E Bikes-abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zanelad

Guru
I ride an ebike. I don't care, and I wonder why anyone would care, about what others think about them. Ride the bike that you want to. I tnink that they're fun to ride, get me to work without sweating and you still get a decent amount of exercise especially if you ride over 16mph.

The first decent hill I rode up was worth the cost of the bike alone. A "proper" (read non assisted ^_^) cyclist overtook me about half a mile before the hill. I reeled him in on the hill, and the double take he made as he looked over his shoulder and saw me a couple of feet from his back wheel made me chuckle for the next few miles. I was thinking about overtaking him, but that seemed rude.

Ride and let ride.

Gary E

Veteran
I seriously considered this one when I bought my last bike :smile:
There have been days when I’ve regretted not buying it.
A5C53A61-6135-466F-B725-4208FDC07ECB.jpeg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst I rarely support banning things nor too much regulations around things, I'm a bit uneasy about an essentially unregulated (no licence, no insurance, etc) small motorcycle that is significantly quicker than the vast majority of pedal cycles. Maybe it is OK, as per traditional european mopeds, but still ...

If it does get the OK there really is no justification for the mode of power (Petrol vs leci) to have any bearing on the driving test or insurance question for a similarly powered (ie amount of power) vehicle, even if the leci version pays less tax.

MiK1138

Veteran
It probably means they just haven't tried one yet then. The "ebike smile" was how it was explained to me. It didn't take me long to understand why. :thumbsup:
The E bike Smile is defo a thing I remember the first time I tried one I just couldn't believe how good it felt, had a shot of an E Cargo bike a couple of weeks ago WOW

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Whilst I rarely support banning things nor too much regulations around things, I'm a bit uneasy about an essentially unregulated (no licence, no insurance, etc) small motorcycle that is significantly quicker than the vast majority of pedal cycles. Maybe it is OK, as per traditional european mopeds, but still ...

If it does get the OK there really is no justification for the mode of power (Petrol vs leci) to have any bearing on the driving test or insurance question for a similarly powered (ie amount of power) vehicle, even if the leci version pays less tax.
It’s not a motorcycle and it’s not significantly quicker than a vast majority of pedal cycles

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm not judgmental to Ebikes or the riders of them. My dad has one and uses it regularly. With a replacement hip and arthritis it's a god send for him to keep on cycling as its now impossible for him to cycle on a conventional bike. It means we can still enjoy cycling together which means a lot, to both of us. As for Ebikes being for the so called lazy person, "so what" Its their life and their decision as to what they want or do in life. I would rather see an Ebike on the road to a car any day, and for whatever the reasons the cyclists choose to ride them its there business.
There's an old guy i sometimes cycle with. He's been cycling since i was barely a twinkle in my dads eye and is a very respected veteran of competitive cycling in my area. Age has caught up with him now and his mind is young but his body says no. His road Ebike keeps him going with us relatively younger guy's on good run outs and is a joy to see him enjoying it. He's well in his 80s bless him.
What would he do without his Ebike
Waste away physically and mentally no doubt.
We are all lucky to be in a time of technology where we will have the chance to continue to cycle when our bodies start to struggle with conventional bikes.
Judging anybody or Ebikes is not for me. I don't care whether they are lazy or fat, old or young. That goes for conventional cyclists either.
To me, seeing another cyclist is just another person enjoying the freedom it offers and one less car hogging the roads

OP
OP
J

jowwy

It is a cycle and it has a motor
QEFD
Nope - it’s defiantly called an E Bike...not a motorbike, not a moped, not a scooter......it’s legally named and quite aptly named an E bike

A motorcycle used a combustion engine, an e bike uses an electric motor and also needs to be pedalled in order for it to be used legally in the UK

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What is the topic if it isn't supposed to be a discussion about Ebikes? If you just wanted people to agree with your OP why start a thread, why not just put it as a profile update or ask mod to lock this as soon as you'd made it?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

What is the topic if it isn't supposed to be a discussion about Ebikes? If you just wanted people to agree with your OP why start a thread, why not just put it as a profile update or ask mod to lock this as soon as you'd made it?
There is already a thread about speed, power......

This is a thread about the abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders.....

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I followed your survey thread about increasing the limits, even before it got locked and tidied, and what you called 'anti e-bike' people on there were actually very supportive of e-bikes. They just disagreed with you about speed limits, or more specifically about the speed differentials between e-bikes and slower users such as other bikes and pedestrians, eg on shared paths.
And yes, I do know that unpowered bikes can go faster than 15mph. they are also a problem when used at inappropriate speeds in inappropriate places.

For a powered vehicle (e-bike) to be unlicensed, untaxed and uninsured, and still be permitted to mix with pedestrians and slower bikes, there has to be a sensible limit to its speed. If someone disagrees with you about that limit, it does not automatically mean the person is anti e-bike.

The occasional negative post does not equate to anti e-bike rhetoric being 'rife'.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This is a thread about the abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders.....
That's what I thought, I wasn't clear in my post I'm sorry. It's not much of a discussion if you want posts from people that aren't on the same page as you moderated though.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

That's what I thought, I wasn't clear in my post I'm sorry. It's not much of a discussion if you want posts from people that aren't on the same page as you moderated though.
My comments get moderated if people believe I am being uncivil.....so I should have the same right as those, if I feel they are being anti ebike or spreading bile and rhetoric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom