Dutch bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
My 3 speed Batavus was ideal for South/Central Birmingham. I only sold it because I was moving to accomodation without a garage and I didn't have space for two bikes. When I started riding my old Raleigh again I noticed how much more maneuverable it was and how much easier it was to get uphill, even though it was higher geared. I still miss the Batavus though.

Dutch omafiets granny bikes are very old fashioned. Outside of Amsterdam most Dutch riders are on modern aluminium utility bikes with 5-8speed hub gears, dynohub lighting and full rack, mudguard and chainguard protection, usually shod with Marathon + tyres. They are very practical for all weather urban riding at easy speeds.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I have just been riding one of them for about 15 kms and I am not impressed. The saddle is awful and the riding position much too upright. I have no wish to ride another one and much prefer my Cube or Specialized road bikes. I feel that many of you will disagree and say that they are easy bikes to ride, made for town people. That may be so but definitely not for me.
Just stick to the 'back in half' road bike pal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4906932, member: 43827"]At our community bike workshop we often renovate old Dutch bikes and I always enjoy the test rides around Bute Park. Very relaxed and genteel rides but I wouldn't like to climb too many steep or long hills on them.

Are men or women who make potentially unsuitable choices of bikes victims?[/QUOTE]
No. There's nothing to suggest correlation between bike type and casualty rate... unlike that between motor vehicle class and casualty rate, where HGVs are disproportionately harmful to cyclists.

Long hills are fine BTW, as the greater efficiency of hub gears over shoot-covered derailleurs helps. Boris versus Ventoux etc. Steep isn't so good, but there's always the 24" gear for most riders.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had one for commuting, but switched to a drop-bar 26" mountain bike I converted from a MTB, as it was lighter and handled better, especially on my rather hilly commute. But I can see where such a bicycle would be eminently suited to city riding and errands.Still might be time to update the design with lighter materials and more adaptability, maybe some sort of electric assist may be nice as well, for the getaway from intersections.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I had one for commuting, but switched to a drop-bar 26" mountain bike I converted from a MTB, as it was lighter and handled better, especially on my rather hilly commute. But I can see where such a bicycle would be eminently suited to city riding and errands.Still might be time to update the design with lighter materials and more adaptability, maybe some sort of electric assist may be nice as well, for the getaway from intersections.
Many, many people ride electrically assisted bikes in the Netherlands, mostly "Dutch"-style designs.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I would very much like a good quality Dutch style bike.
I may have one up for sale on 'ere soonish. Need to thin out my hareem to make room for some custom steel booty
A Gazelle Furore with the works: hub brakes; dynamo lights; enclosed rear wheel and chain; adjustable fork and seat post suspension.
Great piece of kit for shopping and jobbing about, and such a comfy ride. Don't be in a rush to get anywhere and all is well. I've toured on it, but once only and never again. Came home with twice-the-size thighs
I didn't want to post here because I too don't like these negative threads where we are going to get into pointless, circular chats about not much.
On it today, passed by all the sweaty roadies, none of whom could haul back more than a ready meal let alone two weeks' shopping while watching the rabbits gambol, all the while sporting flip-flops and a loose kaftan....

tyred

Legendary Member
I've ridden many happy, if not very speedy miles on a '60s singlespeed Batavus I acquired a few years ago. I'd say it rides very well, even in rural hills and I can climb most things on a 60' gear. It's not a racing bike but was never supposed to be. I've done half-centuries on it loved it.

MarkF

Guru
I quite like them, for unhilly rides. They are sedate and chariot-like. I have just de-acquired this one:

View attachment 366067

and acquired this one:

View attachment 366068

They are coolio, I wouldn't care what they rode like when they look so good.:okay:

When I leave West Yorks I'll get one, my pal has 3 gear VanMoof as his only transport, daft as he lives in Ilkley, it looks good though.:smile:

standard_straight_white_1.png

Top Bottom