E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm guessing it's partly a trial

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I for one dont welcome them. Cycling has been around for well over century and anyone wanting cheap and effective local or urban transport need look no further, but they choose not too because that smacks of effort A powered scooter is simply pandering to the bone idle lazy and self entitled.

My sentiments exactly.

I note in the BBC article that PACT says that illegal fast scooters - some can do up to 85kph, which is about 52 mph in old money - that they'll get used in public and the rules are being glossed over. How true, the Tories won't be able to police this now. Thanks a bunch Boris you fat fool, I'll now have to deal with morons on these on cyclpaths...:cursing:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Rental e-scooters to be made legal on UK roads from Saturday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

So what's the thinking in not allowing privately owned scooters?
I presume there will be licences offered to the rental operators. If there’s chaos and carnage the licences can be withdrawn. It also makes it easier to ensure type approval and provides a link between machines involved in injury collisions and the renter that paid for it.

Drago

Legendary Member
The BBC are jumping the gun. It's still not been officially announced.

However, I'm sure the BBC didn't make it up for a laugh, although they seem to do that with a lot of news reporting. A similar trial didn't go especially well in Paris, and I'm sure the British are unlikely to behave any more sensibly.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
From the BBC article.
The government will set out later the rules by which e-scooter-for-hire firms and riders should abide.
Good to see it all being joined up and communicated in the usual way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's so difficult about a human powered adult scooter - they are quite fun. A colleague uses one on occasion to cut the travel time right down from the station to the office, which is 25 minutes brisk walk. Takes her 10 mins on the scooter. Even my fuddy duddy Brother in law has an adult scooter.

dodgy

So what's the thinking in not allowing privately owned scooters?

As others have said, insurance probably. But also it's a pilot, it's good to have consistency to measure success. So they'll have a known quantity of escooters, with a known max speed and a known state of maintenance.

tyred

Legendary Member
I think these could be a great commuting tool and in theory should help reduce congestion and get cards of the road.

The sad reality is that it wouldn't make much difference as people are allergic to being out in anything less than perfect weather and they want the biggest possible 4X4 tank to feel more important than Mr. Jones next door and to keep little Samantha safe from all the drivers of lesser cars on the 353.2 metre journey to school.

I think these could be a great commuting tool and in theory should help reduce congestion and get cards of the road.

The sad reality is that it wouldn't make much difference as people are allergic to being out in anything less than perfect weather and they want the biggest possible 4X4 tank to feel more important than Mr. Jones next door and to keep little Samantha safe from all the drivers of lesser cars on the 353.2 metre journey to school.
And that's why the present cycling mania will die a death once this lockdown eases and the bad weather arrives.

D

Deleted member 26715

And that's why the present cycling mania will die a death once this lockdown eases and the bad weather arrives.
Rang Giant in Sheffield today for a part for a friend talking to the woman who answered the phone whilst her colleague went to check whether the part they said they had in stock actually existed, she commented that they have seen a decrease in activity in the last 10 days

dodgy

It's true I'm afraid. If the weather is absolutely perfect = loads of new cyclists. The minute it's anything less than absolutely optimum weather = quiet.

Top Bottom