Dunwich Dynamo 30th June 2012 Roll call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm definitely thinking of doing the ride next year after seeing how much fun most folk were having. Didn't do it this year because we ended up helping out at the Helmingham food stop (the one with the yurt). Met Scilly Suffolk and I'm told Matt was there but didn't spot him as I was too busy serving up bacon butties. Just have to persuade Rezillo to do it next year and pray for similar weather as we had Saturday.

Observed an interesting, if not surprising, stratification of riders based on arrival time at Helmingham. Don't take this too seriously!
First ones through - no intention of stopping, it's a race, go through so fast can barely make them out.
Next lot - full race team or club kit, carbon in abundance, serious but know they need supplies.
First main bunch - mainly seriously fit folk, generally in race kit, jovial, need food, mainly carbon bikes, some high end alloy.
Second main bunch - more serious recreational cyclists, mainly light alloy bikes, the bags and attachments are getting bigger but they're good quality. Jovial but tired and need a rest.
Back end of the main bunch - knackered. Not sure where they are or why they're doing this, need a doze. Bikes getting rattier, stuff just about hanging on to the frame. Find it difficult to smile.
Tail end Charlies - when asked what they'd like either stare blankly or say some like "Nuhhfrobbmmmerrffflonkyeh". Patience required to get them to make sense, must resist temptation to tell them how much further they have to go. Bike either a heavy hybrid, mb with knobblies or something that I wouldn't ride to the end of my road. Often have full rucksack on back and all manner of stuff strapped to the bike. I can't decide how to feel about them, admiration or pity.

I love them all!

Gordon

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I'm definitely thinking of doing the ride next year after seeing how much fun most folk were having. Didn't do it this year because we ended up helping out at the Helmingham food stop (the one with the yurt). Met Scilly Suffolk and I'm told Matt was there but didn't spot him as I was too busy serving up bacon butties. Just have to persuade Rezillo to do it next year and pray for similar weather as we had Saturday.

Mat and I stopped there just after 2 as I think once we had devoured the bacon and sausage baps were on our way at 20 past. I said hello to John as my mate Simon Gooch knows him and I recognised him from last year. Were you on the cooking duties as if so you did a fine job as did all of the team.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sounds like I should get the vans back up and running for next year Tony as long as I do not have a date clash.
Bugger that there and back lark what about joining me on a proper ride? LEL 2013

If you do get the van back you had beter cycle a bit quicker this time otherwise we will be hanging around waiting for you Steve :tongue: Not convinced about doing a LEL yet, maybe something to think about for the future.

Mat and I stopped there just after 2 as I think once we had devoured the bacon and sausage baps were on our way at 20 past. I said hello to John as my mate Simon Gooch knows him and I recognised him from last year. Were you on the cooking duties as if so you did a fine job as did all of the team.

My wife Alison was cooking, I was serving up. Everyone worked their socks off, great night!

Gordon

Reactions: 4F

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Photo... <crosses fingers>

theswimmer.jpg

My selection of images from DD XX is here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-bunker/sets/72157630385033360/show/

mattobrien

Guru
I am starting to build a picture for post ride next year, with aid of leaving the truck, presuming I still have it;
A change of clothes, including a hoodie
A comfy chair to sit on, on the beach
Windbreak
Cooking stove in order to make bacon, sausage and egg sandwiches

Gordon, yes I did stop, but wasn't in a great place at that time. I was having my 'dark hour' and in no fit state to say hello to anyone.

That said, a cup of tea and hotdog did the world of good and perked me right up. That, combined with finding a group to ride with for the last 2 hours or so meant that Tony and I didn't have to stare at the blackness of the road ahead, all the other lights really lit everything up and made lie a little easier.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I am starting to build a picture for post ride next year, with aid of leaving the truck, presuming I still have it;
A change of clothes, including a hoodie
A comfy chair to sit on, on the beach
Windbreak
Cooking stove in order to make bacon, sausage and egg sandwiches...
Sounds perfect, but I'm still riding home: 250 is a man-sized number.

I left home at 6:00am and drove to Darsham Station whereupon I parked my car in the free (FREE!) car park and reassembled the trike, including the dog basket and dog.

We headed up the A12 for half a mile before intersecting with the DD route - which was pretty obvious as there was a continuous stream of cyclists.

The dog was whimpering a bit through excitement but otherwise enjoying the journey and lots of people said hello as they cycled past.

I arrived at the Café and saw Andrij and Pippa (from YACF) in the queue so waited outside for them. I did nip quickly down to the beach to get some photos though.

Pippa and Andrij came out after eating inside the café and we chatted for a bit and I handed out some shortbread and brownies before they decided to head up to Diss.

A minute or so after they left a friend Grace and her partner Andrew appeared. James (who works with Grace) had told me they were planning on coming and it was a real fluke I spotted them. Grace looked pretty tired and was very happy to eat some shortbread. I chatted to them for a while and then I observed the arrival of Team Steady from YACF.

After I took these photos and Kim dosed up on hayfever drugs we found Wowbagger (via a phone conversation) and eventually headed off to the beach.

Wowbagger had a swim whilst Poppy wandered around saying hello to passers-by and I handed out more brownies, shortbread and some of my vast store of Ritter Sport chocolate.

At about ten o'clock I decided to head off and see my folks on the way home. I was reunited with the trike (which I had left on its own unlocked with the sidepods still on it), put Poppy back in the basket and we headed out, along with three huge coaches. Poppy was pretty tired so was very quiet in the basket. We saw lots of people coming the other way still - a long night's riding for them.

At Darsham station there were a fair few bikes. It was very nice to be able to just chuck all my stuff in the car and head off to a cup of tea with my parents (the first tea of the day - and not until 11:45!!!)

What struck me was the vast number of people at the beach. And, more significantly, the enormous hassle of getting home for most of them!

Aunty helen
Nice to meet you and great snaps
i was the bloke with the kingcycle; we had a chat about 'barring mechanicals' while i was waiting for breakfast at the cafe on the beach
dont know if you saw tv coverage of the tour de france tonight [ monday] about 10 mins into coverage someone on a trike [ ice?] was on a dual carriageway parallel to the peloton cruising along but ultimately going slower, mentioned by the commentators as well.
biggest publicity for a trike i have seen

bob

Top Bottom