Eating to commute ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Porridge with a large spoon of syrup.... I challenge anyone not to like it.

I prefer porridge with a large spoon of honey, but having said that, got some golden syrup kicking about somewhere :whistle:

paul04

Über Member
The OP does not say how far they commute to work?
for my breakfast I just have a bowl of cereal (have 4 or 5 different cereal's in the cupboard so can have something different each day)
And that does me till about 10am, then have a banana or a apple.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Forget the carbs, that just turns to sugar stored as fat. Go low carb high fat, burn fat for fuel and lose weight at the same time. Google lchf for loads of good info.

vickster

Legendary Member
Porridge with or without fruit before. Chocolate milk and banana when you get in if still hungry?

What do you eat through the day at the moment? If you have breakfast, 20 miles really shouldn't leave you starving

screenman

Legendary Member
Shows how bad your addiction to rubbish food is once you start seeing quality as bland. Not aimed at the OP but people in general.

One slice of egg fried bread sets me up well for a 2k swim most mornings followed by an apple straight afterwards, then a small salad for lunch 4 hours later.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
At the moment, 2 slices of toast and coffee then commute.

Then porridge (ideally) or cereal bar about 9.

At 11, probably another cereal bar or Snack a Jack or something.

Lunch is whatever I get from canteen - was steak pie on Friday. Not ideal.

In the afternoon I am very hungry, in fact from about 11 onwards I'm hungry.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I recognise that is a crap diet, so it's not wholly necessary to tell me cereal bars are crap. That boat has sailed. It's the alternatives I'm looking for.

screenman

Legendary Member

You are hungry because what you are eating is giving you that message. Does the canteen not do a healthy option, and drop anything sugary as that will make you feel hungrier.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's a lot and a lot of sugar and carbs. Replace toast with porridge? Replace porridge and cereal bar with a couple of bits of fruit (or make your own flapjacks for example, at least then you know what's in there). Lose the elevensees sugar hit and have a cup of tea. If hungry, maybe a handful of dried nuts or fruit. Then lunch - the steak pie in itself shouldn't be an issue but have veg not chips/spud. Something mid afternoon if really needed. Ride home. Have a reasonable dinner

Drink lots of water - perhaps hunger is actually thirst?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Seriously, you are eating too many carbs, getting the highs and lows that go with it. It doesn't matter if they are complex carbs or not, either is too many. Use fat for fuel, that way you will lose the hunger.

vickster

Legendary Member
You are assuming he is overweight and has fat to burn, he could be one of these skinny youthful types that weighs about as much as a fag packet and has under 10% bodyfat. Certainly cutting out processed sweet stuff and replacing with proper fresh food is never bad

Top Bottom