East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
hulver said:
It's an entirely ironic statement, they don't usually come in XXL. :rolleyes:

Dunno - I've seen some who must have been sporting the polka dots ironically :sad: but I don't like to throw stones here, pots and kettles coming to mind :ohmy:

Bandini

The new route is steeper than last year - might have to eat my 'going for under five/silver medal if the wind blows right' words!

zacklaws

Guru
Bandini said:
The new route is steeper than last year

Where do you get this from??? The route is basically the same as last year with the same major hills, all seven of them.

The routes longer by nearly 4 miles and slightly more climbing do do in them extra miles, but nothing has got steeper, all the hills on the route have certainly not got higher, unless Macalpine's have increased the height on some of the hills in the past few days.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tectonic shift?

It'll certainly be steeper for me - remember I only did the 60k route last year!

But N'b'holme is the worst, right? If I can do that...

zacklaws

Guru
Received my Adjoining instructions for the event this morning, if anyone does not get them, let me know and I will email them to you,

Relieved that they have took account of the extra mileage on all the routes and added an extra 15 mins to the timings, so it will be worth going for gold still and not just sauntering around to just complete it.

Oh, and if you print them out, preview them first as I found them to wide to fit on A4 and part of it is missing off the edges, so it will need rescaling to print correctly.

Sussed it out, at the bottom is a link, refering to having problems viewing the instructions, just click on the "click here" and it becomes printable

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hulver - I've PM'ed you about picking me up next week - it took me a while to find out where my messages bit was! (it's all in the bar at the top where it says 'signed in as ...."

Anyway, let me know if you get it!

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Hulver - I've PM'ed you about picking me up next week - it took me a while to find out where my messages bit was! (it's all in the bar at the top where it says 'signed in as ...."

Anyway, let me know if you get it!

I've got it, and replied.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Got 30 miles with a few hills :smile: in today, including 'Tundle Gate' went up it (first time up - my favourite down hiil) & managed with a huff and puff - useful to remind me of using the lowest gear well inadvance, though managed to avoid the inner ring (triple) so quite pleased with myself

See how many commutes I can get in next week, weather & work comitments willing

Anyone going to the race in Beverley on Friday night?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I have the joined info - 3 times!

I'm sensing one potential issue - where to put my number! No 'handlebars' as such. I'm thinking it might go on the spacebar on the front derailleur mount, or I'll just pin it onto my jersey.

Note: take safety pins!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well, I have the joined info - 3 times!

I'm sensing one potential issue - where to put my number! No 'handlebars' as such. I'm thinking it might go on the spacebar on the front derailleur mount, or I'll just pin it onto my jersey.

Note: take safety pins!
No refil at the food station if you lose your number :smile: All the more for the rest of us :smile:

Got a few good training rides in last week, but my BB is knackered now, I've managed to source another online, but dont know when it will be here :smile:

Fiona N

Veteran
I feel like I cheated as I rode the 100k route yesterday :rolleyes:
Nice route it is too although I was bemused by the amount of traffic on the cycle byway section leading to Thixendale after basically deserted roads on the earlier part of the route. All was explained when I got to Thixendale village and went a bit off route to find the pub to get a water refill. The pub must be the Sunday lunch venue of choice in these parts judging by the cars parked around it.
For me, it was definitely a ride of two parts, as they say, as my legs felt heavy from the off and there was a tearing wind so some sections, like the loop out west between South and North Dalton was a pain on the way out and great on the way back east. But generally the buffeting from the wind combined with a certain lethargy to make it all feel like hard work. The byway section was down out of the wind and much more enjoyable (the car drivers were a very nice lot too) and I had a good blether in the pub with the landlord and a lady customer while I drank a bottle of water (can't do beer and cycling, sadly). After that the hill out of town seemed OK and I felt generally better all round and really enjoyed the second half of the ride. Even Nurburnholme wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting and then I had a rather nice tail wind blowing me back towards Beverley.

So looking forwards to next Saturday - I should be there for the racing on Friday too

zacklaws

Guru
I feel like I cheated as I rode the 100k route yesterday :rolleyes:

So looking forwards to next Saturday - I should be there for the racing on Friday too

Don't feel cheated about doing it, at least you now know it and wont take a wrong turn like some did last year, I've done it that many times I hate the route, trying to pick up the enthusiasm to do it tommorow for a quick run out. Drove part of it yesterday just to look at some of the dodgier bends where the roads have been resurfaced to see if the accumulation of loose chippings have cleared as I have had some scary moments in the past few weeks on certain parts of the route. Oddly enough, I now know why cars sit behind cyclists not passing, even though you wave them through, it seems safe on a bike for them to pass you, but not much room for a car to pass when you see it from the drivers point of view.

Friday night, I'll be watching the racing but then as I have lost interest in the Big G, I have to somehow keep myself out of the pub as it could be 3 in the morning when I walk home drunk.

Noticed yesterday the road has now been painted for the course, but the markings are small and can be easily missed.

Thixendale is a strange place, I have always believed that it is a mecca for cyclists, but despite going there lots, I rarely see another cyclist.

The worst wind is a West wind on route, followed by a East wind which stops you clogging on 20+ from Londesborough if you are behind time.

Top Bottom