East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Oh no:sad:. Is it still under warranty? You haven't had it that long have you.

Yeah - it won't cost me anything to have it fixed. Just such an anti-climax! Worse things happen at sea - had an afternoon down the pub with my girlfriend and friends and felt better after lots of sympathy! Looking for another event this summer now! If not - next year.

Well done all!

Bandini

I was on my own again for a while, and went past Bandini with his ruptured ring. The hills were starting to get a bit harder now, and I occasionally had to stop to give my legs a rest before carrying on.

Then at 50km in I ran out of water. I'd had two 750ml bottles of Go Juice, but after 3 hours I drained them both. I couldn't see a shop anywhere and it seemed like ages until the feed station.

Oh no! I had 3 750ml bottles on - and had over a litre (of 50:50 OJ and water with added maltodextribn and electrolytes!) left - you should have said!

Fiona N

Veteran
I had one of those days of two parts again :unsure: as I initially rode out with a lady wearing a matching jersey to mine and her two male companions but, by South Dalton, I'd decided they were too fast for me on the hills so there wasn't much point hanging on and tiring myself out early on. So I let them go and rode on my own until I meet up with Velocidad and SaltyDog on the run in to Thixendale. They too were too fast for me on the hill but I caught and passed them on the X-wind slog at the top (sorry I didn't stop to say 'bye, guys :blush:, I'd just found a good rhythm). This got to be a bit of a pattern as people who surged past me on the climbs got reeled in on the flats and, especially, the downhills. Somehow, having got Thixendale out of the way, I warmed up a bit but still it was 3.20 on the clock before I left the feed station after Huggate - resisting the lure of even more Jaffa cakes - so I wasn't even thinking of a silver time.
But then I noticed the lady with the matching jersey just leaving ahead of me and the competitive urge kicked in ^_^ and it was caution to the wind all the way back. I caught the aforementioned lady and companions on the climbs after Warter (for my money, the worse climbs on the route as you're anticipating Nurburnholme by this stage and just want to get on with it). I think they must have burned out by then as they certainly weren't keeping the pace they had at the start.
Nurburnholme seemed harder than last week but then I didn't have the 30 knot tailwind blowing me up it this time. Once again on the downhill I picked off several riders who were faster on the uphills and maintained the momentum all the way home to get in at 4.42 on my 'lap time' counter.
I really am quite surprised that I managed such a fast time on the return leg - faster by far than last week's run even though there wasn't anything like the tailwind to blow you back from Market Weighton yesterday. Clearly I'm just going to return next year and try for a gold time :biggrin:

Nice to meet everybody along the way or in the cafeteria afterwards and major respect to Hulver for making it on a fixie :bravo: - quite beyond my comprehension getting up those hills without gears

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Oh no! I had 3 750ml bottles on - and had over a litre (of 50:50 OJ and water with added maltodextribn and electrolytes!) left - you should have said!

I didn't run out until I'd passed you. I didn't really think about it until I actually ran out, then I thought "Bandini had quite a few bottles, I should have asked him for a refill"
biggrin.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hmm, what speed do I look like I'm doing?

tn_12110_2449788734c43285eea95c.jpg

I think I might have cranked up to 4mph at that point, having left the rambler for dust.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nice to meet everybody along the way or in the cafeteria afterwards and major respect to Hulver for making it on a fixie :bravo: - quite beyond my comprehension getting up those hills without gears

Hear hear! Hard enough WITH gears....

Is it just me, or are the results not up yet (Link not clickable)? I'm in no rush, just checking...

I suspect my time, although officially bronze, is really more of a cheesemetal/tin alloy. ;)

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My pic climbing the 'Big Nun', does not do the gradient justice, I also don't remember riding through the big pink writing across the road :biggrin:

147_12110_5619027.jpeg

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
The times have been published.

I'm Lanterne Rouge! Last place
thebiggrin.gif

15 minutes after Arch.

06:46:19

Well, I was going for a bronze time.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Also, somebody (can't remember who, sorry) was asking me about mapping on my Garmin.

Here's the link to the place on yacf where the guy who did the maps posts.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
6hrs 31mins...

Does vet stand for what I think it stands for? :unsure:

I'm officially old...

My girls were very amused to see me described as a Senior. A couple of years and I'll be a Vet as well. Easier than 7 years at University, but I don't think anybody will be letting me at their livestock.
wink.gif

zacklaws

Guru
Well, I was going for a bronze time.

Hulver does this relate to a bronze medal or time spent out in the sunshine getting a tan?

