E-bikes remaining as vulnerable users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
How fast can you do down a rabbit hole? Barking up the wrong tree.

On vulnerability, 15.5 mph has its pros and cons. Overall it is a good thing.

Alex321

Veteran
I definitely will not be buying insurance for cycling on my ebike and regularly hit 40mph .
Riding at 20mph is easy and being overtaken by cars in a 20 mph zone happens alot.

If you find riding an e-assist bike "easy" at 20mph when solo on the flat, then you are close to a professional level cyclist.

Most of us can do that sort of speed on a regular road bike (not necessarily for long, though reasonably young and fit riders will be able to maintain it for a fair while), but on something weighing several kilos more, it would be possible but certainly not "easy" to keep up for any length of time.

And while not legally required, insurance is definitely advisable - though your household insurance may well cover you for tird party liabiluty for your leisure activities (including cycling).

Alex321

Veteran
Well it looks like e- bikes are going to remain as vulnerable road users in the EU.
That means no insurance is required and they have the same rights as cyclists and pedestrians.
All good I suppose but what about all this stuff you can buy to derestrict them.
For £150 I could make the maximum assistance speed 99kmh with various set ups through a phone app.
Court ruling will be in late December to classify e-bikes for road use.
So here we have the problem.

Say for example I'm doing 20mph on an e-bike in a 20mph zone and a car decides to overtake causing me to crash.
The car would of had to break the speed limit to get past me.
I claim for damages etc etc...
What I really wonder tho is weather cycling insurance is a good idea or does it just start a trend that can't be reversed?

As cyclists insurance is not necessary and as vulnerable road users we have right of passage in various situations...
BUT I think this e- bike thing is going to cause trouble ahead...

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.co...ules-that-e-bikes-are-bicycles-not-motorbikes

It doesn't make the slightest difference whether it is an e-bike or a normal bike if you are riding at 20mph (which is significantly easier to do on a regular road bike than on an e-assist bike).

And de-restricting them makes them into illegal vehicles on the road unless you register them and get tax & insurance.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
They are bikes and they are cyclists. No ifs or buts. And why should law abiding cyclists be penalised because of the numpty few who think its fine to de restrict them and break the law. There are people who can only cycle using an ebike for various reasons. They are getting out and about and exercising and that should be encouraged.

We have enough them and us without adding another kind of bike or mode of transport to the list.

There are cyclists who jump traffic lights, should all bikes be banned from the road just because of the few?

Instead of trying to stop people's enjoyment, just go for the importers, or manufacturer or sellers of those things or the cyclists themselves. Give them fines big enough to deter them.

OP
OP
S

Squirrel Chaser

I do wish people would read posts properly.

Bit like saying I wish cars wouldn't speed to overtake cyclists

Alex321

Veteran
I tootle along at around 20 most places.
Seems normal enough to me.

Most riders, particularly those who will use e-bikes can't just "tootle around" at 20mph. Are you sure your speedo is accurate (and reading mph not kph)?

Even world tour races on long stages or single day races will usually only average about 25mph, and that is riding in a large group, which adds significantly to the comfortable speed.

I haven't seen any of the local clubs suggesting rides averaging more than 18mph, and most are putting out rides with much lower average than that.

Alex321

Veteran
Speedo correct
Bike speed correct.
I go faster than 20 at times.....

So do I, quite frequently. On downhills, or on the flat when I am pushing fairly hard. But I couldn't "easily" keep up 20mph while just "tootling around", and I don't believe many of us could.

And people riding e-bikes are less likely to be the type of young and fit individuals who could do so.

Top Bottom