Eating out of date food. Do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I finished off a 16 year old bottle of Glenfiddich once. That made me pretty ill.

Not food but drink.

A 1983 Côtes du Meanwood single estate elderberry wine..

View attachment 85562 View attachment 85563

A very nice bouquet, hints of blackcurrent, cedar and vanilla. Tanin just makes its presence felt. I'm now craving a large steak to go with it.

16 years old?? 1983?? PAH! I have have whisky from 1966 before and am still here!!

Oh, no, wait. :giggle:

I never take risks with shellfish. A dodgy meal in Corsica before a budget flight home left a very long-lasting impression.

The dodgy meal wasn't too great either!!

Most things you can use the smell test. I'd be more cautious with fish though.

It is all down to common sense, I am cautious with fish, but then again, I have eaten Salmon Pate that was several days out of date before. Never did me any harm (I imagine the other ingredients helped keep it though).

I know someone who is fanatical about use by dates. They will eat something the day before the use by, but throw it away on its use by date. I'm not sure what they would do if they were mid way through it at midnight. I guess spit it out!

Ah yes, the old dilemma, 'do you swallow or spit?' as I'm sure Mrs Goodbody can relate too, eh @Fnaar?

Seriously though, the person in the post sounds like a right flump!!

And when the infection becomes chronic cellulitis the pain is unbearable and I spent five days in hospital being treated with industrial strength antibiotics delivered intravenously accompanied with anti coagulant injections.

I got Cellulitis in my face after cutting myself on a shopping trolley as an 18 month old, causing my brain damage.

The moral of this story?? Don't eat headbutt shopping trolleys!! :blush:

[QUOTE 3642757, member: 76"]When I was in the Army I had a ration pack with a Mars bar that had an eat by date in the mid/late 70s, I got issued it around 1988! It looked a bit white, but it tasted ok.[/QUOTE]

When I was in the BBs (much tougher than the Army! :laugh:), they used to have a tuck shop and would sell seriously out of date sweets and crisps (they clearly were trying to get their monies worth). It never did us any harm, but I doubt they could get away with that now.

For those who insist in smelling their food for assessing safety to eat:
Bacteria are one of the most common causes of food poisoning. Unlike food spoilage bacteria, food poisoning
bacteria do not affect the taste, smell or look of food

Source
:hello:

Spoil sport! :headshake::laugh:

Basically, I just use a bit of common sense about it all.

Last edited:
Not food but drink.

A 1983 Côtes du Meanwood single estate elderberry wine..

View attachment 85562 View attachment 85563

A very nice bouquet, hints of blackcurrent, cedar and vanilla. Tanin just makes its presence felt. I'm now craving a large steak to go with it.
Subtle and subliminal, but you forgot to put your link to Pact coffee in your post ;-)

I've eaten pasta with weevils. Extra protein.
We use sealable containers for flour now due to having to bin flour when my wife found weevils in it.
I decided it was best not to tell her about the previous days pizza bases.

Whats the thing with meat anyway? M&S sell 21 day aged steaks (and very nice they are too) then have a date put on them, game birds are hung for flavour. A guy I knew a few years ago left his hanging for a long time, as in it being ready when it fell to the floor as the head had come off. Urgh.

Jason.T

I've eaten marmite that was 4 years out of date, although I didn't know until after I'd eaten it

I have a friend that will not touch anything at all that's past its date, we were on a night shift a while back and he had some milk for his coffee, on deciding to have a another cup during the break he would not use the milk for the second cup because the clock had past midnight so the milk was out of date, as you can imagine he has the pi$$ taken out of him for being such a girl

We use sealable containers for flour now due to having to bin flour when my wife found weevils in it.
I decided it was best not to tell her about the previous days pizza bases.

Whats the thing with meat anyway? M&S sell 21 day aged steaks (and very nice they are too) then have a date put on them, game birds are hung for flavour. A guy I knew a few years ago left his hanging for a long time, as in it being ready when it fell to the floor as the head had come off. Urgh.
Weavils come not from without, but from within, I'm convinced. I think their eggs are in the flour by default. No matter how airtight that container is, after a while weavils appear.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I
Weavils come not from without, but from within, I'm convinced. I think their eggs are in the flour by default. No matter how airtight that container is, after a while weavils appear.
think that depends on if your flour contained them in the first place. I keep mine in plastic containers too. I haven't had a problem with them for years but you need to buy your flour from somewhere that has a decent turn over, if you run out and buy the pack that has sat in the corner shop for the last two years your doomed!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Choose the lesser of two weevils :smile:

Top Bottom