Eat lead, punk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
moving to Sweden in a 10-15 year probably, maybe sooner we will see. i will shoot fox, hare and with time wild boar, deer and elk. all pests that need shooting and the wild boar, deer and elk are all delicious meets to fill the freezer with and hare isn't shabby either
no wolves or muscox on the fairly southern Swedish farm my grandad currently runs

so .223 for blowing bunnies with their guts spread all over the field and dropping foxes cleanly at a ok range? and alright with a bit of wind about?
Cheers Ed
No. I mean get both. There isn't a compromise round or calibre that will do both jobs effectively. Most firearms departments won't let you put fox down as a reason for acquiring or possessing .22LR, and if they do, the code of conduct and any experienced shot would frown on the intent. Go read guntrader and put .22 for fox into the search bar. It's about using the right tool for the job. If you want to shoot rabbits, use a cheap round that has been used safely and effectively for years. If you want to shoot anything bigger, research the suitable calibres. I have forty years of field and range experience, and can hit a 5p piece at 100 yards with a .223, and guarantee a headshot on a rabbit up to 75 yards with my Rimfire. Despite my own confidence I wouldn't use a .17hmr on anything other than a perfectly still day. The expanding varmint rounds means that anything other than a headshot on a rabbit would be wasteful, and it doesn't impart enough energy to kill a fox cleanly.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3621273, member: 9609"]I can never get my head around why some people have such a desire to kill other peoples pests - one of my best mates has a farm and he has no end of these 'useful idiots' (the farmers words) who wish to spend their own spare time and their own good money doing his dirty work. They will ask permission to shoot pigeons and crows and rabbits and spend many many hours crawling about dressed up as rambo killing stuff. So what do they get out of it ? surely it can't be the pleasure in working for a wealthy farmer for nothing. It can't be target practice because you don't need an animal for that - it can't be the skill in getting close and personal with nature as you could do that with a camera (far more challenging in many ways) - so it must be purely for the sake of killing another animal, and that is worryingly weird.

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong in the farmer shooting his own pests, I also have no problem with killing for the pot (I have even done a bit of rough shooting with said farmer, and used to go sea fishing) As a very enthusiastic meat eater I have no problems with the concept of killing for food, have helped on may occasions take livestock down to the local abattoir. It is just I don't get why people take so much pleasure out of the kill.[/QUOTE]

Because we do, and we have neither the need or the inclination to justify it to you.

This thread is for shooters, most particularly air gunners, to discuss their sport.

If you wish to go off topic or write posts with insulting comments about those who go shooting please start your own thread elsewhere.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Im lucky that I have quite a lot of land, so we can do target practice. My grandsons join in sometimes and we make a competition of it. For some reason they are better than I am. It can't possibly be because they are 40 years younger than me.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My Missus is also uncannily good. She doesn't really shoot, but if I'm plinking she often asks for a go, put 3 in the bull, then wanders off. I think it's to do with her being blind in one eye, so her working eye is used to leading. I quite strongly left eye lead, with isn't ideal .using teles.

Cubist

Still wavin'
[QUOTE 3621625, member: 9609"]i didn't realise I was being insulting ? sorry

I was simply trying to nail down what the kick is, the pleasure, what gives the buzz in terminating another creatures life. I know from time to time it needs to be done, I've even done it myself, but just doing it for the pleasure of the kill is what I don't get. may be someone will be kind enough to explain.

another thread? but I wish to protest in this one, it be my democratic right.[/QUOTE]
If you have killed things yourself, for the pot, and as you said in a previous post, gone rough shooting, then you have to realize that many, many people enjoy all things surrounding shooting. There's probabl a sliding scale of intensity, but if you accept that pests need controlling, then it's very difficult to draw a divide between the conscientious shooter, and the wanton killer. It isn't a helpful debate in any case, because the lines are blurred. It would be very hypocritical to stand up and declare that as a shooter, there's no enjoyment in the act of killing, but at the same time the way of life ( it's a hobby with justification perhaps) shooting involves far more than just killing things. Yes, there are exceptions, but the sort of people you are trying to address are very few and far between,. If pressed, I would say that bringing all my skill, my knowledge of the countryside and its inhabitants, the traditions and etiquette surrounding rural life are far more important than the actual kill. That the byproduct of rabbitting is some quality, healthy, tasty meat, is a bonus that needs to be squared with a conscience.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Because we do, and we have neither the need or the inclination to justify it to you.

This thread is for shooters, most particularly air gunners, to discuss their sport.

If you wish to go off topic or write posts with insulting comments about those who go shooting please start your own thread elsewhere.

'Eat lead, punk! ' as a thread title hardly promotes air gun use as a sport undertaken by those of sound mind.

Anything addressing air gun use is on topic even though it might be counter to your views. Besides if there was an antil air rifle thread started, I think that you'd make your presence known. You can't have it both ways.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The topic was requesting that air weapon users identify themselves for the purpose of discussion among themselves about the sport.

At no point did I as the OP invite discussion about matters peripheral to the topic.

I'm not against peoples.views if they're not.into it, but this thread is not intended as a platform for that particular discussion.

The topic was requesting that air weapon users identify themselves for the purpose of discussion among themselves about the sport.

At no point did I as the OP invite discussion about matters peripheral to the topic.

I'm not against peoples.views if they're not.into it, but this thread is not intended as a platform for that particular discussion.
Does the OP ever get to dictate what is and isn't allowed in a thread on CC?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

You're not backward in foisting your uninvited and puerile views on Carol Vorderman in unrelated threads so why should anyone take any notice of your rules of engagement?

https://www.cyclechat.net/search/5439229/?q=vorderman&o=relevance&c[user][0]=22751

There is something wrong with killing anything for fun. I eat meat, plenty of it. Not a great animal fan. Also I see the need for pest control. But to turn it into a sport is wrong. I dislike fox hunting, I dislike shooting animals for sport.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
My experience is similar to others who have already posted.
I enjoyed playing with my air rifle when I was a kid, shooting at targets and old toys in the back garden. One day I had a pop at a pigeon and killed it stone dead and was sickened when I saw the consequences of what I had done, I stopped shooting for good soon after.
I'm a meat eater, and have no problem killing animals to eat, or even with farmers killing pests that are a danger to their livelihoods, but there is something about people who get enjoyment from killing for its own sake that I find really baffling.
They always dress it up as 'sport' or 'field craft' or some such cobblers, but in the end they're just pretty sad and childish.
I like to think I grew up a bit the day I killed that pigeon and started to see my fascination with guns as the childish thing it was. I just can't understand the mind of anyone who could have a similar experience and think "that was fun, I want to kill some more".

Top Bottom