Dunwich Dynamo (Sat 16th - SUn 17th July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Left my place at quarter to Six on Saturday evening. The weather forecast was cause for some optimism but I was soaked to the skin within 20 minutes, after a freak downpour (I had elected not to take a waterproof). Wondering if this perhaps wasn't the greatest idea I had ever had, I pressed on towards the City and the promise of nocturnal cycling adventure.

Met up with Patheticshark and themadcyclist close to the start, as agreed in the CC chat room. PS did the sensibe thing and did a runner within 5 minutes :laugh: bumped into 2 or 3 other CCers at the start (namely Rb58, Deckertim and 4F) but because the grass on London Fields was so wet, everybody was congragated in the street outside the pub. It was virtually impossible to move anywhere and although I eventually spotted Tynan, 4F and Will, I couldn't get to them, to say hi properly :sad:

Anyway, myself and TMC rolled out at 8:30 and the exit from London went fairly well. I had told myself that I wasn't going to overdo it in the first few miles, after making that mistake in 2009 and enduring 80 miles of pain thereafter. East end - done, Epping - done, onwards...

Stopped on 2 ocassions to deal with puncture style issues (neither of them mine) in the following section of the ride. The first encounter was with a lady who had a flat front tyre and was walking along the grass verge with bike. She couldn't get hold of her mates but kept trying and eventually did get through, just as we went our seperate ways. The second encounter was a few miles up the road with a charming Hipster-esque couple. Their decision not to bring a pump on a 112 mile night ride may have been questionable, as was Mister Hipster's decision to make a roll-up, as I battled to get Missus Hipster's very tight tyre off the rim! Eventually (after about 15 mins of struggle) the tyre came off and I fitted their spare tube. Mister Hipster seemed slightly taken aback as I handed him my pump and suggested he could crack on ;) So after 30 seconds of 'FAIL' on his part, I did the decent thing and pumped it up. Pump handed back, we waved our new friends goodbye and pressed on.

The Halfway stop was a welcome sight and I indulged in 2 cans of phony Redbull, sourced from the guys who had setup shop from the back of a van in the street (genius plan). It was nice to relax for half an hour or so and I found a playground, with a vacant swing, on which to sit, and tuck into my hand crafted chicken & bacon baguette, that had been lugged in my pannier.

I don't think the halfway stop did much for TMC's legs, as he complained of cramp in the calves, shorty after we got back underway. Combined with 'shorts problems' this made the following section of the ride a bit testing for him. We had discussed our stop strategy and decided we needed to have a rethink, as stopping every 30 minutes was doing nothing for our ETA to Dunwich and ruining my back! The decision was made... we push on and stop for 10 mins at 25 miles to go. Needless to say that 5 minutes after the decision I lost TMC to a little kicker of a hill but thought I would do the decent thing and keep going until the 25 miles-to-go point and wait there. After 10 mins of waiting and a brief phone call, it transpired that TMC was inline for a bacon roll at the farmhouse that was about 27 miles from Dunwich. We agreed I should continue and he would see me on the beach at Dun!

Off I went... About 15miles from Dunwich I found Patheticshark coming back the other way on her return leg to London! :bravo: The final 20 miles of the route were pretty draining, for me and I was very glad to see the car park and hundreds of weary looking cyclists, at 7:45am. Bumped into Stu and User10571 by the cafe and saw Her_Welshness again too. Took the hit provided my Cherry Coke from the shop and flaked out on the beach for an hour or so. This ride wasn't quite over yet.

The 27 miles from Dunwich to Diss were rode solo and into a continual and sometimes fairly fierce head/crosswind. My right ankle was hurting and the wet sand from Dunwich car park meant my cleats were gripped tightly into the pedals. As I found out when I tried to unclip going down a little lane... Eventually managed to unclip my left foot - just in time. Oh, by the way, these were new shoes and pedals :rolleyes: I kept telling myself that it was only 2 hours ride and it was some lovely scenary etc etc, it didn't wash and I was well and truly cream crackered by the time I arrived at Diss train station. Needless to say that I cycled from Liverpool St to Waterloo where I promptly got the train home, sacrifing a further 10 miles in the name of sanity.

Arrived home just after 3pm Sunday afternoon, with 155.2 miles on the Garmin (which is about 100 miles out of my comfort zone). Not exactly ridden at lightning pace but my legs are feeling a bit 'funny' today. Next year, I will tag onto the Dulwich Paragon Christmas lights speed train, that looked like fun!

