E Bikes-abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think you're going to get some abuse whatever the subject matter may be, Ebikes would certainly not be excluded from that. I see far far more gentle ribbing than out and out disdain though, it's mostly rather tongue in cheek. And if you enjoy it, sod 'em, give them a wave and a cheery hello as you cruise up the hill.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Being adults it's good that we don't sit in our own personal echo chambers only hearing what we want to hear. Having your viewpoint challenged is good for you.

33ev0l.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

@jowwy Please take this in the way it was intended, you come over as a somewhat e-bike zealot, I think you will find that some of the comments are being deliberately obtuse to wind you up. I tried to engage with you over the increase in speed, but you weren't having any of it, you're responses were aggressive & very much I am right you are wrong, so much so I walked away from the thread, you seemed to have forgotten I have asked you how good the Cube's are in the past as I was considering buying one. It is only the cost which has put me off.

I think if you go back over the e-bike threads you will find that it is only you that has brought out this reaction in other members, I know you won't like it but I do think you have to consider this is a reaction to the way you post, if you reigned it in slightly so would the naysayers.

Edit:- I know this is a bit personal so please feel free to report, I'm justtrying to help.

Whilst I rarely support banning things nor too much regulations around things, I'm a bit uneasy about an essentially unregulated (no licence, no insurance, etc) small motorcycle that is significantly quicker than the vast majority of pedal cycles. Maybe it is OK, as per traditional european mopeds, but still ...

If it does get the OK there really is no justification for the mode of power (Petrol vs leci) to have any bearing on the driving test or insurance question for a similarly powered (ie amount of power) vehicle, even if the leci version pays less tax.

Can't speak for other European nations but here you need a car or "mofa" licence, and you have to buy a new licence plate every year: the fee for this covers insurance and registration.

An Ebike capable of more than 29km/h (18mph) is officially a Mofa and you need an annual licence plate for it.

Gary E

Veteran
Seriously, I haven't seen any anti-eBike comments on here. I've seen comments against speed/assist increases and negative comments about individuals on eBikes acting irresponsibly but not heard anyone call for them to be abolished.

eBikes undoubtedly have their place in the hobby and fill several niches - assisting people who couldn't otherwise manage to ride due to age, injury or disability. Allowing people who could manage a 40 mile ride to do a 60 mile ride. Allowing riders of different abilities to ride together. Allowing commuters to get to work in a state fit to work rather than as a sweaty mess. For those who want to get out and see the scenery but aren't necessarily bothered about the cycling/exercise bit. For nerds (like me) who just love a gadget. To enable people to chose to ride rather than use a car. I could go on but you get the point - anything that makes our hobby more inclusive has to be a good thing right?

Maybe we should have a poll solely asking if eBikes (not their riders, their misuse, the price or whether they think they need regulating/licencing etc.) are a good thing or a bad thing? I bet the vast majority of people, if they stuck solely to these criteria, would struggle to find many negative points?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Maybe we should have a poll solely asking if eBikes (not their riders, their misuse, the price or whether they think they need regulating/licencing etc.) are a good thing or a bad thing? I bet the vast majority of people, if they stuck solely to these criteria, would struggle to find many negative points?

Do you mean like this one, started by Jowwy?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/e-bikes.239642/

So it looks the good people of CC are majorly in favour of the ebike..........

so a huge yes to ebikes............nice one cc'ers

Gary E

Veteran
Do you mean like this one, started by Jowwy?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/e-bikes.239642/

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

So in a poll of 90 (ish) people only 1 came out against eBikes!

That has to be one of the most decisive polls we've had on here :wahhey:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Can't speak for other European nations but here you need a car or "mofa" licence, and you have to buy a new licence plate every year: the fee for this covers insurance and registration.

An Ebike capable of more than 29km/h (18mph) is officially a Mofa and you need an annual licence plate for it.

That sounds a reasonably sensible place to draw the line. I would need convincing that any motorised transport that is faster than the majority of cyclists should be exempt. Leci vs petrol is irrelevant in my view.

MarkF

Guru
I don't physically need an e-bike to do my commute but I would like a cycle that enables me to do it and arrive at work non-sweaty. The Orbea Gain looks just the thing for me but I have motorcycle license and using a Suzuki Van Van to commute is cheaper than me buying and using an Orbea Gain, my annnual running costs are sub £300 and the residual value is not falling....

I am seriously considering an Orbea Gain (subject to ever riding one) as I'd prefer to cycle rather than ride but for those with a MC license, we can commute faster and more economically.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't physically need an e-bike to do my commute but I would like a cycle that enables me to do it and arrive at work non-sweaty

I met a woman on a cycling holiday. She was extremely strong rider, much stronger than I was. In discussion she said she cycled an hour into work most days, but used an ebike so she arrived fresh and not sweaty as you describe. She seemed to have the ideal job/location commuting along the Lake Geneva shore line-heard that line before^_^

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I met a woman on a cycling holiday. She was extremely strong rider, much stronger than I was. In discussion she said she cycled an hour into work most days, but used an ebike so she arrived fresh and not sweaty as you describe. She seemed to have the ideal job/location commuting along the Lake Geneva shore line-heard that line before^_^
That's what they should be used for, Not keeping up with club cyclist's on proper bikes.:wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom