Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I always think a photo with a clean and tidy garden backdrop gives you confidence that the chain has oil on it 😂

From a buyer's perspective I prefer poor pictures and a total lack of presentational or descriptive effort on the part of the seller. A visibly red rusty chain is a bonus, in my experience. Nothing puts the punters off more than obvious rust. Flat tyres that have unseated from the rim are another plus, as they indicate either they won't hold air or the seller can't even be arsed to pump them up to find out. I suspect a lot of buyers only want ready-to-ride condition bikes, and so anything that looks neglected tends to only fetch very low money. Cheap is what you want if looking for a fixer-upper or parts donor.

Gunk

Guru
Most of what we buy has a backdrop of bins and weeds 🤦‍♂️

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This seller has a vintage New Hudson in West Yorkshire for £50 start plus two other vintage-style bikes he made himself: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Huds...eran-Vintage-Collector-s-bicycle/223946591650

s-l1600.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Daccordi mentioned by @Spiderweb reached £155, which I reckon was a fair enough price. The seller has relisted, with the same reserve in the blurb. You have to admire his persistence, but I reckon it still isn't going to sell! What he doesn't seem to get, is the market decides what something is worth, not the vendor!

The Daccordi mentioned by @Spiderweb reached £155, which I reckon was a fair enough price. The seller has relisted, with the same reserve in the blurb. You have to admire his persistence, but I reckon it still isn't going to sell! What he doesn't seem to get, is the market decides what something is worth, not the vendor!
Remember we talked about seller persistence? The Scott like mine, which I saw on ebay back when I got it in 2017, is STILL for sale. Either he's that persistent or the bike doesn't actually exist...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
531-framed Raleigh - frame plus bits? - currently £17 in Boston: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Reynolds-531-bike-frame/324106570369

s-l1600.jpg

carpenter

Über Member
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I had a quick look.

I was wondering about members thoughts on "collection only" in eBay listings, given the current travel restrictions. More specifically, do you think this will result in:

fewer bikes for sale
lower prices
higher prices
more available with postage included

Some/all of the above or different completely?

The reason I ask, is that my wife has tried my Orange MTB and loves it. So I looked for a vintage MTB on eBay, and very few available posted (and I don't feel inclined to collect at present!)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I had a quick look.

I was wondering about members thoughts on "collection only" in eBay listings, given the current travel restrictions. More specifically, do you think this will result in:

fewer bikes for sale
lower prices
higher prices
more available with postage included

Some/all of the above or different completely?

The reason I ask, is that my wife has tried my Orange MTB and loves it. So I looked for a vintage MTB on eBay, and very few available posted (and I don't feel inclined to collect at present!)

I am thinking of removing mine as not sure I want strangers just turning up .

Top Bottom