SD

Tynan

Veteran
And Tynan...still no ride home? Next year? :whistle:

I was optimistic of giving it a good stab and felt ok leaving Dunwich with 4F but although my legs were reasonably ok, I had a lot of pain in lower back, round my torso and increasingly high on my thighs, the wind wasn't a sweetener and the promise of heavy rain later neither

So a miserable 150+ miles it'll have to be (including the ride to the start)

I think 'all' that let me down was that fabled core strength thingy, after a solitary and pained Cambridge and back with Halo's posse I suspect my core strength is only what I deserve to have from lots of 11 mile rides on the flat

yes, once again, next year, it was my most comfortable DD other than the quick one with will last year where I had done a fair few Fnrrtcs in preparation.

She couldn't get hold of her mates but kept trying and eventually did get through, just as we went our seperate ways. The second encounter was a few miles up the road with a charming Hipster-esque couple. Their decision not to bring a pump on a 112 mile night ride may have been questionable, as was Mister Hipster's decision to make a roll-up, as I battled to get Missus Hipster's very tight tyre off the rim! Eventually (after about 15 mins of struggle) the tyre came off and I fitted their spare tube. Mister Hipster seemed slightly taken aback as I handed him my pump and suggested he could crack on ;) So after 30 seconds of 'FAIL' on his part, I did the decent thing and pumped it up. Pump handed back, we waved our new friends goodbye and pressed on.

Off I went... About 15miles from Dunwich I found Patheticshark coming back the other way on her return leg to London! :bravo:

SD

you must be a saint, the hipster bloke would be dead in a ditch if I'd been in your position, words fail me that people could set of on a ride like that unable to sort a flat, fair dos if you're a lady and riding with someone competent

where exactly was the first lady pushing her bike to?

fixing two flats for other riders deserves a medal, I'd help if wanted but to actually do it for them while they watched? :angry:

pathetic shark is very modest, I saw her 'ride home' and thought it a local hop, if I ever managed it I'd be ever so discreetly and modestly telling the whole bloody world

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
where exactly was the first lady pushing her bike to?

fixing two flats for other riders deserves a medal, I'd help if wanted but to actually do it for them while they watched? :angry:

I didn't actually fix the first one... the lady claimed it was a tub and her friends knew all about fixing them, so I pumped it up, so she could at least get to the next village or pub and wait for them to come back for her. Seemed like a slow puncture and I couldn't find anything sticking in the tyre.

The reason for me getting 'hands-on' with the Hipsters was that the entire ride seemed to be passing us by and I wanted to get my pump back asap and get moving. They were nice enough folks, just not the best at practicalities, like fixing punctures. She was more willing to get stuck in than he was though...

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...

My personal highs and lows:

High: Battling the wind and rain from Framlington to Ipswich. Despite adverse conditions the plan was on schedule.

Low: A long, wet, cold, wait on Ipswich station.
High: Passing the Olympic Stadium and thinking 'Actually, that doesn't look too bad.'
High: Emerging in London always gives me a buzz.
High: Cycling in London was surprisingly pleasant. Exploring strange streets with strange names. Seeing the Gherkin from different angles. Meeting people that had time to give directions.
Low: Huddling under a tree in an intense cloudburst.
High: Meeting Mark and Hannah.
Low: Standing outside a pub and not having a drink.
High: Crossing the boundary into Essex.
High: A house with a moat!
High: Clearing skies, the setting sun and the huge, red moon.
High: Names like Theydon Bois, Great Dumow, Beauchamp Roding, Sible Hedingham and, best of all, Nedging-with-Naughton.

