Easiest way to increase FTP legally?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Training,
A virtual power a like Trainer Road or Zwift perhaps and working in FTP zones is a good form of training. Or even a real PM. Don't get too hung up on your FTP, watts to KG is more relevant.

Drago

Legendary Member
A sudden onset of asthma requiring large doses of steroid treatment. Not that I pay much interest to such things, but apparently the proportion of top flight racing cyclists with the affliction is very high. How jolly odd.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
A sudden onset of asthma requiring large doses of steroid treatment. Not that I pay much interest to such things, but apparently the proportion of top flight racing cyclists with the affliction is very high. How jolly odd.
I need more proof, I have brown inhaler for prevention and blue inhaler for attacks and I don't get any performance benefit what so ever. Just sets me back to normal.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think the idea is that its for people who are fibbing and who don't really have asthma.
And you have access to medical records to prove this assumption????? Or are just spouting nonsense like the other minions???

I am no authority on training at all so when I decided to train properly for racing this year I bought powermeters and as I didn't have much of a clue I hired a coach to tell me what to do and where I was going wrong. So after sifting through my previous rides data and a ftp test he determined that my Sprint was above average , my endurance was fine but slowish. My race pace was not up to scratch for a 1-1.5 hrs race ie true FTP of effort over a hour.
So my training to improve race pace and FTP was mostly done on the turbo at powers and BPM just below or just above FTP complete turbo session including warm up and warm down around the 1 hr mark. For me no need for long endurance rides. When I go for a road ride try to keep them around the 2hr mark but at around FTP power but with a bit of a structure to them ie last 3 miles at a bit higher BPM . ( as I am xc racing I also do skills sessions, hill work, chaingangs etc which is not FTP training)
Also looking at my data it showed that I had been slacking on my training rides and doing to much coasting also it showed I am no endurance athelete and cant do day after day of training , I usually only do 2 hard days in a row. I have many more rest days than I ever did before, also I actually do less miles and in 2 months I improved my FTP by 20 watts. Since I seem to have plateaued but I was fairly fit before I started and I am 55 so I am not going to make big gains.
I like having a coach as I can just get my plan for the week and just go and do it, theres plenty of stuff online but I thought I would treat myself for this year and see how it goes.
Are you trying to improve FTP for TT, racing or just you've done a test and want to get better?

Top Bottom