Dust Cap for hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello good people,
My son have had a minor accident at low speed on his Triban road bike. After the accident the low cost no-name hubs seized and wheels just froze. I have opened the hubs removed the ball bearings and the dust caps given it a good clean, regreased everything and put everything back on. Wheels are working fine now. However, the dust caps were very thin as if they are made out of cola cans!. During the removal they are deformed a little bit. I have checked decathlon web site but could not see anything like that. I have had a chat with my LBS guys they say they don't have it even with a new axle. Does anybody know where to find new dust caps for my next cleaning and greasing operation? Thank you.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There is no standard design. It is often best to clean out the races with a pipe cleaner or similar rather than remove the caps. Old Campag ones, in particular, can be hard to remove without damage.

Maybe you can find a s/h pair of hubs and cannibalise them? Or try to straighten the cap. As long as it doesn't contact the axle or bearings, it's ok.

There is no standard design. It is often best to clean out the races with a pipe cleaner or similar rather than remove the caps. Old Campag ones, in particular, can be hard to remove without damage.

Maybe you can find a s/h pair of hubs and cannibalise them? Or try to straighten the cap. As long as it doesn't contact the axle or bearings, it's ok.
Thanks for your reply, am I right in assuming that ball bearins are squeezed between the hub cup and the cone on the axel so caps are only holding the grease in and dirt out? Therefore caps don't normally have any contact point with ball bearings?

Top Bottom