East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
EMAIL FROM THE NICE ORGANISER MAN.

Who's up for it this year?
(I may be fit enough by July :evil:)

First of all apologises to those riders who emailed me and didn't get a response - this email address has lain dormant since last years event - hence the very late reply in some cases

Thank you for your interest in the Big G 2010

I can confirm the Big G 3 is planned for July 17th 2010 (ignore the date published in Cycling weekly and on their website its wrong!)

I am still in the process of assembling an organising team but the event will run in a similar format to last years event with a choice of 3 routes broadly similar to last years

The event website will be updated very shortly and once BC have sorted out their online entry system entries will open. It is hoped both entry and payment will be on-line this year to try and save the mountain of paperwork associated with processing 500 paper entires

Unfortunately I cannot reserve any entries at this point in time but I will email you all again as soon as the website and entry system is due to go live

Thank you for your patience

Paul Kilvington
Event Organiser
http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I wish I could be there but I'll be thinking of you all as I cycle my way across Canada. Maybe I could find some hills and do my own Big G on the day.

For any CCers not local, this is a great weekend and worth travelling for.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Count me in! I'll have a fortnight touring in France under my belt by then, so I'll either be superfit, or knackered. I think I'll go for the 100km this year, good LEL training.

And I'd quite like to do it on the trike....

I haven't had any email from then, so can you let us know when the website is up and running?

zacklaws

Guru
Did not know what to do for a ride today, so loaded the Garmin up and did the "BIG G", I was suprised how hard it was today compared to when I did it just before Xmas but still did it in 3hrs 56min.

I thought it was headwind when I set off, got to the top part of the course heading towards Thixendale and it was still headwind, when I turned South it was still headwind, then it seemed to be headwind on the run in home from Nunburnholme and forced the pace as I was a couple of miles adrift. When I checked the weather records I found that the wind had swung round during the period of the ride and it was virtually head wind all the way and seemed to have followed me, no wonder I struggled.

One bonus though was, I never got held up at any road junction which made a change.

If anyone tries it though, be aware that the road from a few miles NW of
N Dalton for aprox 4 to 5 miles heading towards Wetwang is covered with small stones that the farmers have deposited on the road from the fields instead of the usual mud. There is a few places similar but that is the worst. I expected a puncture but must have been lucky. Its just a constant bump, bump, bump, as if you have a puncture, not pleasant.

Shaun

Founder
So, what are the distances on offer? are there any more details for the 2010 event? how do we sign-up? is the earth really round? how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

What date is it BTW - I'll have to book it with Mrs. and Ms. Admin and get a pass ... :smile:

[DOH! Just re-read the first post ... :biggrin:]

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

UPDATE E-MAIL ...

Hi all

Just a quick update as to where we are with the BIg G 2010

I had hoped that by now entries would have been open for about 4 weeks but unfortunately things have not worked out as planned as we have been let down by British Cycling.

Their on-line entry system is still not up and running so we have had to look at an alternative plan.

This is now all sorted and the event website should be amended to reflect this later this week

Entries will open as soon as the updated website goes live so

I will email everyone on this mailing list to confirm the entries have opened later as soon as it happens

Their will be no paper entries this year, but hopefully even if people don't have access to their own computer they will have access via friends or relatives and no one will lose out - its just processing paper entries takes up far too much of my time and would have put the organisation of the event in jeopardy

The route has been amended slightly from last year to remove part of the initial main road run- out and that removes two right turns.

Also a cycle lane has been installed on the busy A road at the mid-point of the 100km route which should make things a bit safer for all concerned

I rode around the top part of the 100 mile route yesterday to check out the damage to the road surfaces after the dreadful winter we experienced

I am pleased to report that the leg through Thixendale has been patched and partly resurfaced and is vastly improved

The long climb from North Dalton to Wetwang has also been marked up to have all the potholes removed which should hopefully completed soon

The really rough road from Wharram to Birdsall on the 100 mile route (which is probably the worst piece of road on the full route) has also been patched and resurfaced in places. Although it is still rough it is better than last year and certainly better than I anticipated it to be

Hanging Grimston is still covered in debris but not too many holes and its too good a climb to remove from the route

Once again apologises for the late opening of entries but hopefully all should be sorted very soon

Looking forward to receiving your entries

Kind regards

Paul Kilvington
Big G Cyclosportive 2010
Event Organ

Arch

Married to Night Train
With a fortnight of touring under my belt in June, I think I'll go for the 100km/60 miles this time. Maybe on the trike.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Bandini

I have been thinking about doing am audax, but as this starts on my doorstep I am tempted. I am not a fast rider, but I like the idea of being involved in an event.

I have a touring bike - is that 'acceptable' on this kind of ride? What kind of time will I need to do 100K in not to look like a complete arse?

Can anyone point me to a good list of rules/good info?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bandini said:
I have been thinking about doing am audax, but as this starts on my doorstep I am tempted. I am not a fast rider, but I like the idea of being involved in an event.

I have a touring bike - is that 'acceptable' on this kind of ride? What kind of time will I need to do 100K in not to look like a complete arse?

Can anyone point me to a good list of rules/good info?

I think a tourer will be fine. I did the 60k last year, on my FCR, which is set up with a rack - I'd carried my camping gear over to Beverley on it. There were a couple of folk on MTBs, and one lady on what looked like a very heavy town bike.

This year, I'm thinking I might do it on the trike. So you'll not be the oddest thing there at all!

Dunno about times - any of the guys who did the 100kk last year will know. Looking at the results from last year:

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/Cyclosportive/docs/Final Result List.pdf

Times for the 100k seem to vary between just under 4 hours and about 6 hours. There are gold, silver and bronze categories, but I can't find the ave speeds that relate to them at the moment...

I'm bronze material.

Top Bottom