E Bikes-abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'd love a e-car but its not going to happen as there's no infrastructure..
Depending on what you are trying to do I'm not sure that is true, I see no issue commuting a reasonable distance, but a long journey is likely to be out if there is a specific time frame. The reason I haven't jumped is price, I have a small Volvo diesel 8 years old only done 37K, cost £4000 if I wanted an electric car I'd have to find another £20k+ I do not have that kind of money & if I did I would have better things to spend it on than a car.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, I'll try and put it off as long as possible! I'm always amazed by the riders that look younger and fitter than me using them, but I suppose they could have hidden health problems.............other than lazyness. Lol.

Many people still seem to think an ebike is a two wheeled invalid carriage, for an old person, or for a feckless individual who is too idle to pedal.

There are such ebike riders, but the majority are ordinary folk like you who simply like getting around on two wheels.

Several posters on here have said they will get an ebike when they are 'old enough'.

This betrays ignorance, ebikes are heavy lumps, an elderly person might struggle to manhandle and balance one.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I haven't seen much anti ebike sentiment on CC at all, overall it seems a great many are supportive of them even if they aren't currently, or likely to be, users themselves.
You seem to be misinterpreting disagreement on the other topic of raising the cut off speed as somehow being against ebikes in general. It's not.

It seems to me e-bikes are going to appeal to a different demographic, there may be some overlap but on forums like this, there's probably always going to be some resistance to the idea of using one because we're looking at things in a different way.

If they get more cars off the road, get people out exercising in some form, that's a good thing. I already have friends who've purchased e-bikes as well as their own 'normal' bikes. I see more people on them and their usage seems to vary, from older folk using them to keep active, to people commuting on them and people who seem to be using them as utility transport. I've seen people towing trailers with them and people just riding, they seem like a genuinely good idea to me and the design has come on in leaps and bounds. The shop by me used to sell basic sit up and beg Giants, now they're selling sophisticated looking mtn bikes with Bosch motors.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Many people still seem to think an ebike is a two wheeled invalid carriage, for an old person, or for a feckless individual who is too idle to pedal.

There are such ebike riders, but the majority are ordinary folk like you who simply like getting around on two wheels.

Several posters on here have said they will get an ebike when they are 'old enough'.

This betrays ignorance, ebikes are heavy lumps, an elderly person might struggle to manhandle and balance one.
I don't think it betrays ignorance, people on here and elsewhere are aware of the difficulties of handling a bike that weighs rather more than a regular cycle. Who do you class as elderly? I'm nearly seventy and I'm sure I could manage one. If posters are saying they will get one when ' old enough' I assume that to mean they derive pleasure from riding a regular bike and will only transfer to an e-bike until such time as they are forced to to stay on two wheels.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't think it betrays ignorance, people on here and elsewhere are aware of the difficulties of handling a bike that weighs rather more than a regular cycle. Who do you class as elderly? I'm nearly seventy and I'm sure I could manage one. If posters are saying they will get one when ' old enough' I assume that to mean they derive pleasure from riding a regular bike and will only transfer to an e-bike until such time as they are forced to to stay on two wheels.

Many commenting on these threads have never ridden an ebike or done so only briefly.

There is widespread ignorance of the capabilities of ebikes and the practicalities of living with one.

I am only aware of these matters because I have done about 3,000 ebike miles a year for the last eight years.

people need to stop this fascination that they are only ridden by idiots and unexperienced riders.

when you say people need to stop....are you referring to posters on cyclechat or people you meet generally

I have not seen a single post where anyone has said ebikes are ONLY ridden by idiots and unexperienced riders, I have seen posts in the other thread (you know the one) where someone says it would be a bad idea for an unexperienced rider/idiot to have that speed on tap without learning bike handling skills first. theres a big difference between the two statements.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
when you say people need to stop....are you referring to posters on cyclechat or people you meet generally

I have not seen a single post where anyone has said ebikes are ONLY ridden by idiots and unexperienced riders, I have seen posts in the other thread (you know the one) where someone says it would be a bad idea for an unexperienced rider/idiot to have that speed on tap without learning bike handling skills first. theres a big difference between the two statements.
Both.....especially on the other thread and in life as a general take on it.

And dont get me started on bike handling skills........

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive just placed my order for 750W(peak power) centre drive with 52V battery. It will be fully customisable in setting max current or power and top speed. I will give a max assist speed 19mph. The benefit custom firmware is tailoring battery performance over longer rides. Im not interested in max-ing power output and speed

gbb

Legendary Member
As an increasing user of my ebike (reluctantly i concede i have to, arthritis is getting the better of me and a ride on my roadie the other week left my hips in ...not agony, but in real pain, for 2 days). But think about this.....
I was out on my ebike last weekend and just minding my own business and a lady on a roadbike passed me on the flat. No biggie, she's doing well, i carried on at my pace, she rode onward.
Then we came to a hill. I passed her with ease as she neared the top, red faced and puffing as you would when you're working hard, respect due.
I felt bad as i eased past :sad:, genuinely, because i remember how i prided my fitness, how the slightly competetive element in me would push myself in some unseen, unwitting combat with another rider, who was probably doing the same to me.

She might not have given a monkeys....but you know that competetive element is strong in plenty of people and they're possibly the ones who dare i say 'resent' ebikes on the grounds they've worked frikkin hard to get where they are fitness wise. Its not logical but is it human nature ?

Just a rambling thought.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ive just placed my order for 750W(peak power) centre drive with 52V battery. It will be fully customisable in setting max current or power and top speed. I will give a max assist speed 19mph. The benefit custom firmware is tailoring battery performance over longer rides. Im not interested in max-ing power output and speed

That's quite a beast of a motor, or could be depending on settings.

You mention longer rides, are you sure that motor/battery combination is best suited to the job?

I reckon 250w/36v would be plenty, and would have the benefit of being nominally road legal, give or take a few mph on the cut off speed.

Venod

Eh up
but you know that competetive element is strong in plenty of people and they're possibly the ones who dare i say 'resent' ebikes on the grounds they've worked frikkin hard to get where they are fitness wise. Its not logical but is it human nature ?

I have had this thought too, but then I thought surely not, if someone passes you on an ebike its because they are on an ebike and nothing to do with fitness, but as they say, theres nowt so queer as folk.

I was going up a hill on the CX putting in (for me) quite a bit of effort and a bloke came breezing past on an e MTB, at first I didn't see the motor and thought my fitness needs some work, when I realised it was an ebike I thought good on you mate if its getting you out, I would have liked a go but he was out of site in no time.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As an increasing user of my ebike (reluctantly i concede i have to, arthritis is getting the better of me and a ride on my roadie the other week left my hips in ...not agony, but in real pain, for 2 days). But think about this.....
I was out on my ebike last weekend and just minding my own business and a lady on a roadbike passed me on the flat. No biggie, she's doing well, i carried on at my pace, she rode onward.
Then we came to a hill. I passed her with ease as she neared the top, red faced and puffing as you would when you're working hard, respect due.
I felt bad as i eased past :sad:, genuinely, because i remember how i prided my fitness, how the slightly competetive element in me would push myself in some unseen, unwitting combat with another rider, who was probably doing the same to me.

She might not have given a monkeys....but you know that competetive element is strong in plenty of people and they're possibly the ones who dare i say 'resent' ebikes on the grounds they've worked frikkin hard to get where they are fitness wise. Its not logical but is it human nature ?

Just a rambling thought.
I know what you mean. I was overtaken by a group at the start of a pull up, and the lady actually said “It’s ok, we are cheating!” so she obviously felt a pang of guilt. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom