E Bikes-abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I pulled out of a junction on Sunday morning, as I turned up the road I saw a Roadie 100 yards in front of me, I was on the MTB & over the next 1/4 mile I closed the gap to less than 30 yards, but at that point he started to move away from me, he hadn't looked round but I was spent, when we got to the top of the hill he stopped & rested on the bench commenting as I passed he was 'knackered', as I rode on I wondered if he'd cheated being on a road bike.

CXRAndy

Guru
That's quite a beast of a motor, or could be depending on settings.

You mention longer rides, are you sure that motor/battery combination is best suited to the job?

I reckon 250w/36v would be plenty, and would have the benefit of being nominally road legal, give or take a few mph on the cut off speed.

My understanding, its rated @ 500W 48V motor. Ive speccd a 35AH battery. The controller could if setup allow peak power upto 750W. These are headline numbers and to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will play with current settings and power to achieve a smooth acceleration without overheating the motor. I will fit a temperature sensor to the motor body to limit current and shut off motor if it gets too hot. If Ive read the settings correct I can taper power depending on cadence and torque being applied by the user. This is a torque sensing motor and requires the rider to apply effort to some degree to get the motor to assist

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Having spent the last few years being passed by everyone, on the flat as well as hills, I must admit a certain evil satisfaction when pulling out and passing other cyclists as they struggle up the hill. I don't do it often now, and certainly not with the group I ride with. I know there are still some who accuse me of 'cheating', even though there are health reasons for my riding my Gain, and I don't want to reinforce their prejudices.

CXRAndy

Guru
In Tenerife this year, we were out for a ride. This old fella on his shopper carrying a large bag of compost sailed by on a 1.5 mile climb at 6% average. Over the course of 6 miles we eventually caught him due to downhills and flats. There is no way this old fella could of cycled up that hill on a conventional non assisted bike. These ebikes have many benefits

I'll wait until they totally look like a normal bike, then find the steepest hill and breeze up to someone with their arse hanging out and hold a conversation with them.

"Lovely day eh. Love being out on the bike, can't beat it. Anyway gotta go, need to work up a sweat, have fun."

youngoldbloke

Bianchi-Aria-E-Road-Ultegra-Disc-Electric-Road-Bike-2019.jpg

You have to look pretty close …
I'll wait until they totally look like a normal bike, then find the steepest hill and breeze up to someone with their arse hanging out and hold a conversation with them.

"Lovely day eh. Love being out on the bike, can't beat it. Anyway gotta go, need to work up a sweat, have fun."

youngoldbloke

you definitely do, not much to give that away if it breezed past you on the road.
Just the IWOC light on the top tube near the stem, a small charging point down near the bottom bracket, and a rather large EBM motor rear hub, more or less hidden by the cassette on one side and the brake disc on the other. All the cables hidden too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
View attachment 470439

You have to look pretty close …
Bianchi ought to be ashamed of themselves ^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
Many commenting on these threads have never ridden an ebike or done so only briefly.

There is widespread ignorance of the capabilities of ebikes and the practicalities of living with one.

I am only aware of these matters because I have done about 3,000 ebike miles a year for the last eight years.

Only issue i have with mine is xc rides.
Where climbing over obstacles is required, my ebike is about 20kg so can be a handful and im physically fit, as for weight when riding its often a plus as it feels planted and sure footed.
Light bikes are skittish, so swings and roundabouts..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My understanding, its rated @ 500W 48V motor. Ive speccd a 35AH battery. The controller could if setup allow peak power upto 750W. These are headline numbers and to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will play with current settings and power to achieve a smooth acceleration without overheating the motor. I will fit a temperature sensor to the motor body to limit current and shut off motor if it gets too hot. If Ive read the settings correct I can taper power depending on cadence and torque being applied by the user. This is a torque sensing motor and requires the rider to apply effort to some degree to get the motor to assist

Assuming it's the Bafang crank motor, they come in four (nominal) sizes: 250w, 350w. 500w, and 750w.

I thought you were getting a 750w which did not sound ideal for the job.

A 500w running not very aggressively makes a lot more sense.

Nothing is for nothing so it will use a fair bit of juice.

The 35ah battery ought to be good for 100 miles.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a Surly Big Dummy which is a long tail cargo bike.

I pass people fairly often on the shared paths, sometimes with my daughter on the back. On numerous occasions people have said things like, ‘Oi you’re cheating on that e-bike!’.

Little do they know it’s just a bog standard Shimano Deore set up with a triple. But it’s hard work justifying my superior cycling ability so I just keep it to myself :ph34r:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I’m lucky enough to own two ebikes and so does my ex semi pro rider work colleague.....I have one set-up with di2, rack and bag, 2.25 slick MTB Tyres and I have the other set-up for purely weekend jaunts around my local road, cycle path and canal network. It’s thoroughly enjoyable riding them and it takes the pain away from my knees when climbing the 1500ft home from the canal network to were I live......before having the E bike I would either had to have parked the car up in the canal car park and just do flat rides, but now the car is parked at home (unused) and I can do the full loop of 37miles and 1509ft climb home with zero pain and full unfettered freedom of the motor vehicle

Win win in my eyes.........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom