Dunwich Dynamo (Sat 16th - SUn 17th July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it is a bit gobsmacking that folks would set off on this sort of thing without the ability to effect minor repairs...I'd probably be weighing up chucking a rack and pannier on so that I could carry enough tools and spares :blush:

Last time I did it, courtesy of the Flying Dodo troupe, it was just a longer night ride and no hardship at all... can't understand what all the fuss is about. Getting there at pace is a different matter. And well done SD - just keep on stopping to help - it's good for the soul. But don't complain if folk haven't any idea... it is often the case, and it is gentlemen like you who 'absorb and go' , that will stay long in their memory. :smile:

tmcd35

it is a bit gobsmacking that folks would set off on this sort of thing without the ability to effect minor repairs...I'd probably be weighing up chucking a rack and pannier on so that I could carry enough tools and spares :blush:

I learnt my lesson getting three flats on the IoW Randonnee a couple of years back. I now carry pump, puncture kit, spare tubs and multitool everywhere. Problem is I've done at least 2000 miles and even riding into a raised manhole cover (small one, for bt or something), as I did Saturday night, hasn't phased my Marathon Plus's. The tyres are bomb proof :biggrin: (needless to say I completed the DunRun without getting a puncture).

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I started writing a report but lost my way.

sooo

The Lows
Worrying about the gout in my ankle all night and the desperate need to keep hydrated.
Gethin ( No 1 son) having the first chute of the night on Lea valley road( He was fine and adrenalin meant he dropped me far behind after he got back on)
Forgetting to pack the GPS
the No of hills ( I don't do hills ok ?)
Gethin getting cold and tired just before rest stop and worrying me.
The last 20 miles which seemed endless
The really scary driving of the WAGS heading to the beach to pick up riders

Highs

Seeing the huge crowd at the pub.
Lusting after Aunty Helen's new machine
Laughing at the Geezer with the out of control dog was was arguing " Yaar in Laandaaan Naaww, this is my Maaannaaa, , you don't caaame and tell me whaaat taaa do in Laaandaan "
the huge buzz of the stream going along Lea Road.
The Tail wind.
The huge crowd or riders outside a pub, somewhere.
The stove cooking up hot noodles in 3 minutes at the rest stop
The manic bell ringer
The Bacon roll stop and a chance to stop and chat
Meeting and chatting with Leyton Condor, somehere, more than once.
The buzz

Would I do it again?

To be honest probably not, but only because of the logistics of getting to start, from finish but it's a brilliant event and thanks to all those that work so hard to make it happen.

Tynan

Veteran
I think I saw you en route LYB, certainly someone on a brommie of yellow hue, did it have some sort of yellow illumination, it seem to glow a bit?

Little yellow Brompton

I think I saw you en route LYB, certainly someone on a brommie of yellow hue, did it have some sort of yellow illumination, it seem to glow a bit?

Not me!

I was on the Ridgeback, for the second half I was wearing a flashing Scout Necker.

I got scalped more than once by various Brompton riders, I was a bit sanguine about one because it was a S bar with what looked like X ends , but one of the scalpers was riding a two speed! :-(

Alberto

It was also our first DD and we really had a fantastic time on Saturday. Of the very few known faces, we only met Will (and his heavily loaded army bike!)...We took it very easy and made it to the beach by 8:20 am, just in time for a swim and some sun.

Since no one has mentioned the experience on the coaches back to London, we did not know that they started loading bikes from 9:30 am ...meaning that if you got your bike loaded you had to get on the bus immediately. We ended up getting get on board shortly after that and were on our way by 11:10 am. Although we were slightly annoyed at this unexpected system, we happily arrived in rainy London by 2:15 pm after the bus got lost somewhere near the Olympic park. It really was impressive to see all those bikes being taken out of the lorries, and we were very glad that ours made it ok, with no scratches or anything. The southwark people did a very good job.

We were also quite surprised at people's lack of preparation, specially regarding lights! A good number of them rode without any lights at all, and were seen cycling solo in the middle of the night!

