Eat lead, punk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yeah, chavs, eh!

:laugh: not around here. Only farmers, but there is a problem with mink.

Being of a certain age, when kids could roam across the countryside, carrying all sorts of firearms ranging from Gat guns to what then was the top of the range BSA airsporter. in our little group most of us had 410 shotguns as well, without anyone getting excited about it, we got paid one shilling to kill grey squirrels we just handed in the tail to our local policeman, who paid out the money. Often when heading home with a few bunnies we had killed for the cooking pot, that was before Mixi hit the bunny population, our local policeman would apprehend some from us to keep him sweet, so he would turn a blind eye to some of our mischief.
Indeed in the village most families has air rifles or shotguns, as this was shortly after the WWW2 and food in the shops was still scarce, Even cats become rabbit once they were skinned..LOL

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I have no trouble taking rabbits with instant, clean, single shot kills out to about 35M with RWS superpoint extras. It's perfectly feasible, IF you can shoot straight. But rabbit is the largest game one should attempt with a non FAC air weapon, with the exception of burglars.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Away from air rifles, a lot of people in my area shoot deer, but a white tail deer is but a bit smaller than a heifer, and can feed a family for a great many meals.My father always believed you shouldn't kill anything you weren't going to eat.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mainly Feral and wood pigeons. I get the thrill of testing my marksmanship, the farmer gets the benefit of a damaged causing crop depleting pest.being minimised. They're vermin, both in the damage they do and the legal sense.

It.isn't for everyone and I respect the fact that some folk are happier taking targets. To be fair the bulk of my shooting is the latter.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Holy Cameron! How the Hell did he manage that?

ricochet off a tree.only a .177 webley pistol too but it done the job..horrible day ,

I love airguns, mercury and a meteor back in the 70,s 80,s etc and I had a sheringham blue flash pump gun with .3 steel pelets..poor acuracy but incredible power, sold that for a hanal or something that my son has now.
got into clay shooting but having a shotgun is something I dont want,I get a bit cranky lol

winjim

Smash the cistern
13915513508170.jpg

Anyone remember my old avatar? Picture of the sign opposite the local shooting club.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Used to have a nice .22 Weihrauch HW80K spring rifle. With a scope it was ideal for rabbits.
My dad taught me to shoot when I was a nipper, starting on paper or metal targets. Wouldn't let me hunt till I could pretty much guarantee a single shot kill.

I've never killed anything for "fun". Whatever I shot got eaten. I assume anyone unable/unwilling to kill their own food is happy as a vegetarian?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I only ever shot a bird once and it shamed me so much that I never did it again. It pains me even now, 45 years later. Mostly I shot at old cans and Airfix models.

I'm the same. I confess to shooting a bird(I think it was a blue tit)when i was about 13. I was only about 12 ft away from it i couldn't miss. I'm not making excuses but i was urged to do it by the rest of the gang. I still think about it,and if any good came from it it was that i decided from that day to never commit such an act again. My dad told me that he shot a rabbit when he was the same age,and it put him off air rifles for life.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Holy Sturgeon Mother of Milliband! That looks like bear shot on the right!
Do bears shoot in the woods?

Is it just me who is slightly disturbed by this thread, and finds it a bit easier to cope with by mentally reversing the cyclechat swear filter?

Top Bottom