Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It will probably go to that boring twunt on the CTC forum. He's always loudly regretting selling his beloved steed, but is probably too tight to buy a decent real one.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bit of age to the orange one judging by the saddle and the rust, sorry steel, rims.

Panniers could be worth a few quid as well...if you can get them dry again^_^

Always a gamble at auctions even more so if you can't go and look beforehand .
I don't think any of the frames are anything special , but a cheap set of spares maybe .

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Always a gamble at auctions even more so if you can't go and look beforehand .
I don't think any of the frames are anything special , but a cheap set of spares maybe .
Yes, apart from the rusty rims on the orange bike there look to be some useful parts there. I wonder what the two mens bikes are, I can't see any names on them?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
There couldn't have been much time left on that one because it finished yesterday! Sold for just £20 too - an absolute bargain!

Chris S

Legendary Member
There couldn't have been much time left on that one because it finished yesterday! Sold for just £20 too - an absolute bargain!
I'd have risked nipping over to Halesowen if I knew it was going to sell for something like that.

midlife

Guru
The red gas pipe Eddy Merckx from Falcon had chrome forks ends and no lamp boss, plus the decals are not all there. Its a Falcon but not sure what lol

Boon 51

Veteran
Evening all.. I was having a look a a vintage bike that had Campag gearing as OE but the owner has sold them and replaced with Tiagra gearing would that knock the price down?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Evening all.. I was having a look a a vintage bike that had Campag gearing as OE but the owner has sold them and replaced with Tiagra gearing would that knock the price down?

When weighing up an old bike, think about what sort of quality league the frame is in and what sort of component level you would expect to have been fitted when it was new. People rarely saved up to buy high quality frames then fitted cheap mechanicals.
It's very common for people to buy a nice vintage bike just for the mechanicals, take these off, then either resell the bare frame by itself or fit the frame with cheaper bits they had lying around before resale.
When I see a bike that has poor condition mechanicals, or lower budget mechanicals have been fitted in place of more expensive ones, then I assess the value of the bike to be the value of whatever quality the frame itself is and not a lot more than that. Two of my 531's were acquired on the basis I paid what I thought just the frame was realistically worth and any mechanicals that turned out to be in useable condition was a bonus.

Top Bottom