Ealing council experimenting with traffic lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
yes, they are shutting off 3 sets of traffic lights in the borough in order to see what the effect of this is, making the junctions free flowing and open to drivers discretion.
Interesting idea but what will be the effect on the most vunerable of road users, the cyclists?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't know - I know when I have found a set of traffic lights out - that it causes a bit of confusion and everyone slows down, and were more considerate than normal. However I'm not so sure that would happen in the long term with everyone - I'm sure that some would barge their way through once they were used to the system.

Are these lights on your route?

Bigtwin

I seem to recall that it was in Brazillia that the lights failed across the whole city, and journey times halved, as did the accident rate.

Certainly, when the lights packed up at the big intersectin in the middle of Guildford last year for a few days, the traffic never flowed better.

Lots of European cities turn lights off or onto tripped mode at night - we can't seem to manage that level of common sense. And probably won't now we have revenue generating junction cams.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
In San Salvador they use to switch off the traffic lights at night to save money (they may still). The theory is great. In practice not many cars in San Salvador had pristine bodywork.

That isn't to say that this kind of thing shouldn't be trialled. It's just a pity that Ealing Borough Council is so unkeen on bus lanes.

Origamist

Legendary Member
More info here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6207518.ece

Here are the junctions:
  • Acton Lane and Barrets Green Road, in Acton
  • Ruislip Road and Greenford Avenue, in Hanwell
  • Western Road and Montague Way, in Southall
  • King Street and Western Road, in Southall
  • Windmill Avenue and Windmill Lane at St Bernard's Hospital access, in Southall
  • Gunnersbury Lane and Bollo Lane, in Acton
  • Twyford Avenue and Creffield Road, in Acton
I'm keen to see how the trial progresses...

OP
OP
D

DJ

summerdays said:
Don't know - I know when I have found a set of traffic lights out - that it causes a bit of confusion and everyone slows down, and were more considerate than normal. However I'm not so sure that would happen in the long term with everyone - I'm sure that some would barge their way through once they were used to the system.

Are these lights on your route?

No.

OP
OP
D

DJ

dellzeqq said:
In San Salvador they use to switch off the traffic lights at night to save money (they may still). The theory is great. In practice not many cars in San Salvador had pristine bodywork.

That isn't to say that this kind of thing shouldn't be trialled. It's just a pity that Ealing Borough Council is so unkeen on bus lanes.

What do you mean? They don't have any bus lanes!!!!

Thanks for the link (again) Origamist, what I really find interesting here is not so much the outcome of the experiment but the fact that the trial is being carried out at all! I think it shows that town planners or road planners at least are shifting the way they think about controling traffic and road users.
I believe the idea would work better if as others have said the whole of the cities lights where turned off but what may well happen is that it will just cause larger jams at the next set of (working) lights
I think planners are starting to realise that cycling is a great asset to the city and that they are starting to change there ideas to make things easier for the cyclist. The idea could work if bikes are given right of way over cars like pedestrians officialy have the right of way over cars.

I'm not sure about the experiment either, I like the predictability of lights and their ability to break up the flow. Any junction I've seen where lights are out rush hour traffic gets used to it fast and any doubt/ caution soon disappears as long as you're not the poor person stuck in the side road.

CotterPin

Lights were out northbound from City Road onto the Old Street roundabout this evening. Everyone seemed to be moving but cautiously. But as others said, what happens when you get used to the absence of lights. Hopefully the Ealing Experiment will uncover that.

skrx

I've gone through Putney a couple of times when the lights have failed on the junction of Putney High Street [leading to Putney Bridge] and Upper Richmond Road [South Circular], both busy roads.

When there wasn't much traffic, people were being cautious and yielding where appropriate -- except to pedestrians trying to cross (and lots do, Putney Station is very close by). They were left to run across when they dared.

When there was a lot of traffic I got off and walked on the pavement, as it was complete gridlock. Police were signalling traffic when I returned an hour later.

Hopefully the junctions in Ealing are less busy.

Davidc

Guru
dellzeqq said:
I wouldn't fancy it late at night.

I think you're right.

The lack of lights will possibly scare drivers, riders and pedestrians into caution while there are plenty of people using the junctions, but once it's quiet the same people who jump lights etc. will just ignore the risks and race on through.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
How embarrassing I've noticed absolutely no difference even though I live in Southall and not only cycle commute to Hammersmith every day but cycle around the areas of Acton and Ealing all the time. A very effective council notification then. Oh and I would add that not only is Ealing Council not keen on bus lanes they're pants at maintaining the ones we do have.

Bman

Guru
Why dont they just stick a painted white lump in the middle and turn it into a RAB?

At least people would know how to deal with it.

Top Bottom