Eating to commute ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Eat
He is overweight, he already wrote he is in his first post. Cycling 18 miles each way shouldn't mean he has to eat an equivalent supertanker's worth of food. He should manage on a normal balanced diet. Just drink more water an don't eat late at night.
eating late at night and putting om weight is a myth

Well I suffer on the way home on a 18 mile commute. I realise I eat rubbish but I am trying to understand what I should eat late afternoon to get me home. I really struggle on the way home, more than because of the wind, hills etc

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well I suffer on the way home on a 18 mile commute. I realise I eat rubbish but I am trying to understand what I should eat late afternoon to get me home. I really struggle on the way home, more than because of the wind, hills etc

Fruit and nuts and I don't mean the choccy bar.

jcoomber

I tend to stick to 5 pretty simple rules

1. Minimal processed food
2. Low alcohol consumption (Low simple carb intake)
3. Keep protein intake above 1.5g per Kg of body weight
4. Drink more water
5. Track calories and alter every 14 days based upon results (e.g. weight gain etc)

To track cals i use MyFitnessPal app which has a sweet little barcode scanner and most things in shops are in there already. Simples. I hope this helps you or anyone else.

BigAl68

Über Member
Personally I have coffee at 4.30am, leave at 5am and cycle 17 miles then eat cereal or porridge and a banana

uclown2002

Guru
Eat

eating late at night and putting om weight is a myth
+1

jcoomber

Late night eating putting on calories is such a blanket statement, surely what the total calorie intake has been through out the day then if the nightly snack is either under or over will be the determining factor. Also the type of snack? Cake vs celery?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Wow, I'm reading through what people are eating and I keep on thinking, yes and, and, and where is the rest! A typical day for me, I'll take yesterday as an example.
250g of plain yoghurt eaten with around 10 ginger nut biscuits and 2 bananas before leaving for work. Then around 09:00 was three toast, three poached eggs, large serving of beans, 2 fried bread. Come lunch at twelve and in goes tuna sandwiches, made up from 6 rounds of bread and 2 tins of tuna. Dessert was 2 bananas an orange and a full malt loaf. Tea last night was 4 chicken breasts cooked in lemon sauce, 60g of rice, 4 vegetable samosas, 4 onion bhaji's and a garlic and coriander naan bread. Dessert being a strawberry Cornetto. About 4 teas and maybe 3 litres of squash spaced throughout the day for fluids. All this talk of food, I'm soooo hungry!

Tom B

Guru
I commute on average 8 miles each way (depending on if i choose the hilly route, the longer less hilly route, or the long and hilly route).
At work I will generally be cycling 20-25miles per shift.

I am not a subscriber to all the nutritional science stuff of protein shakes and energy bars etc - all sounds a bit too processed much to me.
I'm a believer in a good balanced diet with a bit of everything is great.

I generally am up 45-60mins before I leave, first job is a tea, followed by a couple of slices of toast and jam, porridge and jam or 4 weetabix with a teaspoon of brown sugar, treacle or jam followed by another mug of tea.

I dont like eating in the office so other than a glass of tap water or milk i dont eat.

At my 1000 break (I start at 0700) I'll have another cuppa, and normally weetabix or a porridge if i'm hungry, although i have recently bought a frying pan for work and 2-4 poached eggs on toast are doable in the fifteen mins.

I am a big fan of a proper cooked meal at lunch so my lunch will usually be canteen special, (choose from all of the usuals - Steak pud, pasties, pies, stir fry, chicken pieces in sauce of the moment, spag bol, lasagne, risotto, etc etc ) usually with rice, pasta, spuds, mash and a couple of veg) water, juice or hot choc if its cold.

I have recently found that drinking 500ml of cordial or water before starting my commute home has a massive positive affect on performance and on how I feel. I chuck in one of them effervescent tabs if it is hot weather.

Tea will be something like cottage pie, chilli con carne, steak and chips, chicken breast and something to make it interesting. In hot weather i struggle to eat so tea would be a sandwich. All served with lashings of fresh veg/salad. Tea is usually a smaller portion than lunch.

If I am working lates then tea/lunch are generally swapped around...

It would be easy to eat crap at work, kebabs, chippy, chineese, ready meals. But once you get yourself sorted out with a few pots and pans, it is surprisingly easy to eat simple fresh cooked meals at work.
All that said, when working lates on a Tuesday I do partake in Takeaway Tuesday.

On the occasions where my mileage goes through the roof I find myself eating like a horse - usually just larger amounts of what I normally eat.

If I snack, i try to choose a banana its cheaper than chocolate, but i don't really like bannanas and struggle to get them down so it puts me off snacking.

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth and find i wont eat chocolate or sweets unless they are put in front of me. My guilty pleasure is cheese!

On the rare occasions I do events, sportifs, sprint tris, runs etc I will drink SIS GO Electrolyte drink before and during.

Under 50 miles I find that my performance is more related to hydration than energy/food/carbs. The moment I feel crampy i drink and drink with electrolytes where possible. Even if it is when I get home or to work.

I am early 30s, 5'10 and weigh somewhere between 10½ and 11 stone.

Last edited:

Leodis

Veteran
I read somewhere that breakfast post commute equals a 20% weight reduction over eating pre commute.

I keep an eye on diet and weight loss via MyFitnessPal, through the week mainly as the weekend has the club run and booze :thumbsup: not in that order but mostly.

Top Bottom