Easy easy motorway quiz.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
10/10 - too easy.

But then I am sat here in the original Motorway City which is also home to Britain's shortest motorway and Britain's only right hand motorway exit ramp...;)

Preston, or Glasgow?
I thought Preston by-pass was the first motorway in the UK..
Glasgow has a right hand motorway exit from the M8 at Townhead; and more worryingly a right hand ON ramp at Charing Cross :ohmy:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He's in Coventry, suddenly he thinks he's tough :rolleyes:
That's probably due to misunderstanding the common phrase "You're in Coventry? Tough!"

Glasgow has a right hand motorway exit from the M8 at Townhead; and more worryingly a right hand ON ramp at Charing Cross :ohmy:.
The M6 exit to the A14 was on the right the last time I used it and I think the final layout is for the A14 to enter the M6 on the right, too. Maybe a bit less scary than some because there's no tight turn onto the exit road, but it's still a bit odd watching HGVs swerve across to lane 3 to keep heading for Felixstowe. The M40 leaves/joins the right lanes of the M42, too. Actually, there's a lot of these right-hand motorway exits, aren't there? :laugh:

Tim Hall

That's probably due to misunderstanding the common phrase "You're in Coventry? Tough!"

The M6 exit to the A14 was on the right the last time I used it and I think the final layout is for the A14 to enter the M6 on the right, too. Maybe a bit less scary than some because there's no tight turn onto the exit road, but it's still a bit odd watching HGVs swerve across to lane 3 to keep heading for Felixstowe. The M40 leaves/joins the right lanes of the M42, too. Actually, there's a lot of these right-hand motorway exits, aren't there? :laugh:
A21 off the M25 clockwise at J5 is another.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
9/10 - just got the M3 wrong, I thought that was slightly further east, and I guessed M31 which I don't know where that is at all!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Many of the wrong answers were non existent motorways, the M31 being one.
But it might have been.

http://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m31/

Brandane

Legendary Member
They have motorways in Scotland! You learn something new every day...
They have 2 motorways in England which are a pleasure to drive on. The M6 and the M1, northbound sides only. I always get a good feeling as I salute the flag at the border :notworthy: , and enter the land of fantastic scenery, friendly people, and accents that can be understood (Aberdeen apart).
Yes, those 5 hours or so that I occasionally spend over the border on a night shift run to Manchester or Ripon are purgatory. Always a pleasure to escape :wahhey:.

You've got to move the buckies and special brew around some how.
And the nobber tourists from the south; here to learn something about manners and culture :okay:.

subaqua

What’s the point
10/10 - too easy.

But then I am sat here in the original Motorway City which is also home to Britain's shortest motorway and Britain's only right hand motorway exit ramp...;)

Not Wholly true and depends on definition of exit ramp. Junction 5 of M25 clockwise has a right hand exit to A21 towards Sevenoaks and Hastings. the Main M25 goes left at this point. it slopes down so is a ramp but is not what you would expect at a junction.

might have to call you on the shortest Motorway too
http://motorwayarchive.ihtservices.co.uk/en/statistics/the-shortest-motorway.cfm

Last edited:
Top Bottom