Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderdog

Whats with the big red letters DO NOT POST TO FRANCE did l do something wrong :bicycle: still like the bike though !
Don't take it personally ... doesn't post to Oz either. Don't know that I'd chance freighting a bike to the other side of the world with the all care and bugger all responsibility approach of airlines.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. Where someone might not bid at all if they know there's a starting price of, say, £100 for something, if they can start off cheaper and build up to it without knowing what the reserve is, that same person will often get caught up in the bidding and up bidding more than the £100.

There was a Galaxy needing a bit of TLC recently on eBay with a low start price of £48 and a B-I-N price of £68. It attracted bids, so the B-I-N option was therefore withdrawn, and it ended up selling for £92. When deciding wither to bid or B-I-N, you have to weigh up, are you willing to pay the B-I-N premium above the start price to guarantee getting the item, or do you believe that the listing will attract little interest so you try to get a hardcore bargain?

Alan O

Über Member
There was a Galaxy needing a bit of TLC recently on eBay with a low start price of £48 and a B-I-N price of £68. It attracted bids, so the B-I-N option was therefore withdrawn, and it ended up selling for £92. When deciding wither to bid or B-I-N, you have to weigh up, are you willing to pay the B-I-N premium above the start price to guarantee getting the item, or do you believe that the listing will attract little interest so you try to get a hardcore bargain?
Ah yes, I was watching that one, and I expected someone to snap it up at £68 - even at £92 I think it was a bargain.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
A 23" 653 framed Barron in Grimsby, currently £35 with no reserve.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=253371105546&globalID=EBAY-GB

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I remember reading about the psychology of reserve prices somewhere, but I can't remember where. Where someone might not bid at all if they know there's a starting price of, say, £100 for something, if they can start off cheaper and build up to it without knowing what the reserve is, that same person will often get caught up in the bidding and end up bidding more than the £100.

Yes, I can identify with that, Not a cycling example, but, a number of years ago, my youngest daughter had to set herself up in a new home, from scratch (long story). I said I would help her out (as Dad's do), and went on the Website of a well known retailer at the time (now long gone). They had a section where you could bid for cosmetically damaged "white goods". I did manage to acquire a cooker, fridge, freezer and washing machine for her, over a period of weeks. But, one of the things I noted was, sometimes, "seconds" sold for more than you could buy the same item for, on the main website. Crazy, but, clearly, some people just get caught up in the bidding frenzy!

scarygerbil

If only............... oh if only this bike was a teeny weeny bit smaller and if I hadn't bought what I did a few months ago!

The Barron shed (it would be cruel to call it a shop) is a jewel of a forgotten place to visit in Stow, Lincs.

So sad that this rural jewel of a company no longer makes bikes, but boy oh boy their shed in Stow, Lincs. is an amazing place to visit and as for the Barron family they are so nice and accommodating.

Top Bottom