Eating Chilli's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Eat MY Dust said:
Chilli's from the mexicans I can chew away on no problem. It's the one's in the Thai restuarants that get me. I bit into one that was in my soup, next thing I know theres snot pouring out of my nose, eyes watering so much I couldn't see anything. It was so bad I had to go home!!
That also happened to me at a Thai Restuarant in Hong Kong, my night was also ruined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyuss

Veteran
My brother had a grow your own chili kit last year and made some stuffed peppers with them. Bloody nice they were too. Not sure what variety they were but they didn't seem that hot, but by god did they rot me from the inside out. My arse looked like the flag of Japan for about a week. Trips to the toilet were like dabbing at a bullet wound.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i don't know where to start on this thread.

annuums from the thais and supermakets are indeed nasty

habs/capsicum chinenses are what you want for a long, sweet burn. nagas/jalokias are a bit too extreme, IMHO

here's one weeks crop from my 8mx4m polytunnel

PICT0057.jpg

Scotch bonnet. I put one in a saltfish stew I made once. I left it simmering very gently while we all went to the pub. When we came back after many Stellas, it was tasty but far too hot to eat even while pissed. I managed about a third of mine. Trouble was, it was just as hot coming back up the next morning. Not an experience I'd care to repeat.:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Haven't some scientists just discovered the new hottest chilli in the world, ever? I seem to remember reading something in the papers to that effect a month or two back. I wonder if it's on the market yet?

Pete

hubgearfreak said:
here's one weeks crop from my 8mx4m polytunnel
Superb result, HGF! ... though I don't quite see how you get through all those in a week! :biggrin::ohmy:xx( In fact we're quite sparing in our chilli usage, though when I do want hot, I mean HOT!!! Scotch bonnets (of which Habanero is just one variety - there is a bewildering range of different cultivars of capsicum, more than any other edible plant I believe) impart a more earthy, drier sort of flavour to the dish than the more usual pointy (serrano) chillies. Difficult to describe in words but after a while you tend to recognise the flavours of the main types.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Pete said:
Superb result, HGF! ... though I don't quite see how you get through all those in a week! :biggrin::ohmy:xx( In fact we're quite sparing in our chilli usage, though when I do want hot, I mean HOT!!! Scotch bonnets (of which Habanero is just one variety - there is a bewildering range of different cultivars of capsicum, more than any other edible plant I believe) impart a more earthy, drier sort of flavour to the dish than the more usual pointy (serrano) chillies. Difficult to describe in words but after a while you tend to recognise the flavours of the main types.

That is not reassuring. I've just been looking at a recipe for Sheekh Kebab which requires capsicum. How on earth do I find out which kind?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Bastard Lamb:

1kg lamb cutlets
2tbs Mr Naga Naga chilli sauce
1 head garlic, crushed and chopped
1 thumb fresh ginger, crushed and chopped
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 pint plain yog.

Tenderise the lamb, coat with the other ingredients mixed up, then leave in the fridge overnight.

Grill under high heat or hot chappati pan until blackened on the outside- serve with plain rice and a mango lassi. Keep chilled bog roll to hand afterwards.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
rustychisel said:
Thai Birdseye chilis.;)

You lot need to harden the **** up!!

they're not only horribly sour, but they're considerably weaker than habs

alecstilleyedye said:
i've seen dave's insanity sauce burn through polystyrene. a mere drop can render a chilli con carne almost inedible.

it's disgusting though isn't it? i've tried some things with extract in and always found the keratones to overwhelm the natural chilli flavours, as well as have a profoundly unpleaseant effect upon my bowelsxx(

Top Bottom