High: Seeing that there really is a place called "Braintree" but not having to ride through it.
High: Chasing flashing red lights and being followed by a thousand, flickering, fireflies.
High: The variety of bikes - old, new, steel, aluminium, carbon fibre, racers, toures, mountain bikes, hybrids, sit-up-and-beg bikes, Sturmey Archers, fixies, single-speeds, recumbents, tandems, a trike, and, most amazingly, a Boris Bike!
High: The chap with 2 dogs in his handlebar basket.
High: The endless variety of creative lighting on bikes, helmets, rucksacks and wheels.
High: The man with stars for wheels
High: The way my front light lit up every ripple in the road.
High: Having a friend who was prepared to queue 20 mins to get me a cup of tea.
High: The lunatic bell ringer who rang us through his village at 2.30am.
High: The people who watched and cheered as the silver snake threaded it's way down their dark streets.
High: The lovely Suffolk village signs.
High: The patience of most car drivers.
High: Riding under the moon through pale fields.
High: By 4am I'd been awake for 24 hours and still felt OK!
High: Watching the sky lighten as we rode towards it.
Low: The hills were starting to get to me.
High: Seeing the sun rise over the red earth fields.
High: Seeing the sea.
High: Arriving at Dunwich beach.
Low: Seeing the queue for the cafe
High: Realising that I wasn't hungry anyway!
High: Riding back to Framlingham feeling much better for half an hours sleep on a concrete wall.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
There certainly were a lot of punctures this year. There was a chap at the lit bus stop going out of Sudbury who already had had 4 (all front) and was busy repairing tubes.

Quite how anyone would attempt a ride like this without a pump as per SD's report is beyond me.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Whilst stopping for a sarnie, me and my mate lent a french chap a 6mm key to fix his loose saddle back on, then as we all moved off I noticed his back light wasn't working!
Whilst stopped another lad came up to use our lights to see to change his batteries. He asked if the batteries would last longer on flash setting, bless.

Anyone see the ol' boy on the racing tricycle? Saw him laying flat out having a kip on a side road!

Tynan

Veteran
old skool me, I'd be ashamed to have a lady fix my flat, even more than letting another bloke do it, even worse letting another bloke fix my bird's flat

it's not like changing a tube is rocket science is it, that's the trouble with inner London riders, there's always a bus/train station/bike shop to sort you out, but still ...

I think the bloke with the trike was dead, he looked it, me and the chap i was with both wondered about how he'd feel after sleeping on that concreted slope

I'm not awfully good at mechanicals but a loose saddle? and no multitool? only on a ride with people with no pumps or knowledge of how to fix a flat would people with loose saddles and no multitool pass muster

I think there should be an inspection next year of basic competence, those failing the test have to start after those passing it so they don't encumber the competent

perhaps pretty girls capable of 15mph can be set off early, to be pounced upon by competent gentlemen later, imagine the surge of men with tools and aptitude to detect and succor ladies scattered through East Anglia

I had to use a ziptie and multitool to secure the loose mount on the front light and felt very self sufficient, admittedly 4F held a handy light but I could have managed using my head torch

I had a magic link and (8 speed) chain splitter should me exhausted (10 speed) chain snap but I really hoped that wouldn;t be necessary at the side of the road in the dark and cold somewhere, I've joined/shortened a chain in the hall with a nice of tea twice but still

What a ride this was. I had set myself a goal of doing a 250 mile ride within 24 hours and this seemed a good chance. However, the weather forecast leading up to the event wasn't great and having heard about the FNRTTC the day before I was nervous to put it mildly. I met up with RB58 at Dartford and we cycled up to London Fields against a headwind, which was promising for the rest of the ride as it would be behind us. Then when we were in Lee the heavens opened and I had visions of a cold wet night. Fortunately this quickly blew over and by the time we went over London Bridge all we could see was blue sky. We arrived early, but already the streets were getting crowded.
5950275274_c0cbe7b8bf.jpg
I was staggered by the different bikes and riders. I saw one guy so loaded up with stuff, he could have going off camping for a week (maybe he was) But I didn't think it entirely necessary to take a 4 litre bottle of water on top of his already overflowing bike! There were also quite a few fashion icons with equally fashionable colourful fixies. Not sure how there cardigan and lightweight plimsolls would feel after dark in the middle of Suffolk.Joining up with iZap and friend, we left early to avoid the crowds as Ross had previously said how busy it had been at the various stops . But even so, there were several riders out on the route. Very impressed with this one, the dogs seemed happy as well.
5950276052_bed3b76685.jpg
The riding up through Epping and into Suffolk was great, the following wind is always flattering and my Garmin was behaving itself as we went through so many quiet and sleepy villages. We got to the refreshment stop at Sible Hedingham as they were opening and were able to leave our bikes by the front door! So no queues and hot soup, which were very welcome. By the time we were leaving it was getting very busy, so our timing was perfect.
5949719195_9f30ab0c6a.jpg
A lack of sleep the night before meant that by the time we got to Needham Market I was in a bad way and starting to nod off. I looked around the services on the A14, which was completely shut and in the end I found a quite spot in the shelter of a bin, where I was able to have a sit down snooze for 15 minutes. This was just what I needed to get me going again. The next refreshment stop at the house in the middle of nowhere was the next highlight. Coffee and a bacon roll and a nice chat with User10571 and I was ready for the final leg. The sunrise just outside a village called Bruisyard was brief and spectacular and spurred me on to get to the coast.
5949719479_14cd7d0afc.jpg

