Dutch bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I hired a gazelle in York last time we were there and loved it, but the slightest of incline had my thighs burning! I'd hate one for my daily commute.
My folding bike is very upright in the Dutch style and I quite like riding that - on the flat - but my daughter rides it everywhere and loves it, but she's quite a bit younger and fitter than I!

snorri

Legendary Member
my pal has 3 gear VanMoof as his only transport, daft as he lives in Ilkley, it looks good though.:smile:
Every time I see a pic of these bikes I can't help thinking Rocket Launcher, fore and aft^_^.

I wonder if too many women riders in London are making that mistake and paying a heavy price.
I doubt it. Most of London is flat. Really flat. So your 20 minute commute becomes at 23 minute commute. But then you aren't sweaty when you get there, because you didn't push it. The mudguards and chain guards mean you could ride in your work kit. The hub gears mean it won't need a service in years. Plus she bought it because she loved, and she's riding it because she loves it.

Sure, a bad choice if you live or work at the top of London's half dozen hills, but most people don't. I had a 28 km commute in London with only 50 metres of climbing. A dutch bike would have been great, and so was my sit-up-and-beg folder.

To be fair,.I had never ridden one before so wanted to try it. Now I know so never again.
Yup. They are not for you. :okay:

[QUOTE 4909364, member: 259"]You'd call anyone on a forum "tu". I've never come across one that was so formal as to need "vous"[/QUOTE]
yeah, i think I get that.

I just got two different translations of the sentence.

Edit: Doh! he said "vous". Yeah, finally got it.

dfthe1

[QUOTE 4909364, member: 259"]You'd call anyone on a forum "tu". I've never come across one that was so formal as to need "vous"[/QUOTE]

I've never actually used French on a forum before so I don't know the etiquette. I was always taught to use 'vous' the first time I spoke to someone new, and then the 'tu' kind of comes naturally (I don't think anyone has ever actually said 'Ici on se tutoie' to me).

(For the avoidance of doubt, @gavroche , my langue was firmly in my joue! :-) )

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4908977, member: 45"]Dutch bikes require a different riding attitude. Once you acquire that, they're a fantastic way to get around. I'd like to add one to my shed.[/QUOTE]
Not sure it's really an attitude as much as an awareness: you have to spin the crank pretty fast before changing up and if you've mainly only got a coaster brake with possibly a nearly-cosmetic minimal-rule-meeting front brake (as many Dutch bikes seem to) then you really need to coast up to and be cautious about junctions. I think Dutch bikes also used to be relatively long for their frame heights and wheel sizes, but the general trend towards 700c wheels (slightly larger than many old 650a Dutch bikes, but slightly smaller than old road bikes) has reduced that difference.

I hired a gazelle in York last time we were there and loved it, but the slightest of incline had my thighs burning! I'd hate one for my daily commute.
I wonder what the gearing was? Sadly, there's still a tendency to supply Dutch bikes with eye-popping superman gears with the high gear nearly matching 1960s/1970s drug-fuelled road-bike gears, which leaves a three-speed with the most efficient middle-gear for flat riding, but a top-gear that's useless except for tailwinds and downhills and no gear for more than a very slight uphill. Almost the first act IMO should be to replace the rear sprocket with something larger and fit a longer chain :sad:

One of the things that Boris Bikes get right is to set the gearing so that a reasonably-fit rider can honk the bottom gear up the few cobbled climbs in central London even on such a heavy bike. Another is the study sideless front carrier that I wish was available seperately.

Top Bottom