Eating for your blood type - scientifically sound or a fad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

I've read quite a bit lately about what foods you should and shouldn't eat, according to blood type. Many of the recommended things I eat anyway, but some of the things I'm advised to avoid are favourites. Anyone have experience of following this kind of regime - and does anyone know if it has a sound basis in science?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like twaddle - where did you read about it? That said a 10 second Google search throws up a bunch of hits for you to research.

Apparently I should avoid meat and have lots of carbs...which I have done completely for the last 3+ years so that's good :laugh:

Apparently some American naturopath (not a medically trained doctor) came up with it, so that would make me sceptical from the outset

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd not heard of it. It sounds utterly bonkers, and Wiki confirms that there's no evidence for it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet

However, it depends what foods it recommends. For instance my wife advocates eating foods of many different colours each day, which sounds a bit faddy. This isn't due to some inherent benefit of different coloured food - what it does is keeps you eating a variety of different veg. The colours are a kind of fun mnemonic.

So if it recommends that A+ readers eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and A- eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit then it could be good. Anything that causes you to pay more attention to your diet can have benefits even if its underlying basis is nuts. (Oh hazel nuts)

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've read quite a bit lately about what foods you should and shouldn't eat, according to blood type. Many of the recommended things I eat anyway, but some of the things I'm advised to avoid are favourites. Anyone have experience of following this kind of regime - and does anyone know if it has a sound basis in science?

IMG_3877.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is there a track record of published scientific research, supported by peer-reviewed journals and written by appropriately qualified medical / scientific researchers?

Nope. Then it's a load of rubbish.

That's me politely paraphrasing SWMBO, who's a Registered Dietitian and a Registered Nutritionist with 30+ years of experience.

cheys03

Veteran
It’s rubbish, bred on statistical mis-representation. Type O (the majority in UK/N. America) should eat lots of non-starchy veg and meats to lose weight apparently, avoiding grains and dairy.

Convenient that the largest blood group in that geography also has arguably the most sensible diet for losing weight.

presta

Guru
In a world full of people looking for easy answers, there's never any shortage of people making a fortune out of selling them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
almost as bad as something i read on another cycling group
if your steady state riding if you heart rate varies its down to if you need food or drink depending on which way it goes .
99.99% of the population dont even work hard enough to get to a state of energy deficit let alone affecting your heart rate

I would suspect a scam to make money for the author of it.

Top Bottom