Eat lead, punk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Did you mean to say she always helps you shoot straight?
no, she's just got to hold his weapon beore he shhots

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Very dear friend of mine passed away a couple years a go, he left me his BSA Superstar which he bought many moons a go, never used it after shooting a couple shots when it arrived. He did buy a scope for it.
I would like to get more involved I guess, I'm a pretty good shot if I say so myself. v

DSC_0048_zpsaodnlwom.jpg
DSC_0053_zpshmvjjqli.jpg
DSC_0052_zpsmn9y4moa.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a Crossman rifle and a Crossman pistol. I haven't fired them in years. I used to go down the local brook and fire at beer cans. I would never shoot at birds or animals,i just enjoyed the feel of hitting the cans from a fair distance and seeing them holed afterwards. I gave it up when i got too much hassle off a local converted barn owner merchant,he phoned the police they were ok but i got the message that firing air rifles in public places(no matter how remote)is now frowned upon..When we were kids many had air rifles and sheath knives around here as we're surrounded by fields.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm quite happy to shoot bird, but only the ones the law.says what we can. And bunnies. And rats. This isn't a thread for people to moan about shooting, but a thread for shooters, particularly airgunners, to discuss the sport. Anyone don't like that they can F off to yankyville where I hear they're particularly welcoming to commie cuddlers.

When I'm at the range I usually.wear my.ghillie mankini. Style.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a .177 calibre air pistol when I was a teenager.

It was spring loaded, you pressed the barrel in to cock it.

We used pellets, and also darts, which you could use more than once on a paper/board target.

Next was a .22 air rifle which had a telescopic sight.

Couldn't hit a barn door with it, it was second hand and I suspect not right.

Moved on to shotguns.

We lived on a farm and had a .410 and a side by side double barrel 12 bore.

My shooting career didn't last long at this level.

Truth is I didn't like the noise, recoil and general feel of serious weaponry.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It much the same here when I pitch up at the range with my.Chinese rifle and manage a better grouping than the snotty git with his £800 Air.Arms. End of the day it's lead on target that matters.
Weekend wannabes with expensive equipment they'll never use to its full potential? Sounds familiar...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to have a Diana .177, which I loved; we lived in the country and had a huge garden so I really got a lot of fun out of that rifle. I got to be a pretty good shot so I'd quite like to take up shooting again.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I used to have a Diana .177, which I loved; we lived in the country and had a huge garden so I really got a lot of fun out of that rifle. I got to be a pretty good shot so I'd quite like to take up shooting again.

A quality .177 air rifle is known to be a good poacher's weapon because the quarry can be brought down in relative silence.

The poacher does need to be an excellent shot to bag anything big enough to eat.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Weekend wannabes with expensive equipment they'll never use to its full potential? Sounds familiar...

Indeed! The irony is that some of the gear from the 'quality' manufacturers, including Air Arms themselves, is now made in China as well.programming a CNC machine isn't so difficult that only a Westerner can do it.

.177, depending on the ammo, can travel at tremendous velocity and gives a flatter trajectory due to the lesser mass of the round. The issue is they're not so good at imparting that energy to the target and can often drill straight through, leaving dinner enough time to run off before it dies. 22 has much better dropping power but suffers in other ways, even with lighter ammo. 20 caliber is very slowly emerging as an effective compromise for hunting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom