Dutch/Belgian Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nylontoestraps

Hi there, new to the forum so apologies if I make any faux pas !

Planning a ride from Brussels to Amsterdam for my 30th in May, Covid-19 permitting of course. Have spent a while looking for a good route planner and solid information about the long distance cycle network, however I'm not entirely sure this information is up to so looking for some first hand experience.

The idea for the journey at the moment would be Brussels > Antwerp > Rotterdam > Amsterdam, stopping overnight in each city. I've been looking at the LF2 but am not sure if this is still signposted as there was a supposed overhaul, and whether this is mostly pleasant to cycle ? Any route recommendations/alterations would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear from some of you, thanks for reading :smile:

NylonToeStraps

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The idea for the journey at the moment would be Brussels > Antwerp > Rotterdam > Amsterdam, stopping overnight in each city. I've been looking at the LF2 but am not sure if this is still signposted as there was a supposed overhaul, and whether this is mostly pleasant to cycle ? Any route recommendations/alterations would be greatly appreciated.
It was signposted when I last saw a bit of it (last July) but take a map or sat nav anyway because cycle route signs are really very easy to damage or vandalise and I doubt checking and replacing them has been top priority during the pandemic. Remember that one direction will be LF2a and the other will be LF2b - those are the same route, but opposite directions, not forks.

My experience of the LF routes (parts of 1, 2, 6, K and M) is that they are pretty pleasant and all good standard but not very direct, rather like the UK NCN would be if the shoot show sections are replaced. Some of the detours make sense (Leuven is worth a visit), going to look at something pretty, but I feel some of them are mainly to avoid riding alongside motorways and railways any more than absolutely necessary.

If https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=2816&map=8.522432744049832!51.5965!4.6145 is accurate, then you do actually have two forks to choose between after Kinderdijk UNESCO park but it sounds like you're set on the west one through Rotterdam (which I would choose, too, as I like a good market hall and bridge). It also suggests riding it in 7 days. From the lengths, you could ride it in 4, but with long days and/or not as long visit stops: I wouldn't want to do it in 3 because Leuven, Mechelen, Dordrecht and Kinderdijk are all worth some time in addition to the cities you mentioned.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much ! All very useful bits of information, glad to hear it's mostly pleasant and will certainly take a look at the places mentioned and potentially add to the itinerary :smile:

Hi & welcome!
That area used to be my old stomping ground. You can't really go wrong^_^

A few thoughts..
First of all https://cycle.travel/map is my go to planner. You'll see the main cycle routes marked on the map.

Don't know about any overhaul, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't signposted.
On signage, there can be (rare) issues with missing or hidden signs - mostly a Belgian issue in my experience - they're a little more chaotic^_^. I once found a bike sign behind a big sign advertising a building contractor^_^
If you're not a gps person, a list of towns on or close to your route will help, and in urban areas head for the train station - they'll have bike signposts.
After crossing a junction there should be a sign for people coming from the opposite direction - confirmation no-one has changed the sign!

I've only cycled past Brussels, but Antwerp is fine, but signs can be tricky to see, especially in the dark or wet.
There's an interesting tunnel under the river that uses big lifts so is usable even on a loaded bike. Not much of interest on the other side, except possibly the best chips in the land of good chips!^_^

Rotterdam is straightforward from any direction, but Amsterdam is a lot busier. Try to avoid rush hours if you're fully loaded. Or even hop on a train for the last bit (bikes not allowed at rush hours).

On the leg to Rotterdam..
Personally, I'd prefer to take the coast. Bergen op Zoom is far nicer in my opinion than Rosendaal. Dordrecht is nice, but frankly the run to Rotterdam is kinda boring and dull, although you can take a water bus (bike and all) right into Rotterdam city centre).
Middelburg is a lovely old town, nice cycling along the coast (but can be windy!) and in along the Maas estuary to Rotterdam. Brielle is the highlight along there!

In any case, it's a great place for a bike trip!

Enjoy!

Bergen Op Zoom

Rotterdam

On the waterbus from Dordrecht to Rotterdam. Yep! That's a full size replica of Noah's ark!^_^

Somewhere along the coast, south of Rotterdam

Brielle 😍

bitsandbobs

Über Member
For the Rdam Adam leg, the LF2 stedenroute takes you out of Rdam along the Rotte and then over the groene hart to Adam.

An alternative route is to follow the schie out of Delfshaven to Delft and then onto Leiden. From Leiden you can pick up the Ringvaart which will take you into Adam via the Amsterdamse Bos.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Vrienden op de Fiets is fabulous: a well organised group that takes cyclists into their house for cheap B&B and it's a fantastic way to meet real Dutch people living in their own homes. They are universally wonderful. I've used them very many times and have my favourites. Take a look at the website. You might find many are now not taking guests but if they're taking people, I'd suggest you go.
And there is a series of maps with cycle routes for the whole of the Netherlands, can't recall what it's called.

Top Bottom