East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
Uber disappointment.Going really good, then 30 miles in I change gear on the hill, it grinds, then my pedal won't turn. The middle ring was massively bent. Rang the repair guys, and when they got there they said that they have never seen the like - said it was a 'freak' accident. So I spent an hour watching the pissing rain and then got picked up by my girlfriend. Gutted. got to pick up my bike later. Might leave the pile of s*** there :sad:

Oh no:sad:. Is it still under warranty? You haven't had it that long have you.

col1888

Wow, few cheeky hills in this one isn't there ! For someone who rides in Lincolnshire, some of them really hurt ! Took most of them nice and easy and tried not to burn myself out, but at about 50 miles my legs stopped working. Last 13 miles was a hard slog, felt like i was treading water. To cap it all i had a slow puncture , but made it to the end. Not sure of my time will wait to find out on website. Thanks to all who passed me treading water and gave me encouragement. But i made it up Nunburnholme so i'm happy ! Only my second sportive, so it can only get easier , i hope !!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uber disappointment.Going really good, then 30 miles in I change gear on the hill, it grinds, then my pedal won't turn. The middle ring was massively bent. Rang the repair guys, and when they got there they said that they have never seen the like - said it was a 'freak' accident. So I spent an hour watching the pissing rain and then got picked up by my girlfriend. Gutted. got to pick up my bike later. Might leave the pile of s*** there :sad:

That was a real shame. I feel your disappointment. I'm sure it was a freak thing - perhaps a tiny bit of random metal fatigue (remember the days when that used to be the prime suspect whenever there was a plane crash?) or a crack, coupled with a random freak angle of the chain as you changed gear or something...

Or, you have really, really strong legs. Next year, eh?

Well, I did it! Not massively fast, I averaged 10.5mph, and my computer says 6hrs 36mins - didn't check my transponder time. I'll wait for it to come up online. Maybe they'll give me a random gold like last year... ;)

I wish I had a pound for everytime someone came past and said "well done!" "good for you!" etc. I'm sure they all thought I was disabled. I probably looked it a few times, crawling up the hills.

Got up Nunburnholme, with a gear to spare - better than my trial run - I think it helped that I stopped for a moment just after that first nasty steep bit, to talk to Hulver and the chap he was helping out with a chain splitter. Also, I drafted a rambler... :huh:

A tiny part of me wants to gloat about beating Hulver back, but I did have 17 more gears than him, and he did stop at least twice to help people with mechanicals. So his is the moral victory. And many thanks to him for the lift over and back!

Also, random moment of the ride - a Quest velomobile came past in the opposite direction. I wasn't the wierdest thing out there!

col1888

Yeah, i saw that velomobile ! Looks like fun ! There was a running event on the course at one point, some of them were acting like they owned the road. Couple of times i had to get right in to the left, some of them cheered me up though, they looked in a lot more pain than me !!!

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Well that was a good ride out. Hilly, wet and a bit windy, but fantastic anyway.

As usual, I went far to hard at the start, despite trying to take it easy. I left Arch and the other behind. I felt great. I was powering down the hills and up the other side without a problem.

I stopped about 10km in to help a guy who was trying to change a puncture with only one tyre lever. He was impressed with the speed I got his tyre off and on again with my usual three. Arch and the rest of the CycleChatters in SoltyDog's group (sorry, can't remember who else was in it) passed me. When I set off again I was flying with the tail wind and soon overtook Arch again. Couldn't resist flying up the hills.

I was on my own again for a while, and went past Bandini with his ruptured ring. The hills were starting to get a bit harder now, and I occasionally had to stop to give my legs a rest before carrying on.

Then at 50km in I ran out of water. I'd had two 750ml bottles of Go Juice, but after 3 hours I drained them both. I couldn't see a shop anywhere and it seemed like ages until the feed station.

It was ages until the feed station. About another 17km. Without water this was a struggle, and I had to walk up a portion of one hill.

Then bliss. Water, bananas and flap jack. I drank half a bottle worth, made the rest up into some more Go Juice using some powder I'd brought along, and had about 5 glasses of juice as well.

I was well stocked up for the final portion of the ride now. My legs were getting pretty spent though. I struggled with the hills out of Warter (Craigwend came flying past me with the cheary "Only 20 miles left"), and then was the big one.

This was were Arch overtook me as I was helping a chap whose chain had broken.

I made an effort and was hopefully forcing my bike up the hill as the photographer lurked, rather than bending over the bars shaking and trying not to be sick. I was determined to ride it though, and made it eventually. After stopped to admire the view several times. That view was well and truely admired by the time I was done.

Made it back after Arch, and tucked into a very welcome pie and peas.

