East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

I was thinking about that time too :smile: ooh - I just realised the implication behind that statement! You saying I will be a while after you? ;)

I edited that cos I realised it seemed like I was implying a crude double entendre - which I wasn't - and then I tried to explain my real misunderstanding, and then...oh, never mind!

Hopefully see you down there on the day. I will have a red top and garish orange topped bottles on me bike! If any CCers see me, please say hello - I will probably be quite nervous and unobservant!

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh, I see! Sorry, That does sound presumptous of me - and I know now why I said it - last year, Helen and I did the short course, so we finished first, and waited for the others to come in. I was forgetting, I'm doing the 100k this year!

Save me a pie....

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I'll be wearing my CC top aswell

hopefully will be getting off early to finish before darkness.:blush:

Have manged to get 3 x 27 mile commutes in this week; though got thoughroughly soaked on monday, every bit of kit straight in the wash, shoes in the airing cupbaord to dry out & brooks saddle #1 looking a bit sorry for itslef and needs a reproof!

Swapped over the rack back to the galaxy and avoided the worst of the showerson tue & today,

was not looking forward to a wet saturday with my (un)shower-proof jackets being rubbish! & the option of the waterproof being too hot, the forecast looks kinder now!

Having a rest day tomorrow, the plan is to carb load with fish and chips for tea (workrd for FNRttC) and then watch the crit in Beverley on the night.

Hopefully see folks after the race, pardon me in advance if I can't speak, though someone save me a veggie pastie :smile:

Bandini

I biked about 130 miles Fri/Sat/Sun (biked from Bev to a festival at Wold Top, biked to the coast on Saturday, then back on Sunday) but I haven't done anything since because my bike was in for a service. They said it would be Wednesday at the latest but I only got it back today and I was busy this evening. Grrr. Don't really want to go out the evening before either, so will be a bit 'cold'.

Is everybody up for a half eight-ish start? I hope to be there but may be be a bit later (I am absolutely knackered and don't want to rush about, so it depends on how many times I hit snooze - sure the buzz of the day will kick in when I wake!) so if I miss everyone, see you at the pies?

zacklaws

Guru
I hope the wind drops a bit. It's fairly fierce up here today.

I don't like wind.

Its supposed to calm down a bit this evening, and tomorrow is forecast about 13 mph SW, which means it may be hard at the top of the course when you turn into the wind for about 14 miles, but we may be lucky and be shielded by the winds or totally opposite if its funneled down the valleys around Thixendale. The route between Huggate and Mkt Weighton, 12.5 miles could also be head wind, but as its only about 13 mph wind should be not much of a problem, and also its mainly downhill that section, apart from the hill just after Warter and also Nunburnholme hill. Other than that a SW is not bad on this course and will help on the run in home from Mkt Weighton to Cherry Burton followed by a cross wind for the last part from Cherry Burton for about 3 miles to the finish.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
i'm all set now. Just fitted a new BB.
Having a ham salad for dinner, so I'll have to find suitable carb loaded meal whilst at work today :biggrin:
Hoping to get there about 8ish to book in & start around half past. See you all there

zacklaws

Guru
Just been for a quick blast out to loosen up the legs for tommorow on the first and last 8 miles of the course, its now well signposted, with the green painted arrows on the road and also now with the black arrows on a yellow background, more prominent then last year. Beware of the return route though in Cherry, when I first saw the painted markings on the road, immediatley I thought, cars can park on those, and sure enough, today there was cars parked on top of the arrows, but as its the opposite way to what we departed on at the beggining its just in reverse from what we already have done back to the finish, I was also too busy checking for moving cars on the dangerous junction to check for the Black arrows, but as its well signposted I presume they would have been there.

Despite the strong wind, I was able to do 16mph into it which I was happy with, and for the final run in, with the wind behind, it was easy to cruise along at speeds up to 28mph, and for the crosswind section from Cherry Burton, once again it was fast with speeds of 30mph downhill and 18mph to 24 mph on the flat. Just hope the wind stays as it is,as this is the best direrction

For those after a Gold on the 100k, here are some time checks to try and keep you on Tgt with 7 minutes to spare, time to get some food at the feed station and also to loose at road junctions if busy:-

From Start to Middleton - 40min 30sec
N. Dalton, last house in village - 48min 12sec (Hopefully at this point your avg speed will be well above 16mph, 18mph preferably as from here time starts to be lost due to hitting the hills)
Wetwang - 1hr 12sec
Thixendale - 1hr 55sec
Millington - 2hr 20min
Huggate - 2hr 40min
Warter - 2hr 49min
Xrds top of Nunburnholme - 3hr 16min (if you have managed to retain an avg speed of approx 16mph at this point, it should be a doddle to do it in gold time)
Mkt Weighton - 3hr 26min
Etton - 3hr 53min
Finish - 4hr 7min

Forgot to add to my earlier posts, but if anyone wants an accurate Garmin crs file of the ridden route and not from a route planner, with a time of 4hrs 7mins for an Edge or anything else, PM me and I will post one, I should be able to convert it to GPX if required. With an Edge you will have the benefit of the virtual opponent to race and also an accurate profile of all the hills

The course starts just after the start line outside the school gates and finishes past the entrance by about 40yds on the road to Beverley. (As a rule I never have the start and finish points near each other, as sometimes I find the course finishes as soon as it starts as you cross both points and that screws everything up)

zacklaws

Guru
Zack: have you thought about just enjoying the ride without worrying about the time? You seem to be forcing yourself to do something you're hating, and that's a shame. I'm out to have a good ride, test myself a little bit, and meet a few mates. Just finishing will be the goal.

Discovered why I hate this ride so much, its like one of the places you visited in your past and had a good time, you ignore the advice of never to return as it will not be the same but you do return to find it lifeless. But tomorrow it will be full of life again, with other riders all around and the course will be alive again.

Since Thursday, I've been eager as mustard to get out and get going, Thursday night I was going to fill my water bottles for tomorrow, but came to conclusion it was a bit too soon.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
:Right, i've had my fish & chips :mrpig:

re-proofing my lightweight jacket just in case, with the mixed weather forecasts :sun: :excl: :rain:

off to watch the racing in Beverley soon... it is :rain::bicycle:

see you all tomorrow :thumbsup:

zacklaws

Guru
Good luck everyone. I hope you have a great day and the feed stations are up to last year's standard:tongue:.

Thanks Helen, sooner be doing what your doing and keep it up (that sounds rude).

Good luck to everyone on the ride, I plan on being there before 0800 and set off at 0830, so hopefully I'll see everyone. I think it may be busy at 0830 as most people I have spoke too, plan on departing at 0830.

At least the wind has dropped as predicted and is in a good direction for the entire route.

Bandini

Uber disappointment.Going really good, then 30 miles in I change gear on the hill, it grinds, then my pedal won't turn. The middle ring was massively bent. Rang the repair guys, and when they got there they said that they have never seen the like - said it was a 'freak' accident. So I spent an hour watching the pissing rain and then got picked up by my girlfriend. Gutted. got to pick up my bike later. Might leave the pile of s*** there :sad:

Top Bottom