East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
You're more than welcome to tag along, as long as you dont mind us slowing you down, maybe Arch will be with us too, on the flat, then ahead on the downhills & lagging behind on the uphills :biggrin:

Well, it beats being behind the whole time....:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I'm just back from a 60 mile jaunt on the trike, to Pocklington and then on to the edge of the Wolds. I managed to average 11.1mph. And I did Nunburnholme.

Twice.

God, it's a pig - so many false tops. But I can get up it - not much faster than walking admittedly, but pedalled all the way.

Tell you what though. Get to the top and turn right down the Burnby Road, and you get a fantastic trike descent. The bit between the left edge and the gravel in the middle is just wide enough, and there are no really tight corners to slow you down.

37.5mph the second time I did it.:biggrin:

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I did east bank road in Sheffield last night. I'm not sure how it compares to some of the hills on the Big G. It's a mile long, and varies between 6% and 10% gradient. I had to stop a few times on the way up it.

Then I attempted a 1 in 6, but had to walk up that one.

This was on the 69" gear. I'm training on that, and hoping that the switch to the 63" will make it feel easier on the day.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Off out tomorrow for a spin, hoping to tackle Nunburnholme on the road bike to see if I can manage on the double :biggrin: If not I'll have to use another bike on the day to save embaressment & walking up hills on the sportive

zacklaws

Guru
I was out early this morning doing some of the big hills, bit of a suicidal day with dog walkers walking in front of me without looking behind, nearly had a head on collision with some tourers who were coming round a blind corner on my side of the road, and then came head to head round a 90 degree blind bend with a group racing each other, most got back onto there own side of the road apart from one half wit who was too busy looking down at his gears, on my side of the road as I hurtled down the hill braking hard, and screaming at him to look up, and his colleagues too shouting at him, only just avoided him by having to go onto the grass, and all I got from him as we passed was a "Sorry mate" as he looked up to see me, we was only about 3 or 4 wheel lengths apart before we would have collided so I was lucky to have slowed down enough, from 26mph to 11mph to dare leave the road.

Hulver, I think you will struggle on a fixed, Nunburnholme's gradient is not signposted, but I think its about 14 - 15% and just under a mile long, and comes after about 43 miles when its starting to get tiring, as for all the other hills, I cannot remember, but Nunburnholme is the worst.

And Nunburnholme on a double is hard, I just creep up on it at 4mph

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
zacklaws said:
Hulver, I think you will struggle on a fixed, Nunburnholme's gradient is not signposted, but I think its about 14 - 15% and just under a mile long, and comes after about 43 miles when its starting to get tiring, as for all the other hills, I cannot remember, but Nunburnholme is the worst.

Nunburnholme is much harder than East bank road. It's a pretty constant 10% for an entire mile. It's going to be hard work, that's true.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:

What gear is that? My lowest gear is 39 x 27, fingers crossed it's low enough :ohmy:
If I sell the Tricross, I could always upgrade the Allez to a triple :smile:

Shaun

Founder
Flippin 'eck - that's me decided then - I'm taking the Sirrus!!!

I'll have a hard enough time going up that thing as it is, never mind on a double.

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

zacklaws

Guru
Soltydog said:
What gear is that? My lowest gear is 39 x 27, fingers crossed it's low enough :tongue:
If I sell the Tricross, I could always upgrade the Allez to a triple :thumbsup:

My double is a 39 x 26.

Last year on a training ride, I knew I would not climb it, 30 miles before I got to it as I was too tired from all my previous cycling that week. When I got to the hill, I sacked it as I predicted. so I walked up to see how long it would take me. The time walking was 13 minutes, and last year it used to take me 11 minutes to cycle. Now if I'm lucky its between 7 mins 30sec and 8 mins. Now I go up on the triple, 30 x 27

If I did not have a club ride, I would have had a ride around with you up to Nunburnholme, but I cannot have a long day out anyway as I have to go to Northallerton this afternoon.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
You mean there are hills :thumbsup:

I'd better find find some :tongue:

spurn.jpg

I'd better go inland..

there it is :sad:

012565_650af095.jpg

That should do:laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm on a double on the trike - but my small chainring is quite small, at 34. Don't ask what my sprocket is.. (I'm not embarrassed by it, I don't know offhand!)

I was doing 3mph up N'b'holme - but then, I can't fall over. I vaguely timed myself the second time, took about quarter of an hour - so the same time as walking really.

Craig - I like that photo - it makes Spurn look like a balmy pacific atoll....:tongue:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well I conquered it on the double, so the sportive holds no fear now :smile:
Don't think my speed dropped below 5mph, so was quite impressed with myself. It was about 30 miles into the ride & we'd done a few hills prior & the wind was a factor too, but I'm sure it will be harder on the day :rofl:
Only time for 1 more serious training day before the Sportive :sad:

zacklaws

Guru
Arch said:
Tell you what though. Get to the top and turn right down the Burnby Road, and you get a fantastic trike descent. The bit between the left edge and the gravel in the middle is just wide enough, and there are no really tight corners to slow you down. 37.5mph the second time I did it.:rofl:

It is a good ride down into Burnby, but I find it a very odd hill, for some unknown reason, I always get a speed wobble on it every time I go down it, yet other hills whether steeper or not it does not happen, so I am always wary of it.

Well done on Nunburnholme Paul. I am limited for time now myself, so i'll probably see you all on the day now.

Top Bottom