E Bikes-abuse and rhetoric posted about ebikes and their riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have a Surly Big Dummy which is a long tail cargo bike.

I pass people fairly often on the shared paths, sometimes with my daughter on the back. On numerous occasions people have said things like, ‘Oi you’re cheating on that e-bike!’.

Little do they know it’s just a bog standard Shimano Deore set up with a triple. But it’s hard work justifying my superior cycling ability so I just keep it to myself :ph34r:
You'll have seen the Big Easy...

BigEasy_BK3781.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

You'll have seen the Big Easy...
It is big but it doesn't look easy to me

Riese and Muller are active in the ecargobike market.

They make a long tail one like the Surly, and Dutch style cargo bikes with a forward mounted luggage tray/child seat.

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/

Looking nice.

I still prefer my very simple Bakfiets though: one reason it still works so well after a decade of use is that it's a simple as possible with no suspension or hydraulics, and no motor to break down or battery to suddenly stop holding a charge.

It's pretty heavy though, so I don't manage to overtake anyone...

CXRAndy

Guru
We have an old rider 80yr+ in our village. He was out several times a week doing upto 70-80milers. A few years ago he suffered a stroke. Struggling with fitness and pace he has just got an Orbea ebike- very nice. He's backup to 65 milers now at a decent 15 mph

Last edited:
Here in NL there are many variations of cargobikes/bakfietsen, some electric, many not. Depending on my shift pattern, I'll regularly draw up behind a woman with 3 kids in her bakfiets, winter & summer. It's electric but I'll catch up with her and there's not a lot of space to overtake. No problem for me - I think it's great to see that.
DHL have just added a very substantial E-bike to their local courier fleet. Pretty impressive.

On the other hand, the sheer number of (silent) food couriers flying around the city centre is a real nuisance, partly because the bikes are ridden by kids who are in a hurry, partly because they are moving faster than just about any other bike in the centre. Their only redeeming feature are the (very) bright lights they are kitted out with.

Last year I hosted a German chap through Warmshowers and he was telling me about how in his city they (a kind of bike co-op) have bought 2 different types of cargo bike that are available to hire out for what I thought was a very good price. If I remember correctly, the larger of the 2 was electric. I thought it was a fabulous idea.

I've met a couple who stopped touring when their kids were small, but were busy planning a long tour again with the kids able to match the adult distances by using e-bikes. Again, a great idea.

And I'll never forget an older German couple I met on Lake Konstanz in freezing drizzle (the day after temps in the mid 20s). They had rented Ebikes and had been looking forward to their little tour for 6 months. They never would have attempted it without the comfort of an E-motor. They were totally ill-equipped for the weather but the sheer joy they transmitted was a real pleasure to witness. I'd hate to deny anyone that joy.

There are a lot of uses for Ebikes, some more civic friendly than others. I think there's a real danger that if the unfriendly aspects are not controlled the only option will be very stringent controls.

ozboz

Guru
We have an old rider 80yr+ in our village. He was out several times a week doing upto 70-80milers. A few years ago he suffered a stroke. Struggling with fitness and pace he has just got an Orbea ebike- very nice. He's backup to 65 milers now at a decent 15 mph

That is a big positive in any ones book , I doff my Cap !

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That's great , but sorry to be pedantic, shouldn't that be 'up to a decent 15mph'

Slick

Guru
They are not just aimed at beginner, unexperiened, non cyclists. They are ridden by professional, ex professional, cyclists, mtbers all over the world....people need to stop this fascination that they are only ridden by idiots and unexperienced riders.

Its getting boring people, move on....they are the future whether you like it or not and are here to stay.
I'm not entirely sure anyone really disagrees with any of that. I've posted a few times now that I think they are amazing and will have no hesitation in getting one when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom