Eat lead, punk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is it just me who is slightly disturbed by this thread,

Probably.

young Ed

Veteran
Haha!

Thats nothing. As well as shooting gat guns, we used to throw darts and knives at each other : one stands in front of a dart board, the other tries to hit the dart board.

We didn't get any serious injuries. One dart in the face, and a high kick that brained my buddy, but it was all a bit of a laugh.

The knife catching game was probably a bit daft too.

Oh, the memories. I'd forgotten all about that stuff - cheers!
my dads mate and his brothers and mates etc as kids all had terribly under powered air rifles that were hardly more than an air soft, BB gun so sat on the drive for hours shooting at the sides of steel container etc lorries and they would just ping off. and when they got bored of that they would run about shooting each other, pellets never punctured skin or only small cuts, stupid but they never got too badly injured :smile:

Read up on BASC code of conduct. .17 HMR is not a suitable round for fox. .22 centre fire minimum.

And I'm afraid it's badly wind affected. You'd be much better off with a rim fire .22 and some skills.
thanks, will have a look out the BASC code. so you reckon a .22 RF will take a fox but not a .17 HMR? doesn't sound right to me, i know those that shoot fox with both but .17 HMR just has that bit more range
either that or i go for a bigger bore like a .223 or .224 which would destroy rabbits well beyond eating but drop a fox happily
[QUOTE 3619351, member: 9609"]too many brain dead morons can't resist the moving target of a bird - all guns need to be taken out of society, and if anyone ain't happy with that then they can piss off to yankyville where they like shooting the feck out of everything, including each other.[/QUOTE]
won't shoot at a bird until i have a shotgun and then only pigeons, crows, etc. only pests
i don't shoot anything and everything that moves, i do at the very least support or agree with the shooting of the following:
pigeons
crows
pheasant (at least when born and raised and shot for sport which is one i partake in my self)
rabbits
squirrels
foxes
rats
mice
deer
elk
wild boar
hare

there is probably more but they are what came off the top of my head, notice how they are almost all pests? in fact would go as far as to say they all are! coincidence that i also happen to agree with the shooting of them all, i think not.
I reckon you'd be better off leaving the fox alone. Rabbits, maybe, at a push if they're sick, but not for sport.
i want to shoot foxes more than anything else right now, a big time pest that needs controlling

what i think many fail to think about is that whilst i might shoot 100 or a couple of hundred rabbits a year and when i get a rifle i probably won't shoot even 100 foxes a year, this is hardly a dent in the rabbit population of literally thousands round here and the same with foxes, there are hundreds and my bag won't make a huge difference
what it will do though is make a big difference for me in the number of pests i have and generally you will have only a few foxes that are persistent and keep coming back so this would enable me to deal with those

and as i always say, the main reason i shoot is pest control. yes i also enjoy it but then again i think most people that shoot for pest control enjoy it as well
Cheers Ed

Cubist

Still wavin'
my dads mate and his brothers and mates etc as kids all had terribly under powered air rifles that were hardly more than an air soft, BB gun so sat on the drive for hours shooting at the sides of steel container etc lorries and they would just ping off. and when they got bored of that they would run about shooting each other, pellets never punctured skin or only small cuts, stupid but they never got too badly injured :smile:

thanks, will have a look out the BASC code. so you reckon a .22 RF will take a fox but not a .17 HMR? doesn't sound right to me, i know those that shoot fox with both but .17 HMR just has that bit more range
either that or i go for a bigger bore like a .223 or .224 which would destroy rabbits well beyond eating but drop a fox happily

won't shoot at a bird until i have a shotgun and then only pigeons, crows, etc. only pests
i don't shoot anything and everything that moves, i do at the very least support or agree with the shooting of the following:
pigeons
crows
pheasant (at least when born and raised and shot for sport which is one i partake in my self)
rabbits
squirrels
foxes
rats
mice
deer
elk
wild boar
hare

there is probably more but they are what came off the top of my head, notice how they are almost all pests? in fact would go as far as to say they all are! coincidence that i also happen to agree with the shooting of them all, i think not.

i want to shoot foxes more than anything else right now, a big time pest that needs controlling

what i think many fail to think about is that whilst i might shoot 100 or a couple of hundred rabbits a year and when i get a rifle i probably won't shoot even 100 foxes a year, this is hardly a dent in the rabbit population of literally thousands round here and the same with foxes, there are hundreds and my bag won't make a huge difference
what it will do though is make a big difference for me in the number of pests i have and generally you will have only a few foxes that are persistent and keep coming back so this would enable me to deal with those

and as i always say, the main reason i shoot is pest control. yes i also enjoy it but then again i think most people that shoot for pest control enjoy it as well
Cheers Ed
No, I meant get a Rimfire for bunnies. In the right hands they're effective up to 75 or even 100 y yars, but not enough for a clean kill on a fox. For that you need at least a .22winmag, but a .223 would be my choice, good, fast, flat shooting.

I've used a 17 HMR, anand apart from anything else they do too much damage to a rabbit, unless you can be sure of a headshot. A breath of wind will seriously reduce accuracy, so only any good on a windless day. I was very disappointed with them, I wanted to like them, but ended up tuning the trigger on the Rimfire instead.

young Ed

Veteran
Too bad we can't control the pests amongst the human population just as easily by someone who justifiably appoints themselves.

Good job you don't live in Scandinavia or you'd want to shoot the wolves and musk ox, too.
moving to Sweden in a 10-15 year probably, maybe sooner we will see. i will shoot fox, hare and with time wild boar, deer and elk. all pests that need shooting and the wild boar, deer and elk are all delicious meets to fill the freezer with and hare isn't shabby either
no wolves or muscox on the fairly southern Swedish farm my grandad currently runs
No, I meant get a Rimfire for bunnies. In the right hands they're effective up to 75 or even 100 y yars, but not enough for a clean kill on a fox. For that you need at least a .22winmag, but a .223 would be my choice, good, fast, flat shooting.

I've used a 17 HMR, anand apart from anything else they do too much damage to a rabbit, unless you can be sure of a headshot. A breath of wind will seriously reduce accuracy, so only any good on a windless day. I was very disappointed with them, I wanted to like them, but ended up tuning the trigger on the Rimfire instead.
so .223 for blowing bunnies with their guts spread all over the field and dropping foxes cleanly at a ok range? and alright with a bit of wind about?
Cheers Ed

Are they a nuisance or does the population require controlling?

No, not a nuisance. They were actually introduced into Norway at the beginning of the last century and they have thrived. There is an expansive area for them to roam and there is no need to cull them, AFAIK.

They are massive creatures: https://www.google.no/search?q=how+...ei=pBEbVdrXEY-zab2XgegJ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1

I never have gotten my head around why some peeps get so excited about killing vermin, and indeed none vermin, when they will happily eat meat. Then some one told me that its ok to eat meat, as the stuff we buy for consumption is in Plastic bags and is made in a factory. Which left me a tad bemused, as I had worked in an abattoir, and what went in one end was most differently an animal, and what went out the other end still looked like animal. just a tad dead.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I never have gotten my head around why some peeps get so excited about killing vermin, and indeed none vermin, when they will happily eat meat. Then some one told me that its ok to eat meat, as the stuff we buy for consumption is in Plastic bags and is made in a factory. Which left me a tad bemused, as I had worked in an abattoir, and what went in one end was most differently an animal, and what went out the other end still looked like animal. just a tad dead.

Humans feel the need to eat meat as we are carnivores. I eat as little meat as possible,and i wish somehow it grew on trees and didn't require killing but it does. There is a difference between killing for food and killing for pleasure,or pest control as some call it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 3621273, member: 9609"]It is just I don't get why people take so much pleasure out of the kill.[/QUOTE]
Even after reading this thread?

Top Bottom