Dutch bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just been riding one of them for about 15 kms and I am not impressed. The saddle is awful and the riding position much too upright. I have no wish to ride another one and much prefer my Cube or Specialized road bikes. I feel that many of you will disagree and say that they are easy bikes to ride, made for town people. That may be so but definitely not for me.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Were you riding it in the NL?

ChrisEyles

Guru
I used one for a few months when I was living in Amsterdam and loved it! Very different from a nice road bike, and you obviously won't get anywhere as quickly, but they've got buckets of character and a very stately ride. In fact I liked the one I borrow so much I did up an old 1950s single speed Raleigh Sports to satisfy my hankering for a sit-up-and-beg bike.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
If you ride it hell for leather then they won't compare favourably. In fact the first time you were on a road bike it probably felt twitchy with funny positioned. You need to get used to a bike and how it needs to be ridden.

I used to ride a 1920s police bike. Heavy as hell but absolutely bomb proof, and once you get it going it has enough momentum to glide over lumps and bumps. It was certainly much more pleasant gliding along on that then on the road bike, although of course a road bike will be quicker.

Jayaly

Definitely horses for courses. I love my dutch bike and can't stand my son's road bike. He is of the opposite opinion.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've ridden a (Dutch) road bike and an English tandem over Dutch roads and paths. The tandem, being steel and quite upright was quite a lot like most Dutch bikes. And it was a lot more comfortable - it cruised over all but the nastiest pavé and potholes. I suspect Dutch bikes are optimised for Dutch riding.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I had a Scottish made Dutch style single speed, loved it.
Enclosed chain, drum brakes, never needed cleaning, ideal for commuting in the rain.
Bombproof, crashed it twice, not a scratch on her.
Ideal for flat commutes like mine: the Big Apple tyres were puncture free for 3 winters.
Had to retire it :sad:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've tried a 3 speed Batavus, and I quite liked it. It was heavy and wasn't remotely swift or agile enough for outer London traffic, but then it wasn't built for that. I can appreciate how it's a different machine when you're on a separated cycling path in not much of a rush. Very comfy.
If you've not ridden a Dutch bike, a Boris bike / Paris Velib is a decent enough simulator.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not really. Boris bikes are low geared, heavy, small wheeled with dead tyres and handlebars like a beach cruiser crossed with a Dutch bike!

I love my Dutchie. I've ridden centuries on it, upgraded it a bit and if it dies, I'll probably get another very quickly. It's nimble enough for traffic (although it does swoop rather than turn tightly) and accelerates to over 20mph readily enough when I'm able (which sadly isn't always any more). It's no road bike but it is comfortable and easy.

If you didn't enjoy its stately elegance and easy riding, the bike must have been the wrong size, misconfigured and/or trashed. Or you're dead from the neck up ;)

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I had a Scottish made Dutch style single speed, loved it.
Enclosed chain, drum brakes, never needed cleaning, ideal for commuting in the rain.
Bombproof, crashed it twice, not a scratch on her.
Ideal for flat commutes like mine: the Big Apple tyres were puncture free for 3 winters.
Had to retire it :sad:
A Paper Bike by any chance?

Top Bottom