Eat lead, punk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My experience is similar to others who have already posted.
I enjoyed playing with my air rifle when I was a kid, shooting at targets and old toys in the back garden. One day I had a pop at a pigeon and killed it stone dead and was sickened when I saw the consequences of what I had done, I stopped shooting for good soon after.
I'm a meat eater, and have no problem killing animals to eat, or even with farmers killing pests that are a danger to their livelihoods, but there is something about people who get enjoyment from killing for its own sake that I find really baffling.
They always dress it up as 'sport' or 'field craft' or some such cobblers, but in the end they're just pretty sad and childish.
I like to think I grew up a bit the day I killed that pigeon and started to see my fascination with guns as the childish thing it was. I just can't understand the mind of anyone who could have a similar experience and think "that was fun, I want to kill some more".
Here in the UK us humans are at the top of the food chain, but find yourself in a country where we are not so high up the food chain, and you could find you get a different outlook on how you feel about killing other animals when others out there are looking at you as a tasty snack. As to what people wear to do their killing and maiming is firstly for practical Field craft reasons, secondly to follow dress etiquette.

U

User169

Probably not. But I still wouldn't want it. Many years ago people quite often ate squirrel. There was a programme about the countryside on ITV and they had a recipe for cooking squirel.

It's sometimes on the menu at St John in Smithfield.

An ex-colleague shot a few on his dad's farm and made them into a stew. It smelled pretty gamey and I honestly couldn't face eating it!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It's sometimes on the menu at St John in Smithfield.

An ex-colleague shot a few on his dad's farm and made them into a stew. It smelled pretty gamey and I honestly couldn't face eating it!

In that case, I'm glad I never tried it.

Care to name one? Humans aren't the regular food of any animal. Humans are the top of the food chain.
Big Game, Crocodiles for a start, all like to munch on human meat if they can get it, And a human without a firearm, or other weapon is fair game. well yummy game..LOL and from the human corpses I have seen that have been munched they make a dammed good job of it.

young Ed

Veteran
Wild boar are not classed as pests in the UK - in fact, they are subject to certain legal protections.

As for elk, not seen many of the in the wild in the UK...
oops, genuine mistake on my half there. i forgot to add that the wild boar and elk and moose etc is in Sweden where they litter the place, aren't an uncommon sight and quite frankly a out right pest. they churn up the forest, lawns, and vegetable gardens for wild boar and can occasionally be dangerous if disturbed which is to be avoided. and the deer, elk and moose all graze veg patches and do mass crop damage for arable farmers and all taste lovely!
i would only shoot deer in britain out of those animals, and only if i had the contract or permission to cull them on a large estate or park etc especially under a deer culling program. and only with a suitable calibre of rifle of course

No. I mean get both. There isn't a compromise round or calibre that will do both jobs effectively. Most firearms departments won't let you put fox down as a reason for acquiring or possessing .22LR, and if they do, the code of conduct and any experienced shot would frown on the intent. Go read guntrader and put .22 for fox into the search bar. It's about using the right tool for the job. If you want to shoot rabbits, use a cheap round that has been used safely and effectively for years. If you want to shoot anything bigger, research the suitable calibres. I have forty years of field and range experience, and can hit a 5p piece at 100 yards with a .223, and guarantee a headshot on a rabbit up to 75 yards with my Rimfire. Despite my own confidence I wouldn't use a .17hmr on anything other than a perfectly still day. The expanding varmint rounds means that anything other than a headshot on a rabbit would be wasteful, and it doesn't impart enough energy to kill a fox cleanly.
so as not to confuse us and others and clog up this thread i will PM you

[QUOTE 3621625, member: 9609"]i didn't realise I was being insulting ? sorry

I was simply trying to nail down what the kick is, the pleasure, what gives the buzz in terminating another creatures life. I know from time to time it needs to be done, I've even done it myself, but just doing it for the pleasure of the kill is what I don't get. may be someone will be kind enough to explain.

another thread? but I wish to protest in this one, it be my democratic right.[/QUOTE]
one moment and i will start a new thread and link to it here
Probably not. But I still wouldn't want it. Many years ago people quite often ate squirrel. There was a programme about the countryside on ITV and they had a recipe for cooking squirel.

Big Game, Crocodiles for a start, all like to munch on human meat if they can get it, And a human without a firearm, or other weapon is fair game. well yummy game..LOL and from the human corpses I have seen that have been munched they make a dammed good job of it.
i shot a couple of squirrels once, the buggers were stone dead with one shot so skinned and gutted they were spit roasted over an open fire with meat of bone. it was OK but rabbit's nicer, more meat on a rabbit and rabbits are easier to skin/gut so i think next time a squirrel is on the receiving end i will just leave it out for the foxes
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom