E-bike on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A friend has asked me if this sort of caper might work, and I'm really not sure having neither an e-bike nor a turbo, having rapidly got bored of the latter.

She is after ease of use, particularly when heading back on the road, so have recommended spare wheel and the associated gubbins for switching in and out, but I assume there must be stuff related to the battery?

The bike in question is a Pendleton Somerby. And I've recommended the cheapest Tacx turbo that Decathlon offer, but beyond that I'm guessing a bit so any help would be appreciated.

dodgy

Sounds like an almost pointless undertaking.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Sounds like an almost pointless undertaking.

In a way it is, but in others it isn't (an arthritic knee, not always the time to go out etc). Have discussed this with her and am really just wondering if it's doable.

Thinking a bit more I suppose you wouldn't really need to bother hooking up the electric bit, which would make it less of a faff?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Pendleton Somerby has a rear hub motor.

It can be pedalled as an ordinary bike with the motor off.

I'm not familiar with turbos, but you could remove the rear wheel of the Somerby and fit a wheel that would suit the turbo.

However, practically that may not be easy because ebikes are heavy lumps and take some (wo)manhandling.

Can turbos take complete bikes?

The Somerby is a standard bicycle shape, although the rear motor means it has a nutted rear axle, like most hub gear bikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
The Pendleton Somerby has a rear hub motor.

It can be pedalled as an ordinary bike with the motor off.

I'm not familiar with turbos, but you could remove the rear wheel of the Somerby and fit a wheel that would suit the turbo.

However, practically that many not be easy because ebikes are heavy lumps and take some (wo)manhandling.

Can turbos take complete bikes?

The Somerby is a standard bicycle shape, although the rear motor means it has a nutted rear axle, like most hub gear bikes.

That's my thinking. Problem I think will be ease of swapping wheels. Don't think it's gonna be feasible.

Top Bottom