Best thing was the incredible amount of different bikes, people of all ages, empty roads, and good weather. We will definetely do next year's DD but probably cycle somewhere to get the train back, or even attempt a full ride back.

What a ride this was. I had set myself a goal of doing a 250 mile ride within 24 hours and this seemed a good chance. However, the weather forecast leading up to the event wasn't great and having heard about the FNRTTC the day before I was nervous to put it mildly. I met up with RB58 at Dartford and we cycled up to London Fields against a headwind, which was promising for the rest of the ride as it would be behind us. Then when we were in Lee the heavens opened and I had visions of a cold wet night. Fortunately this quickly blew over and by the time we went over London Bridge all we could see was blue sky. We arrived early, but already the streets were getting crowded.
5950275274_c0cbe7b8bf.jpg
I was staggered by the different bikes and riders. I saw one guy so loaded up with stuff, he could have going off camping for a week (maybe he was) But I didn't think it entirely necessary to take a 4 litre bottle of water on top of his already overflowing bike! There were also quite a few fashion icons with equally fashionable colourful fixies. Not sure how there cardigan and lightweight plimsolls would feel after dark in the middle of Suffolk.Joining up with iZap and friend, we left early to avoid the crowds as Ross had previously said how busy it had been at the various stops . But even so, there were several riders out on the route. Very impressed with this one, the dogs seemed happy as well.
5950276052_bed3b76685.jpg
The riding up through Epping and into Suffolk was great, the following wind is always flattering and my Garmin was behaving itself as we went through so many quiet and sleepy villages. We got to the refreshment stop at Sible Hedingham as they were opening and were able to leave our bikes by the front door! So no queues and hot soup, which were very welcome. By the time we were leaving it was getting very busy, so our timing was perfect.
5949719195_9f30ab0c6a.jpg
A lack of sleep the night before meant that by the time we got to Needham Market I was in a bad way and starting to nod off. I looked around the services on the A14, which was completely shut and in the end I found a quite spot in the shelter of a bin, where I was able to have a sit down snooze for 15 minutes. This was just what I needed to get me going again. The next refreshment stop at the house in the middle of nowhere was the next highlight. Coffee and a bacon roll and a nice chat with User10571 and I was ready for the final leg. The sunrise just outside a village called Bruisyard was brief and spectacular and spurred me on to get to the coast.
5949719479_14cd7d0afc.jpg

By the time I got to Dunwich, my fellow riders were ready to set off again. The Cafe was rammed with a queue out of the door, so I didn't think I would be missing much if I left. Obviously I did get the obligatory photo to prove I got there.

5949722251_6e6baf3704.jpg

I rode with Ross, iZap and friend for about 15 miles then my tiredness got the better of me again and after nearly falling asleep whilst riding a couple of times, I decided to have another nap. I found a lovely old fashioned bus shelter near Woodbridge and had about 20 mins shuteye. You may have noticed me if you went past. Refreshed I set off again on my own and very soon realised it was a lot harder without someone to shelter behind when cycling into a strong wind. I think the ride was scenic, but this was now about getting home! I had a luck break before Colchester when I stopped at a garage with a Coop shop to get lunch and avoided a very heavy shower, but as I got nearer to Chelmsford the heavens opened with a vengeance. There was no option but to get on with it. Like others before I now realise that sealskin socks aren't so great when torrents of water running down your leg get inside them! Luckily, I met up with RB58 and iZap in Chelmsford and I was able to ride with them to the Dartford Crossing. I had been riding for nearly 24 hours and although the 250 miles was in grasp I decided to call it a day and get the train home. This was my longest single ride ever, so quite pleased with myself, although a little disappointed I didn't push on for the extra 12.5 miles, but by then I was cold and wet and needed a longer sleep in a more comfortable place.

