Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks nice .

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Am I right that Dawes' Galaxy is the most faked bike on the market? It just seems to me that any Tom, Dick and Harry would be quite prepared to slap a label on any half-decent steel lugged bike and sell it on as one...

I must admit I am no expert, but who thinks this is a real un?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
frame looks very much like my daughter's '80s raleigh (below), but of course maybe dawes sourced frames from the same place. surely there are better names to fake than dawes; would the expense of a respray and restickering make a buy it now price of £135 viable? not so sure…

rhapsody.jpg

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
frame looks very much like my daughter's '80s raleigh (below), but of course maybe dawes sourced frames from the same place. surely there are better names to fake than dawes; would the expense of a respray and restickering make a buy it now price of £135 viable? not so sure

I don't think a respray, just a Galaxy label is needed for the unwary. I think the difference in "value" between a genuine Galaxy and a normal steel framed Dawes is approximately double or even triple. I recently sold a well used, 1980s, Galaxy for £200.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dawes is a Galaxy. The lugwork looks a bit fancier than a gas-pipe special (or than the Raleigh that alec-etc put up)and that's very hard to fake.

curzons246

Veteran
Gone by 2128hrs

DresdenDoom

Am thinking of buying this for my SO. Well actually I want it for ME to play with, but she might like it too! It's a Tom Bromwich Mixte. A little underpriced at the mo I feel too lol. Does anyone know anything about the brand, it looks quite classy.

asterix

Comrade Member
Am I right that Dawes' Galaxy is the most faked bike on the market? It just seems to me that any Tom, Dick and Harry would be quite prepared to slap a label on any half-decent steel lugged bike and sell it on as one...

I'd stick my neck and say it's the real thing! Galaxies have gone through a lot of mutations and the componentry is right for a quality bike of that era. Mind you, mixte frames are not the sort of thing you'd associate with a good tourer these days.

Yes, I can just about guarantee that that's a genuine Galaxy, my wife had one exactly the same but we converted it for a friend to a flat bar bike with indexed shifting. Frame is actually fairly light and reasonably stiff. The twin sloping top tubes look quite classy in my view.

Gordon

Top Bottom