Dunwich Dynamo 30th June 2012 Roll call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think we would have been close to that if you discounted the first 8 miles out of London. And listen none of this "leaving my truck at Dunwich" nonsense. Tsk

mattobrien

Guru
Ah Tony, you see if I left my truck in the car park, I could see a BBQ on the beach once finished, a few creature comforts and feeling happy to give it full beans all the way to Dunwich, knowing you don't have to keep anything in the tank for the return journey.

Not suggesting there as anything left in the tank, the fuel light was definitely on.

Looking at the strata segments for the entire ride, we posted a very respectable time, which includes our breaks. Top 20 as it stands.

JDP

Andiamo
My new local Bike Shop Torque Bikes in Sudbury (you know the place loads of drunken clubbers and small hills in and out), will, with my help be running a pit stop on the way out of Sudbury at http://goo.gl/maps/38qJ

Apart from filling water bottles we will be selling spares, doing emergency repairs and we are just ascertaining what else to offer. We will definitely be offering smiles and encouragement and I will be attempting to get good photos and maybe video of the Dunwich Dynamo.

Tim, you can tell your LBS that there make superb flapjacks! I only stopped to get some water but had to sample them when they were offered and they were proper tasty.

thom

____
Nice one Jim, it was good to ride out with you again. Here's to the next one. Met another CCer in the cafe who joined us on the table for breakfast. I think he said his name was Timh one of the FNRTTC boys, nice to meet you Tim and I hope you enjoyed your ride to Cambridge.
Hi 4F, that was me and well the rest didn't quite go to plan, mainly because I was relying on garmin directions to Cambridge and the battery gave out... I got off track, veared towards Stowmarket and changed target to Bury St Edmonds but with more direction issues ended up on a dual carriageway and just decided to simplify the situation, to avoid the headwind and bail to Ipswich...
Nice to meet you - hope to see you on a FNRTTC one evening.

Reactions: 4F
Hi,

I made it, with a time much slower than yours. Got into Dunwich about 8.30 - which was still earlier than I expected, and left me with about 4 hours for the train I'd booked. Still, coffee and sleep in the garden of The Ship, a brief visit to Greyfriars ruin and a cappuccino in Darsham put me on the platform in good time for my train.

And this is when I was very happy to be on a folder. There were about 20 or 30 bikes on the station, but when the train pulled in (1 every two hours), the guard said: room for one bike. Apparently the train, sans guard van can only hold seven bikes, and they were at capacity, but one person was getting off. Anyway, I hopped on with my folder, and settled in, and left the others to duke it out. The rest were going to have to cycle to Ipswich, as most of them weren't getting to London any other way. And they'd probably have to buy a new ticket, as the pre-booked ones were for a specified train only.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Caught the train in Welsh Wales at 14.45 on Saturday. Met an old school mate outside the Pub in the Park (fairly lucky because he'd forgotten his mobile and we hadn't agreed on a meeting point). After a leisurely ride we rolled into Dunwich at about 9.00.

The period of darkness seemed much shorter this year and I kind of missed it. It felt a lot colder too - especially after 2 pints of beer. Bacon butties at the 'pop up' just after Framlingham were life savers. The queue for loading was long but moved well and we were told to get on the 12.00 coach. Time for a couple more pints in the Ship.

On the way back the A12 was blocked by an accident and the coach stationary for about an hour before being diverted off. Finally got to Bermondsey about 16.15 and found the bikes had already been unloaded. Grabbed mine, dashed to Euston and just caught the 17.05 to Chester. Back home 20.30. Slept for 10 and a half hours.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Caught the train in Welsh Wales at 14.45 on Saturday... ...caught the 17.05 to Chester. Back home 20.30. Slept for 10 and a half hours.
Massive effort! Chapeau!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
And no getting hammered the night before ? :thumbsup:
I nearly hurled on more than one occasion and had horrible hangover-sweats, not to mention being so tired I could have cried, so "no" I won't be getting hammered the night before in 2013.

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I nearly hurled on more than one occasion and had horrible hangover-sweats, not to mention being so tired I could have cried, so "no" I won't be getting hammered the night before in 2013.

Fancy cycling to Hackney to the start next year ? I am tempted :hyper:

stevevw

Guru
Sounds like I should get the vans back up and running for next year Tony as long as I do not have a date clash.
Bugger that there and back lark what about joining me on a proper ride? LEL 2013

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sounds like I should get the vans back up and running for next year Tony as long as I do not have a date clash.
Bugger that there and back lark what about joining me on a proper ride? LEL 2013
But surely you're doing Dunwich and back as a warm up for LEL (along with whatever FNRttC is the previous night)??

Top Bottom