Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
There also seem to be a few new parts on that bike. Look at the head on shot. The bar tape has no wear at all and the levers look new, as do the gear change levers and the hanger where the front brake cable goes through (maybe the bars too but its hard to tell).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Anyone come across Borngen before? Resprayed with Columbus tubing and in W. Yorkshire: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Borngen-...rame-And-Forks-Retro-Racing-Bike/303182662408

s-l1600.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Decidely iffy. Why are there fork threads showing above the top of the headset? Replacement forks not cut to size? The top of the headset wouldn't normally have an inside diameter even to allow the fork to pass through, surely? So what's going on there?
It could be that there was a spacer in there before refurbishment. Maybe he lost it? Whoever thinks of buying it should ask him about that.

Looks a nice bike though. He has a reserve of £200 on it, so why didn't he start the bidding at that (or just below it)?

Edit: btw I think it might be German, going by the lettering on the headbadge (maybe Swiss or Austrian).

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
It could be that there was a spacer in there before refurbishment. Maybe he lost it? Whoever thinks of buying it should ask him about that.

Looks a nice bike though. He has a reserve of £200 on it, so why didn't he start the bidding at that (or just below it)?

Edit: btw I think it might be German, going by the lettering on the headbadge (maybe Swiss or Austrian).
Doesn't explain why that top locknut allows the fork threads through; it should have an inside diameter to fit fairly snugly round the stem, ~22.5mm?
Assuming the steerer is standard 1", it must be 25.4mm or slightly more; has it been enlarged to fit the steerer? I don't know what the headset is, but it doesn't look to be a particularly short stack height, and I can't imagine the frame maker supplied forks needing (from the photo) an additional 15mm of spacers which wouldn't normally be supplied with most headsets. Anyway, I don't need n+1, and if I did, it wouldn't be that one. ^_^

Kempstonian

Doesn't explain why that top locknut allows the fork threads through; it should have an inside diameter to fit fairly snugly round the stem, ~22.5mm?
Assuming the steerer is standard 1", it must be 25.4mm or slightly more; has it been enlarged to fit the steerer? I don't know what the headset is, but it doesn't look to be a particularly short stack height, and I can't imagine the frame maker supplied forks needing (from the photo) an additional 15mm of spacers which wouldn't normally be supplied with most headsets. Anyway, I don't need n+1, and if I did, it wouldn't be that one. ^_^
Yeah you're probably right. I was just looking for another reason why it might be like that. So it looks like he replaced the forks when he renovated the bike.

I won't be bidding on it either. :smile:

Top Bottom