During the war

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would anyone who wasn't called up volunteer for the auxullary units?

During the 1980s at the height of the cold war many NATO countries created secret "auxilliary units" of stay behind raiders, mainly full time or reserve special forces units or intel units. I think I was sniffed out by one such person as part of his personal network of civillian agents. Apparently SF didnt much care for civillian networks but intel types did. As SAS urban recon units in Kuwait discovered, they really needed civillians to fetch, carry, resupply and assist in occupied zones.
I never did confirm if I was considered an official, unofficial or denyable asset. Whichever, I was probably considered expendable. Fortunately Ronnie, Maggie and Gorby made up and became bestest friends.

lane

Veteran
True fact - in the early 80s my dad bought a house which came complete with some sort of siren that was supposed to be sounded in an emergency such as nuclear attack. Because he bought the house he was expected to take responsibility for
the siren. After a number of years some official type people turned up to decommission it.

Cerdic

I'm too old.

A couple of replies a few pages back suggested that our current armed forces would be incapable of stopping the Germans. As it happens, the German armed forces are even worse! On paper they have a few more tanks and stuff than we do, but most of them are mothballed due to lack of parts.

Home guard I think for me.

lane

Veteran
Home guard would be OK. Turn up at the church hall one evening a week, get out of the house, have a chat, maybe pop to the pub on the way home. Would be a welcome distraction at the moment.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'm too old.

A couple of replies a few pages back suggested that our current armed forces would be incapable of stopping the Germans. As it happens, the German armed forces are even worse! On paper they have a few more tanks and stuff than we do, but most of them are mothballed due to lack of parts.
The woman who gutted the Heer and destroyed morale got promoted to head the EU Commission.

lane

Veteran
Germans spend a lot less than the UK on armed forces as a % of GDP. Probably a lot less overall.

Top Bottom