5949726755_e8f45cccf9.jpg

A few more pictures here http://www.flickr.co...57627098054319/

Little yellow Brompton

Who was out on the route taking photographs in the noisy white car? If anyone knows who it was can they let me know I need an "action " shot for a fundraising purposes for my Scout Group.

chrislov

Ride report DD19 with dogsx2

2 dogs, 120 miles and 1 night- all to raise £1200 (not there yet) to help fund the work of Maternity Worldwide especially in Ethiopia where their main base of operations are. To donate please go to www.justgiving.com/dunrun2011or text cris99 to 70070 to donate £10.

Some facts that might help you decide to donate, or just confirm the dogs have more sense than the owner:-

Total weight that went by pedal power to Dunwich: 154kg- made up of rider (82kg), (bike 21kg) Moppet (20kg) Peppa (8kg), front box (4kg), dogs stuff and dog food (4kg), Filibus spares and tools (8kg), my food and snacks (3kg), water (4kg)

Bike: Pretty standard Filibus Cargo bike, with seven speed Nexus Hub twined with a front triple (couldn’t afford a Rohloff but needed greater range)- 3,000 plus kms and still works well

Total time to get to Dunwich: 13hrs 10 minutes

Total time cycling: 10hrs 52minutes

Average speed to Dunwich: 16.75kms

Max speed to Dunwich: 55.10km

Dogs: Moppet (13yrs) & Peppa (a bouncy 13 weeks old puppy) both English Springer Spaniel

Best part of ride: watching the moon emerge from the torrential rain clouds and staying dry throughout

Worst part of ride: Missing out on the bacon butty, all sold out, 30km before Dunwich & Tigger, the spaniel who cycled DD18, still sulking 48hrs later for being left at home

PS: Maternity Worldwide is also organising their 5th Ethiopian charity ride, 2- 15 March 2012 from Addis to the hospital in Gimbie where their main projects are located see www.maternityworldwide.org for more details of their amazing work and how to join their ride.

Questions I get asked:-

q1: How do the dogs stay in the box?

a: From puppies they have always travelled by bike and they each have a dog car harness attached to the handlebar stem but so far only when another dog attacks the bike have any of them ever tried to jump out

q2: Don’t the dogs get bored?

a: They seem to love going for rides in their Filibus, getting especially excited when the cargo bike is wheeled out for trips to Hyde Park, charity rides and the odd long distance ride. They sleep a lot of the time but the dawn chorus, bats and roosters gets them reasonably excited

q3: Don’t they make the bike unstable?

a: Not really- the Filibus can take 50kg (or all three of my springer spaniels- well at least while Peppa is a puppy) in the front and 25kg on the rack at the back and the long wheel base makes it pretty stable

q4: Isn’t it slow up hills?

a: yes v slow, but having a triple on the front helps get the most out of the 7 speed Nexus hub and it really picks up speed going down hill

q5: Why take a the dogs on a bike?

a: It’s a lot of fun, lots of people speak to you, or more precisely speak to the dogs and then occasionally speak to me. It also helps get publicity and fundraising for charity.

Q6: And next year?

a: DD18 was with Tigger (we also cycled from London Berlin in May), DD19 was with Peppa and Moppet, so DD20- well anything is possible but it would mean having to adapt the back carrier to take one of the Springers and either saving up and buying a Rohloff or fitting an even smaller chain ring on the triple but I am not sure I could balance the bike and cycle much slower... but never say never

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 116

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Had a great ride even after 4 punctures! Hit a stone just after the half way stop which sliced through my tyre and caused various clever and desperate patching attempts for the next 60 miles. Now no longer smile at those poor souls standing by the roadside and consider myself a master of the rear wheel puncture repair on a Brompton. Thankfully kept my sanity as I had joined up with Rupert the designer from Brompton when my problems started. Can not praise the virtues of a full english with coffee and a pint as offered by the pub more!

PS Delzegg, don't worry new tyres fitted today. Fingers crossed for Paris

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Chrislov, welcome to CC. I have to say thank you for putting a smile on my face even when you said that we still had 40 miles to go. Just like last year you seemed always to be in front of us!

Top Bottom