Dynamo Front Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
So after I have chosen a dynamo, which front light is the best one to go for.

Also has anyone charged a phone/GPS/battery pack from any of the lights with USB charging?

chriscross1966

Über Member
The BuM Luxos U is pretty impressive in terms of light output, and the usb output is effective, in the day I can run my phone as a GPS navigator and get to destination with more charge than when I started.. downsides are they aren't all that robust, I've cracked the casing and it's bound up with self amalgamating tape as a result, others have cracked the mounting holes... the tech is good, but I'll probably replace it with a SON when it dies.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've bought three Axa Pico 30s. They were good for their time but things have moved on. I'd buy Axa again, though. The only one we've killed went in a crash when its mounting snapped.

I've a USB charging thingy to wire in but I've not done it yet. I'd only charge a battery pack from it because I bet the supply is variable enough to upset more sensitive devices.

John_S

Über Member
Hi Toffee,

I got my first dynamo set up a couple of years ago and I went for a B&M IQ-X headlight which I pair with a B&M rear light all running off a Shimano dynamo hub. Having made the switch to a dynamo lighting I am so happy that I made the change and I'd recommend it to anyone who commutes all year around as well as in many other circumstances as well. If you can't get a dynamo light from your LBS then both SJS and Spa Cycles have quite a few options to choose from as well as the German shops such as Rose (just as an example https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-iq-x-led-headlight/aid:837404 ).

In terms of charging I've not gone down that road yet and so apologies but I've got no experience of the lights which also offer a charging function.

If you were doing touring as well and wanted to take things very seriously plus had enough cash then there is this solution, the Igaro D1 :-

http://road.cc/content/review/234237-igaro-d1-mod-5-d105-usb-power-converter-bicycle-dynamo-hubs

However for everyday commuting etc and just wanting to get a small charging boost I appreciate that there are other solutions.

Good luck finding the right lights and charging set up for your bike.

John

si_c

Guru
I went with a SP PD-8 dynamo and paired it with a SuperNova E3 Triple 2 main light. Great for on and off-road riding, keeping the road well illuminated.

It doesn't come with a USB charging port, but I've been looking at the Igaro D1 as mentioned above as an option, but as @mjr said I'd charge a powerbank and devices from that. The power output from the dynamo is likely to be insufficient to run full beam lights and charge at the same time, you'll end up with neither working satisfactorily, so better to use one or the other.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have the B&M headlight with USB doobree on my tourer. Magic stuff.

On another set up I have a SON set up which I can piggy back an Igaro D1 which I don’t have yet. I love the SON light and the hub, but I think it is let down by the connectors on the hub. The ‘Lego’ block on the B&M is a much better fitting. Until I can afford a D1, I use a portable battery to recharge devices.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have the Supernova E3pro2 front light, coupled with their E3 tail light fitted to my trike. Very spendy, but staggeringly powerful units. Power comers from the SON dynamo.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Another Supernova E3 user here & it gets my vote. I used to run with a B& M headlight, but on the unlit country roads round here the Supernova is far better/brighter :okay:

Top Bottom