Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Managed to buy this 531 Dawes Galaxy 23.5 frame for 30 quid off eBay. My intentions are to build it back up after painting and use bits and another Galaxy 21 inch which is too small for me

Same money as I paid for my 23 1/2" Royal, which I am delighted with as the fork chrome is very good, along with most of the whole bike. Rack & mudguards ain't pretty, but I'm intending to run it without either fitted as a dry weather fun ride, since I've got plenty of flat bar workhorse bikes already rack & mudguard equipped.

RamoRuon

£30 for each of those?! Blimey, I'm looking in the wrong places :laugh: !

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
£30 for each of those?! Blimey, I'm looking in the wrong places :laugh: !

You've got to be a hardcore bargain hunter. I've lost count of the number of high priced ones I've either just passed over or been outbid on. I started actively looking for a Dawes Galaxy/Raleigh Royal/Randonneur about 18 months ago, and I could have bought a hundred of the things in that time if I was more spendy. Eventually though, the right bike at the right price will come up - either because it's poorly described or poorly photographed in the listing, or it's at the time of year when the weather is shite and people are skint after Christmas so cycling is not high on their priorities. Now the autumn is approaching, the bargains will get better and better.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
1930's Humber gents cycle with leather Lycett saddle at Arthur Johnson's in Nottingham this Saturday 21/9/2019 lot 2300
https://www.arthurjohnson.co.uk/auctions/0870/S5?s=2300
2300.jpg

Lot 2301 is a Sun tandem vintage cycle
2301.jpg

Some other bikes too, but not vintage!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You've got to be a hardcore bargain hunter. I've lost count of the number of high priced ones I've either just passed over or been outbid on. I started actively looking for a Dawes Galaxy/Raleigh Royal/Randonneur about 18 months ago, and I could have bought a hundred of the things in that time if I was more spendy. Eventually though, the right bike at the right price will come up - either because it's poorly described or poorly photographed in the listing, or it's at the time of year when the weather is shite and people are skint after Christmas so cycling is not high on their priorities. Now the autumn is approaching, the bargains will get better and better.
My frame had been on for a week or so buy it now £40.00 or make an offer so I did £30 There were 28 watchers no offers? I wanted a 23.5 frame in 531 so I bought it I have a complete Dawes Galaxy but with a 21inch frame so it’s paint the new frame in the colour I want and swap over all the bits

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My frame had been on for a week or so buy it now £40.00 or make an offer so I did £30 There were 28 watchers no offers?

I often watch listings I have no intention of doing a BIN or bid on, just to see if it sells or attracts any interest. I suspect a lot of others do exactly the same, especially if they consider the item overpriced or just want to get a feel for the going rate.
It can be a useful way of getting notified if an overpriced item gets relisted at a lower start, because if you are watching you will get an email if the item is subsequently relisted. I actually bought one like that; the first time round the bidding got too high so I sat on my hands and just watched it to see how high the bids went.. The sale must have then fallen through for some reason, because a week later same one gets relisted at the original start price. The second time round I put a lowball bid in, and no-one else bid at all. Job done!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Managed to buy this 531 Dawes Galaxy 23.5 frame for 30 quid off eBay. My intentions are to build it back up after painting and use bits and another Galaxy 21 inch which is too small for me
Nice. Is that a 1970's frame?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
1930's Humber gents cycle with leather Lycett saddle at Arthur Johnson's in Nottingham this Saturday 21/9/2019 lot 2300
https://www.arthurjohnson.co.uk/auctions/0870/S5?s=2300
View attachment 485849
Lot 2301 is a Sun tandem vintage cycle
View attachment 485850

Some other bikes too, but not vintage!
Update: Humber went for £65, Sun tandem for £45, both hammer prices subject to 24% premium.

(I can remember when there was no buyer's commission; when it was introduced it was 4% inc vat!)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 485997

Another Raleigh Royal here, ends today and is currently at £28, pick up from Loughborough.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283614467032

Just made over the £100 mark

Update: Humber went for £65, Sun tandem for £45, both hammer prices subject to 24% premium.

(I can remember when there was no buyer's commission; when it was introduced it was 4% inc vat!)

Wow that tandem went cheep cheep

Top Bottom