Dura-Ace Road Bar End Shifter and MTB Derailleur Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just picked up a bargain Surly LHT frame on ebay, currently drawing up a table of components for my DIY build but have been struggling with the gearing/shifters. I've only ever experienced drop bars with STI levers, and now want to give bar ends a go.

I want to put on a triple crankset, and use 10 speed dura-ace bar end shifters, but I understand these are road specific. In order to build a 10 speed drivetrain and have the range of gears required on a touring bike, I'll need to use a long cage MTB rear derailleur. I understand that MTB RDs are not compatible with the bar end shifters because the pull ratio is different.

So how do I go about getting a long cage MTB RD to work with 10 speed MTB cassette and road bar end shifters? I can see Surly managed to get their shifter to work with a 9 speed MTB RD and cassette. What am I missing?

I'm not particularly set on 10spd, I'd happily use 9spd, but I just don't understand how Surly have managed to make the MTB and road shifters work together? :banghead:

Road RDs don't come with the large cage size to take a MTB cassettes as far as I know?

From 10-speed on, Shimano's road and MTB derailers are no longer compatible. 9 and down works just fine.

It is easy to see which MTB derailers are not compatible since they have Dynasys written on them.

Do you have a reference for the Surley combination? Yo sure it is 10 speed?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@Yellow Saddle thanks, the surly combination is a 10 speed, based on the cassette they claim is part of stock build. Link in OP.

@boydj I didn't know you could get friction systems, that means I can put 10 speed on, great! They are cheaper too which is a bonus!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure if the 10 speed Shimano Dura-ace are the same as my 8/9 speed Dura-ace ones but on those indexing is 'switchable' to friction. The 9 speed Dura-ace ones were cheap because for some reason known only to Shimano the spacing of the cassette is unique to that range although they do shift OK'ish on standard 8 speed. I'll see if I can locate which series they are.

Top Bottom