E-bikes remaining as vulnerable users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
'All good I suppose but what about all this stuff you can buy to derestrict them.
For £150 I could make the maximum assistance speed 99kmh with various set ups through a phone app.'

These ones do.

OP
OP
S

Squirrel Chaser

Incorrect.
Then show me where my e-bike is required to be taxed and insured

Alex321

Veteran
Yep, shouldn't be on the roads , dangerous.
Go round a corner traveling twice as fast as the bike and boom there it is.
It's dangerous end of.
How more cyclists don't get run over is beyond me

I think you are the one who shouldn't be on the road, if you drive in such a way that such cyclists are a "danger" to you (or rather you are dangerous to them).

You should ALWAYS be driving at a speed such that you can STOP in the distance you can see to be clear. Not just slow down to the 15mph that cyclist may be doing, but completely stop.

If you are driving significantly faster than that, then you are a danger on the roads.

Alex321

Veteran
Then show me where my e-bike is required to be taxed and insured

You don;'t have an e-bike. The legal ones are e-assist bikes, limited to only providing power when you are pedalling (or speed is below 4mph in some cases), and only up to 15.5mph. If they provide power above that speed, or when you are not pedalling, then they are e-bikes, and are exactly the same as any electric motorbike, requiring the same registration, tax and insurance.

Article text, it's worth reading:

"The European Union Court of Justice has ruled that e-bikes are bicycles, not motor vehicles, because they are "not propelled exclusively by mechanical power". This ruling, which settles a debate that has been ongoing since e-bikes started appearing on our streets, means that electric bicycles do not need to be insured, unlike a car or motorbike.

It also means that people riding e-bikes are classed as vulnerable road users, just like pedestrians or people riding normal bicycles.

Read more: Businesses in France offering employees company e-bikes rather than company cars

The case was brought to court following a dispute in Belgium. A cyclist riding an e-bike was struck by a driver, was seriously injured, and sadly died several months later. During the court proceedings to decide upon the cyclist's right to compensation, a dispute arose regarding the legal classification of his e-bike.
The cyclist was using a pedal-assist e-bike, without a throttle. Nonetheless, the Belgian courts wanted clarification. If the victim was 'the driver of a motor vehicle', he would be entitled to far less compensation than if he was 'vulnerable road user'.

The Belgian Court of Cassation referred the question to the EU Court of Justice, which cast its judgement on October 12.

The courts ruled that, since "the bicycle's motor merely provided pedal assistance", it was not a motor vehicle, and does not need insurance, like a car, truck or motorbike.

In the main, this is because the law requiring vehicle insurance is there to protect other road users. E-bikes, ruled the courts, do not present the same danger to others as heavier, faster-moving and mechanically-propelled vehicles.

The court ruled: "Devices which are not propelled exclusively by mechanical power, such as an electric bicycle which may accelerate to 20 km/h without pedalling, do not appear to be capable of causing bodily or material damage to third parties comparable to the damage that may be caused by motorcycles, cars, trucks or other vehicles propelled exclusively by mechanical power, which can reach significantly higher speeds."

As a result, e-bikes are not 'vehicles' and do not require insurance – good news for all e-bike users in Europe. As a result of this case, the definition of a 'vehicle' is set to be updated on from December 23. "

My opinion - good, this is common sense approach. Whilst some UK eBikes can have a throttle those are what you might called classic or historic bikes. All eBikes after a certain time they have to be assist only so I appreciate that I am still classed as a vulnerable road user.

Anything that doesn't conform to the current UK regs of the definition of an eBike e.g. all of these illegally ridden eMotorbikes don't need additional laws, laws already exist such as requiring them to be taxed.

eBike owners as any other bike owner should consider 3rd party liability insurance as a common sense approach but it shouldn't be a legal requirement.

I don't think the answer to that illegally ridden eMotorbike problem is to redefine a eBike as an (electric) motor vehicle, but to ensure eMotorbikes are been ridden legally e.g. better regulation at point of sale, more enforcement on the street of the tax, insurance and licence restrictions.

Lastly correct me if I am wrong but if eBikes (as they are defined today) were to require insurance, then they also require tax and a licence. How many eBike users (Inc anyone under 17) would be immediately excluded as they don't have a licence?

Top Bottom