All in all a good day, and it was good to meet some more CycleChatters.

real shame for you that bandini, we thought something must have gone wrong when there was no sign of you despite waiting a good while at the food stop. if compatible, i may have a middle ring you could have.

well done hulver, great effort that.

glad you enjoyed it arch, wish i'd had more time to poke and prod ya trike;) but on first glance over, i thought it was fantastic! i reckon the quest would have been leeW, i don't know anyone else with on in these parts.

how did you get on craigwend?

nice to meet ya fionaN :smile:

i came in at 5hrs 25mins, which is about the same as last year. had a good day though and didn't find it as hard as last year.

cheers, velocidad.

Arch

Married to Night Train
glad you enjoyed it arch, wish i'd had more time to poke and prod ya trike;) but on first glance over, i thought it was fantastic! i reckon the quest would have been leeW, i don't know anyone else with on in these parts.

Not Lee - unless he's got about 30 years older since I saw him at York Rally!

Yes, nice to see you - next time maybe you can have a go on the trike... Bright, innit?

Nice to meet Fiona too - she opened with the classic line "You must be Arch!"

Hulver - a ruptured ring sounds painful and just a little bit rude! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
yep it's super bright, but i love it.

cheers, velocidad.

You should have seen it before I swapped the boom to that white one (it was just what the Ian had in stock, second hand, with a derailleur post). That was a lot of orange!

I think the white works well, actually, with the white seat stripe and Dash logo, they all match.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hi, finished the 160 in 6:43.21 - a 'silver time' & very pleased with myself too :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

it was a bit of hell at times though; I dont know wether it was the weather... :laugh: I had my rain jacket on and off more times than (insert your own punch line from Life on Mars) ... Talk about four seasons in one day - cue music!

Or the extra eight big hills ( I only read after, the 160 has an extra eight big b******* hills compared to the 100 )

The middle third it erm 'testing' I remember some hill with a big antena on top thinking should I walk as the guy in front had just given & up & walked, but persevered on all the hiils & pleased with myself after. Though I'm mightly glad of a tripple chainset and the use early on, when on the biggest hills.

Also riding mainly 'solo' was a bit strange, I had a few short term rding buddies on occasions - one cheekily saying do you mind if I just ride in behind you for a bit; but then we got chatting & made the ride more pleasurableB).

Has a few hairy moments with some corners & saw a nasty case of 'road rash' at the bottom of one hill I was hertling down with a sharp left and newly graveled surface, luckily the bunch who came off warned me & the guy i was riding with to slow down, though he did bit of 'Lance' onto the grass verge. :sad:

Was it me or where there more punctures this year?

Think I'll probably go back to the 100k next year as it's more 'fun'

Nice to see Andy & Arch (allez allez) & meet fiona and hulver; though why did nobody mention my terrible helmet hair when I'd taken my helmet off (Vivian from the young Ones?) and we were having a (cycle)chat after?

Back home recovering now, strangely not overly hungry yet, but aching and tired.

Did I mention the weather?

"Chapeau" one and all. B)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hi, finished the 160 in 6:43.21 - a 'silver time' & very pleased with myself too :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice to see Andy & Arch (allez allez) & meet fiona and hulver; though why did nobody mention my terrible helmet hair when I'd taken my helmet off (Vivian from the young Ones?) and we were having a (cycle)chat after?

Good time! Well done! :bravo:

As for the hair - I didn't notice - I expect mine looked pretty bad after 6 hours under a damp cap!

Apologies if I wasn't overly talkative for the first few moments. Needed to get that pie down me...

I wasn't all that hungry either this evening - had a tuna mayo sandwich and half a flapjack and some cheese, and about 3 glasses of chocolate milk (someone said it was good recovery food!)

Shaun

Founder
Sounds like you all had a great time - got a text from Trev and he missed Silver by 3 mins for the 100k, but he was busy enjoying chatting with other riders so wasn't too bothered.

I'll join you all next year ... hopefully ... :biggrin:

Any photos, or were you all too busy grinding up the hills?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

HelenD123

Guru
Sounds like quite an eventful day. I love the image of Arch drafting a Rambler.

I was supposed to be doing my own version of a Grimpeur today heading round the hills of Lake Superior but had mechanicals as well. I've worn through my rear rim so have been waiting for a new wheel to be fitted.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Web address for the pics

http://www.cherrystudioevents.co.uk/group9493.html

tn_12110_14353206004c42300827771.jpg

Only the pics for North dalton so far ... (don't even remember this one)

Nunburnholme to be added soon :biggrin:

Address for result timings.

http://www.sportstimingsolutions.co.uk/results.php

Top Bottom