E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Every morning I see a bloke racing along on what looks like an escooter....with a seat. Passed me this morning on the road, probably doing about 20mph, no reg, no lights, dressed in black. Is it an 'electric motorbike' if you're sitting down?

icowden

Veteran
Every morning I see a bloke racing along on what looks like an escooter....with a seat. Passed me this morning on the road, probably doing about 20mph, no reg, no lights, dressed in black. Is it an 'electric motorbike' if you're sitting down?
Surely it would be an electric moped?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Surely it would be an electric moped?

Going back to my teenage years when I had mates with mopeds, from memory - you never pedalled them. The "ped" bit was nighmarishly cumbersome and incredibly hard work. You only ever used the "mo" bit,

Leccy bikes are a lot lighter and more of a mix of the two (I think, anyway)

If can;t be pedalled and complies with all the other Pedalec regulations - then it is an motorbike or moped
Power source and type of motor are not relevant

Hence license, number plates, DVLA approval, helmet and all that - are needed

just because you bought it from Halfords and they muttered something about private land makes no difference

BTW - anyone bought one from a well known retailer - and if so
a) did they mention the illegality of using it on the road
b) how much to not tell on you????
:whistle:
:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Have you been mis-sold an e-scooter? You could be due thousands of pounds in compensation! Just go to escootermisselling.com

I think you may have spotted a gap in the market!!!!

Jody

Stubborn git
I've seen a guy more than once in the last week riding an e-scooter (small wheeled type) on the road doing 30-40mph. He looks like an absolute liability but there is little chance of him being stopped. Always has his face totally covered with no helmet (obvs)

The worst part is I saw him hop up onto a pavement when traffic started to queue and he carried on riding at 30+

Jody

Stubborn git
I saw one a few months ago blatting along a country road, keeping up with the traffic doing 45 or 50mph. Terrifying to watch.

Utterly terrifying.

Especially given the head angle and ability to superman yourself into orbit if you hit a stone/pothole.

Top Bottom