By the time I got to Dunwich, my fellow riders were ready to set off again. The Cafe was rammed with a queue out of the door, so I didn't think I would be missing much if I left. Obviously I did get the obligatory photo to prove I got there.

5949722251_6e6baf3704.jpg

I rode with Ross, iZap and friend for about 15 miles then my tiredness got the better of me again and after nearly falling asleep whilst riding a couple of times, I decided to have another nap. I found a lovely old fashioned bus shelter near Woodbridge and had about 20 mins shuteye. You may have noticed me if you went past. Refreshed I set off again on my own and very soon realised it was a lot harder without someone to shelter behind when cycling into a strong wind. I think the ride was scenic, but this was now about getting home! I had a luck break before Colchester when I stopped at a garage with a Coop shop to get lunch and avoided a very heavy shower, but as I got nearer to Chelmsford the heavens opened with a vengeance. There was no option but to get on with it. Like others before I now realise that sealskin socks aren't so great when torrents of water running down your leg get inside them! Luckily, I met up with RB58 and iZap in Chelmsford and I was able to ride with them to the Dartford Crossing. I had been riding for nearly 24 hours and although the 250 miles was in grasp I decided to call it a day and get the train home. This was my longest single ride ever, so quite pleased with myself, although a little disappointed I didn't push on for the extra 12.5 miles, but by then I was cold and wet and needed a longer sleep in a more comfortable place.

5949726755_e8f45cccf9.jpg

wanda2010

Guru
Would the female hipster have been wearing black tights and black shorts?

One of the things I love about the cycling community, especially on long rides, is that there are always people willing to stop and help.

Just before I missed the Sible food stop, a group of us were at a corner and a guy rolled up asking if anyone had a spare tyre as his mate had had way too many puntures and the tyre had 'retired'. Incredibly, someone had one! Hopefully this enabled the friend to continue but I was amazed that the spare tyre person and someone needing a tyre were in the same place at the same time :thumbsup:

I lent my pump to someone who had puncture probs and collected it at the beach cos I missed the food stop and my phone had no signal which I hadn't realised til I arrived on the beach. Turning the phone off then on didn't occur to me til I was on the SC coach en route to London :wacko:

I would agree that a p-kit would be the basic thing to carry and I now don't leave home without mine, but am heartened by the knowledge that someone else would have what I need if it came to it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
old skool me, I'd be ashamed to have a lady fix my flat, even more than letting another bloke do it, even worse letting another bloke fix my bird's flat

it's not like changing a tube is rocket science is it, that's the trouble with inner London riders, there's always a bus/train station/bike shop to sort you out, but still ...

I think the bloke with the trike was dead, he looked it, me and the chap i was with both wondered about how he'd feel after sleeping on that concreted slope

I'm not awfully good at mechanicals but a loose saddle? and no multitool? only on a ride with people with no pumps or knowledge of how to fix a flat would people with loose saddles and no multitool pass muster

I think there should be an inspection next year of basic competence, those failing the test have to start after those passing it so they don't encumber the competent

perhaps pretty girls capable of 15mph can be set off early, to be pounced upon by competent gentlemen later, imagine the surge of men with tools and aptitude to detect and succor ladies scattered through East Anglia

I had to use a ziptie and multitool to secure the loose mount on the front light and felt very self sufficient, admittedly 4F held a handy light but I could have managed using my head torch

I had a magic link and (8 speed) chain splitter should me exhausted (10 speed) chain snap but I really hoped that wouldn;t be necessary at the side of the road in the dark and cold somewhere, I've joined/shortened a chain in the hall with a nice of tea twice but still

:biggrin: brilliant Tynan, anything particular you'd like on your headstone? :whistle:

Top Bottom