Well done to everyone I think we all had a good time, and well done to Craig for that time, the thought of going up Hanging Grimston makes me wince, and feel sorry for Bandini who had some unpredictable bad luck, but probably with hindsight perhaps it was better it went on an organised event than alone in the middle of nowhere with no immediate assistance at hand so perhaps it may have been for the best to find out that mechanical failure of a component. I saw you at the end and suspected something was amiss but never got chance to speak. (leg was cramping, so I was a bit reluctant to stand or walk too much)

I had an odd day, started to suffer cramp in my right leg about 10 miles out which was unusual and could not shake it off throughout the ride, so much for electrolyte powder. Not really sure what caused it, but I thought our group was all setting off together but inadvertantly set off with the time triallists (who were after the fastest times and I think they succeded) but I did not discover my error till about the 14 mile mark, when I was approached from behind and someone enquired "can you not keep up with them" to see another club member who I had presumed was in front of me , but I did shock them at the begining when I overtook them all on the first hill we got too, literally flew past them. In reality though that was accidental, I had too much downhill speed and did not want to brake and waste all that energy and also did not want to be out in the middle of the road alongside everyone on the A road so just sped up and flew too the front. I have a feeling I may have exerted myself a bit before I got warmed up and that caused the cramp.

After that it was agony all the way, the slightest change in cadence, gear change or gradient would start the cramp off, Nunburnholme took me ten and a half minutes, my worst time since last year, when I regard 8 minutes as OK these days on a long ride, looking at my graphs, my cadence, heartrate and speed hardly fluctuate on Nunburnholme, any attempt at standing to pedal would be rewarded with cramp. After the top of Nunburnholme, I can see that I was hardly peddaling downhill, on Tuesday when I did the Big G, my speeds were well in excess of 30mph but on the day I only touched 28mph momentarily and just coasted down.

I even had a mystery back problem which hit me on Friday night as I rolled around in agony screaming in bed with cramp all down my left side, my partner was also rolling around too, but it was with laughing at me in agony screaming. If anyone knows what caused that, don't tell me it's terminal. But it caused me problems all the ride because my back hurt all the way around especially on hills, and the more I exerted myself, the more it hurt, it was a case of take the pain to the unbearable point then just ease off. Never told any club members of that problem which I had as they might I have though I was just pulling excuses as to why I got dropped. Oddly enough, on the club ride the next day it had gone, perhaps too much beer Saturday afternoon and night cured it.

What surprised me though was how well I had done and chopped 6 minutes off my time from Tuesday and just clock up a minute over 4 hours. At the end I felt that I could not have done better, but looking now at all the places that I had underperformed in all my graphs and charts compared to past rides I feel that the cramp had lost me a lot of time. Even the run in from Mktt Weighton was slow, and that was with a back wind.

I think the funniest part was up near Fimber, when I saw a wheel poking out from the bushes and long grass, at first I thought someone had ploughed into the hedge, but as I got closer slowing down to help, I saw a head looking at me from deep in the bushes like a shifty illegal immigrant who had just jumped out of the back of a lorry and then saw it was someone fixing a puncture, but in reality there was no where to go as there was no edge of the road just bushes and it was the only safe place to be.

And incidently who is it from Lincoln who knows me, my partner was down town on Saturday night and she got talking to someone from Lincoln or that way on, wearing a Big G T shirt who knows me well? I see there was someone from Lincoln wheelers took part, but I do not recgonise the name

Think I might just do it again next year, and also thinking of doing the Phill Liggett challenge on 8th August 2010 now that I have found out I am not working that day.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Think I might just do it again next year, and also thinking of doing the Phill Liggett challenge on 8th August 2010 now that I have found out I am not working that day.

Well done zacklaws, that's a really quick time. Shame the cramps spoiled your enjoyment of it though.

I'm doing the Phill Liggett challenge ride (not doing it on fixed though, Winnats is too much for me with all my gears) and I'll be doing the 150km ride, as it beat me last year. I'm determined to finish it this year. Hopefully I'll do it in 12 hours, but you never know.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Also, somebody (can't remember who, sorry) was asking me about mapping on my Garmin.

Here's the link to the place on yacf where the guy who did the maps posts.

Cheers, that'll be me then :thumbsup:
Big respect for managing on the fixed, don't know how, or why :rolleyes: but a big well done
Gutted for you Bandini, hopefully it will all be sorted under warranty very soon.

I enjoyed the course this year more than last & coped far better. I'd done a little training for the hills, but not enough & surprised myself my overtaking loads of other riders on the climbs :biggrin: I was a bit more careful on the descents this year though, after my close call last year :blush:
Cant wait for next year

Top Bottom