute all bar 5 of them by the time I hit the sea although I think there was only one CCer who found me to get one :smile:

I have confirmed that attempting the dun run as your first century+ ride, first attempt at tandeming (if you discount 10 minutes round the block to see if I could reach the pedals a few weeks back) and first clipless ride is utterly insane, but rather good fun. It was distinctly warm, so I ended up stashing my t-shirt in the panniers at an early stop (when other were donning arm warmers and extra layers) and completing the entire ride wearing my vest!

A most pleasant swim the sea, followed by drying off and clean clothes meant I was ready for the train journey home so Wowbagger and I hopped back on the tandem and rode to Darsham where seatpost, saddle and stoker swapping ensued as I jumped on the train home just as Mrs Wow's train was due to arrive so that they could head off on further adventures.

And Adrian, I really did save a cake for you this time. Have to try again on another ride....
[/quote]

u9ge

What a great ride,

A fantastically friendly group of people. We made cracking progress to the feed station and joined a queue of 20 or so. After 30mins of food and relaxation we emerged from the halls to see a queue was out the car park and bodies everywhere. I lost my two mates in the dark near Gosling (sp?) but then cracked on as the light returned and collard myself a guy on a fixie with strong legs and a GPS.

A big thanks to all involved. I spent Sunday in a daze and finally collapsed into be at 9pm (snooze in the car plus a snooze in the afternoon).

I took the soft option and caught the train this morning.

bryce

I lost my two mates in the dark near Gosling (sp?)

Gosbeck. Thank * for mobile phones as otherwise we'd have ridden off even further than the 2ks or so that we managed before you called...

My polar download attached below - a lot of downhill, nice tailwind in parts and perfect temperatures... Great ride, insane though. Closed my eyes for a kip at 10am or so and kept seeing red flashing lights...

dynamov.jpg

Top Bottom