eating raw chicken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

probably a good idea - they'll think you're trying to poison them.

BJB said:
Jonathon - seriously, you should report the takeaway to the local EH department.

I suppose, because someone else might come off worse next time... especially if elderly etc..

I remember, well... me and Tapey that is, getting a pork chop n'chips at the Students U. cafeteria once - and the chop was still frozen in the middle...:blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I ate sushi in Lagos and survived.

bonj2

Hmm... simple answer is, you'll be fine. Reasons:
1) People only tell horror stories about getting salmonella from raw chicken because someone once did - it was probably blown out of all proportion by the media at the time and since then everyone thinks that if you eat raw chicken you definitely will get it - but the truth is that it's very unlikely.
2) Salmonella is probably not actually that bad - just like a tummy bug, you may feel nauseous and headachey for a bit and maybe even be sick a few times but it's not going to kill you or anything like that. Although, if you're the sort of person who takes drugs from the doctor at the drop of a hat your body's antibodies will be fairly lazy and it will probably be worse and last longer than someone like, say, me, who's got a strong immune system.
3) The amount of genetic modification chickens have gone through since the 80s or whenever, salmonella probably wouldn't have survived through it all anyway so it's highly likely that it doesn't exist now anyway. GM is at an enforced fast pace, so natural evolution (of salmonella to cope with new style chickens) wouldn't be able to keep up with it (although it probably kept up for a while, as viruses being small and nimble are probably fairly versatile in that way)

But, your question does raise more questions, like Canrider says - why do you not know whether you ate 1.5 or 0.5 chickens? And if you noticed it was raw while you were still eating it, why did you continue eating it? (if you're presumably of the opinion that it's harmful) - and if you didn't notice it was raw, how do you know now?

I personally think that you ate a normally-cooked chicken meal, and are angling for compo/another free meal and are just looking for ideas to take back to the kebab shop to make your claim look authentic.

Brock

If you are ill you'll have to consider the possibility that you've developed a peanut allergy.

asterix

Comrade Member
bonj said:
Hmm... simple answer is, you'll be fine. Reasons:
1) People only tell horror stories about getting salmonella from raw chicken because someone once did - it was probably blown out of all proportion by the media at the time and since then everyone thinks that if you eat raw chicken you definitely will get it - but the truth is that it's very unlikely.
2) Salmonella is probably not actually that bad - just like a tummy bug, you may feel nauseous and headachey for a bit and maybe even be sick a few times but it's not going to kill you or anything like that. Although, if you're the sort of person who takes drugs from the doctor at the drop of a hat your body's antibodies will be fairly lazy and it will probably be worse and last longer than someone like, say, me, who's got a strong immune system.
3) The amount of genetic modification chickens have gone through since the 80s or whenever, salmonella probably wouldn't have survived through it all anyway so it's highly likely that it doesn't exist now anyway. GM is at an enforced fast pace, so natural evolution (of salmonella to cope with new style chickens) wouldn't be able to keep up with it (although it probably kept up for a while, as viruses being small and nimble are probably fairly versatile in that way)

But, your question does raise more questions, like Canrider says - why do you not know whether you ate 1.5 or 0.5 chickens? And if you noticed it was raw while you were still eating it, why did you continue eating it? (if you're presumably of the opinion that it's harmful) - and if you didn't notice it was raw, how do you know now?

I personally think that you ate a normally-cooked chicken meal, and are angling for compo/another free meal and are just looking for ideas to take back to the kebab shop to make your claim look authentic.

What I don't understand is why you don't get chickenella from raw salmon??

U

User169

bonj said:

For sheer pottiness, this really would take some beating.

It's rather reminiscent of the Alan Partridge rant in the episode where he's interviewing a farmer...

Top Bottom